The Student Room Group

Nutrition and Dietetics - where oh where?

Hi

Due to unforseen circumstances I have just come to realise that I would like to study Nutrition and Dietetics and eventually be able to advise people on diet etc. I have good exam results so hopefully would be accepted at any university if not too late. But which one to choose to get the best degree with Job Prospects? I am happy to go anywhere but I come from Aberdeen and there seems to be a good course at Robert Gordon.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Queen Margaret is apparently very good for dietetics - the course seems to have a good rep outside of Scotland as the two dieticians I know are from England and NI.
Reply 2
Thanks for your information. I shall go and see what they have to offer. I see they are moving to a new campus - is that seen as an exciting prospect or will moving out of the centre of Edinburgh seem strange?

Thanks
Reply 3
Hehe, I was just talking about this at fencing practice tonight.
The new campus is right by the train station and is 6 minutes from Waverley on the train (and considering it's 4 minutes Waverley - Haymarket, and 15 minutes to QM from there on the bus, it seems closer). There apparently isn't going to be a lot of onsite parking as a pro-environment thing, which is annoying some people. All the campuses will be together at Musselburgh which should be nice - at the moment the theatre people are mainly at Gateway, the health people are mainly at Leith, and the rest are mainly here at Corstorphine. I think the move will lead to more societies and things, generally a better student life type buzz about the uni. Or at least that's what I'm hopeful for (as someone who didn't join the uni choir because they rehearse in Leith).
If you have any other questions about QM, do let me know. Nobody else on here seems to go, so I do like having someone to ramble at :frown: :biggrin:
Reply 4
No don't go to QMUC - Robert Gordan University in Aberdeen would be much better, (see my previous post as to why), honestly a lot of the people i know (i'm from edinburgh) had a really rubbish experience at QM, and ended up leaving the place. One of my friends hated it so much she rang every uni she could think of to get a transfer and ended up going to Wales to get away from it!
Reply 5
If you're going to slag off QM, at least back it up. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Well, look at the University league tables if you want back up....its not high. Also my friend said it was like entering the underground when you enter the main building...sounds horrible.
Reply 7
1 - Err, it is pretty high actually. 44 (Guardian) and 55 (Times) is pretty good out of about 120.
2 - Going in the main entrance at sunset....lovely. The only undergroundy bits would be like the mail room and its corridor- hardly regular destinations (unless you're the most hardcore ebay junkie)
3 - Oh so you're slagging off the place without ever actually having been there?
Reply 8
Acaila
1 - Err, it is pretty high actually. 44 (Guardian) and 55 (Times) is pretty good out of about 120.
2 - Going in the main entrance at sunset....lovely. The only undergroundy bits would be like the mail room and its corridor- hardly regular destinations (unless you're the most hardcore ebay junkie)
3 - Oh so you're slagging off the place without ever actually having been there?

1. No that is not high, its halfway up the table, which is average.
2. Are you deluded the main entrance is like hitting a delapidated war path! The whole place has a stinky smell from catering in the bottom concourse.
3. No i've attended it so I know what I'm talking about, you won't change my opinion. Yes, you're right i'm slagging the place off because I want to warn people about it and spend their money on a better uni
Reply 9
1. Compared to other unis in Scotland, and considering of factors like age, number of subjects offered, etc.
2. Ad hominem arguments, tsk tsk tsk
3. Well if you want to warn people about it, I'll turn up everywhere you do and sing it's praises :smile:
Reply 10
Acaila
1. Compared to other unis in Scotland, and considering of factors like age, number of subjects offered, etc.
2. Ad hominem arguments, tsk tsk tsk
3. Well if you want to warn people about it, I'll turn up everywhere you do and sing it's praises :smile:

1. You can makes excuses for it, but it dosen't cut the mustard academically.
2. True argument though!
3. I'll keep unsinging it's praises - I used to hate the fact that everyone called it Queen Margaret College, it made you feel robbed that you weren't at a proper uni, but then I realised it was true.
Reply 11
1. Which explains why we're in charge of some of Edinburgh uni's research programmes :wink:. Frankly, going by the huge number of people I know who aren't from Scotland, it must be a pretty good place to attract people to come all the way here to study.
2. Err no, ad hominem arguments aren't true arguments.
3. We just annoy people at sports competitions. At Glasgow, they've just given up and call us QMU. In any case, from the circulars I'm reading, getting that name officially is going rather well.
Reply 12
Acaila
1. Which explains why we're in charge of some of Edinburgh uni's research programmes :wink:. Frankly, going by the huge number of people I know who aren't from Scotland, it must be a pretty good place to attract people to come all the way here to study.
2. Err no, ad hominem arguments aren't true arguments.
3. We just annoy people at sports competitions. At Glasgow, they've just given up and call us QMU. In any case, from the circulars I'm reading, getting that name officially is going rather well.

Bored, cos i'm up doing an essay for deadline tomorrow....
1. I don't think that's a valid reason, the many people I knew from England, N.Ireland had come through clearing as they couldn't get into their firm or insurance choices. There was a general apathy about going to the place, they just went because they could get into the course.
3. Who wants to have to go through trying to justify that you are not at college but university to everyone all the time.The fact that they don't have a full uni title justifies my point.
Reply 13
1. Well not the ones I know. I don't know anybody who got in through clearing, or even had it as an insurance. Usually, interviews, auditions and higher grade requirements than the "top unis" in Scotland for certain courses mean that it would be rather difficult to have it as an insurance.
2. What point? No it doesn't justify anything. The uni title will almost certainly be changing soon (as will the campus), so your arguments about that fall down, even if they had merit in the first place.
Reply 14
Well everybody I knew went through clearing, I know the course you are doing is highly valued, and has high requirements, but that is not the case for a lot of the other courses there, e.g. Business, Social Sciences.

At the moment, it is not a University so whether it changes into a University or not, is another matter (frankly, it will join a whole host of other Unis that should not be called Unis).