Stupid Train Fines!

Watch
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Was on the train yesterday with my girlfriend and whilst we were chatting the ticket person came to us to observe our tickets. I showed mine and my girlfriend pulled out her bag to pay her fare, however, she realised she'd left her purse at home. I told the guy I'd pay for her but he starts saying that she should've paid for a ticket at the station and he was planning on giving her a fine of £20 when she pulled out her purse. I thought this was pretty harsh and told him that he should've informed us of this £20 first. Anyway I pulled out £20 and he says I cannot accept money from another customer

He tells my girl to follow him to the corner of the train (I followed them of course because there's no law saying I can't). He pulls out some form and instructs her to fill in the personal details, and that she could be called to court and fined a lot more. Whilst he wasn't near us I told her to not fill any of her information on the form and make stuff up. We got off the next stop before we reached the main station where all the managers etc are.

Anywho, how stupid was this? I mean I offered to pay the fare, then the £20 fine but now way in Hell was I going to let my girlfriend fill in that form correctly.

Any of you had any experiences like this before?
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does seem a little over zealous of the guard.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Unless you're on one of those lines which has unmanned stations, it's entirely reasonable for them to fine you for travelling without a valid ticket.

The bit about refusing to let you pay the fine is more stupid though.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
At the end of the day they could've got £20 from us but decided to provide us with a form (which they should know full well we're not going to fill in accordingly).
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
Also why do I get the feeling had it been a regular in first class or an elderly couple he would've just warned them and accepted the £5 fare. He seemed happy to try and rob us because we're teenagers.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The falsifying personal information was a nice touch
eggnchips
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Life is full of bitter jobsworth idiot's getting a thrill out of the little bit of power they have, their pathetic dont let them bother you.
ChapelTom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
Was on the train yesterday with my girlfriend and whilst we were chatting the ticket person came to us to observe our tickets. I showed mine and my girlfriend pulled out her bag to pay her fare, however, she realised she'd left her purse at home. I told the guy I'd pay for her but he starts saying that she should've paid for a ticket at the station and he was planning on giving her a fine of £20 when she pulled out her purse. I thought this was pretty harsh and told him that he should've informed us of this £20 first. Anyway I pulled out £20 and he says I cannot accept money from another customer

He tells my girl to follow him to the corner of the train (I followed them of course because there's no law saying I can't). He pulls out some form and instructs her to fill in the personal details, and that she could be called to court and fined a lot more. Whilst he wasn't near us I told her to not fill any of her information on the form and make stuff up. We got off the next stop before we reached the main station where all the managers etc are.

Anywho, how stupid was this? I mean I offered to pay the fare, then the £20 fine but now way in Hell was I going to let my girlfriend fill in that form correctly.

Maybe if you'd bought your ticket like the rest of us have to do then you'd not be posting on here. I pay £50 a week out for train fares and have never attempted to once avoid my fare. I'd love to dodge a fare as £50 is a lot of cash but its the law and so I can't.

£20 is getting off quite lightly, you could have been MG11ed - that's prosecution. You've been lucky.

Btw falsifying information is also an offence and if caught, that £20 could go up by a few hundred quid.

As for picking on you for being teenagers, that's ludicrous, many fare dodgers are businessmen. I'm 18, 2 weeks ago I had no method to pay other than a bank card that couldn't be used on the train, I had cash but not enough to pay, I met the gate-line at Manchester Piccadilly and because I'd shown will to pay, allowed me to go to the cash machine and pay.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He "started saying" that because if you're in a penalty fare zone, you must buy a ticket before boarding the train or pay the penalty fare.

Can admit I can't understand why he didn't take your money as the fare.
ChapelTom
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They aren't commercial guards that run on Driver Operated Only trains. If this was a guard, he should have taken payment but the man described sounds like an RPI. I've no sympathy, UNLESS he was a guard with a machine. On a railway forum I frequent, the OP would be told the same. Now other posters, please understand I know a bit about ticketing and the like, I engage in fare avoidance where I pay less for my journeys through legitimate avenues... e.g.I buy a Chinley to Southport ticket, £12 as opposed to be £15.90 for Chinley to Liverpool, the £12 ticket is valid via Liverpool.

My comments aren't intended to be nasty, just telling the truth as it is.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChapelTom)
Maybe if you'd bought your ticket like the rest of us have to do then you'd not be posting on here. I pay £50 a week out for train fares and have never attempted to once avoid my fare. I'd love to dodge a fare as £50 is a lot of cash but its the law and so I can't.

£20 is getting off quite lightly, you could have been MG11ed - that's prosecution. You've been lucky.

Btw falsifying information is also an offence and if caught, that £20 could go up by a few hundred quid.

As for picking on you for being teenagers, that's ludicrous, many fare dodgers are businessmen. I'm 18, 2 weeks ago I had no method to pay other than a bank card that couldn't be used on the train, I had cash but not enough to pay, I met the gate-line at Manchester Piccadilly and because I'd shown will to pay, allowed me to go to the cash machine and pay.
Read before you post false statements, I brought my ticket however, my girlfriend forgot her purse (she buys one everyday just like you, she just forgot her purse at home). I offered to pay her fare but he wouldn't take it, so I was willing to pay her ticket on the spot which is a lot better than your scenario because you had nothing. So why was you allowed to withdraw cash and my cash which I had in my hand rejected?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Read before you post false statements, I brought my ticket however, my girlfriend forgot her purse (she buys one everyday just like you, she just forgot her purse at home). I offered to pay her fare but he wouldn't take it, so I was willing to pay her ticket on the spot which is a lot better than your scenario because you had nothing. So why was you allowed to withdraw cash and my cash which I had in my hand rejected?
So she was travelling without a valid ticket? Sounds fine-able to me - though as I've said I don't understand why they didn't let you pay the fine.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
So she was travelling without a valid ticket? Sounds fine-able to me - though as I've said I don't understand why they didn't let you pay the fine.
Fair enough there was fine, but the thing that annoys me is that I offered to pay for the fare/fine but the guy didn't take it. Then he expects her to fill out a form which could lead to a court hearing, the rail staff should just take the money from anyone to cover fare and penalty costs, because he didn't take my money my girlfriend basically got off free. And I bet this happens to loads of commuters (they forget their money and basically jot down bs on this form to get a free journey). I'm trying to help the system lmao.
little_wizard123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What a prick for not allowing you to pay. That makes no sense whatsoever. It's like me being on the train with my gf and the guy not allowing me to buy a ticket for her. He only didn't let you pay because he knew that she couldn't.

Edit: No idea why I'm being negged. I never said anything about the fact he should've already bought tickets, all I said was it was ridiculous that the guy wouldn't let someone else pay the fine. :rolleyes:
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
(Original post by little_wizard123)
What a prick for not allowing you to pay. That makes no sense whatsoever. It's like me being on the train with my gf and the guy not allowing me to buy a ticket for her. He only didn't let you pay because he knew that she couldn't.
I know, very annoying. I started enquiring about the whole matter but he just didn't seem to care, then some old women who also works on the train started running her mouth at me like I was some child:facepalm:
ChapelTom
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Glad you can read my earlier post, the guard may not have been a commercial one and wouldn't have had a ticket machine, if he did have one and wasn't willing to sell the ticket then I agree its harsh.

But guards get a lot of stick for no particular reason, I saw a woman have a right go at one because he didn't know why we were delayed, which was true, on-board staff receive little info and aren't as well paid as you'd think.

Oh btw OP, there's no such thing as a fine on the railway, these can only be issued by courts. As its a breach of byelaws, its called a penalty fare. I'm not being pedantic, there's a world of difference. Tell me, your origin, your destination and I could help, or point you in the direction of it if you think it was harsh... www.railforums.co.uk - I post under a similar name on there...
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why didnt you attempt to buy your girlfriends ticket before you got on the train?
~carly~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

That is silly, even sillier (if thats a word) is when i have paid £20-£30 for my train journey and no one checks my ticket....its so frustrating i coulda got on the train without paying grrr...not that i would ofcourse!
King Leonidas
Rep:
?

Edit: No idea why I'm being negged. I never said anything about the fact he should've already bought tickets, all I said was it was ridiculous that the guy wouldn't let someone else pay the fine. :rolleyes:
I pos repped you, hope it helps.
Snammus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I find inconsistency an issue. Due to Sheffield being a busy station on saturday mornings, a lot of customers purchase local tickets on the train (and I confirmed this was ok with a guard before boarding). The following 2 weeks, this was not an issue, but the next week I was then told I would be fined and he wouldn't accept it was a genuine misunderstanding on my behalf or give me a warning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (145)
30.02%
No (338)
69.98%

Watched Threads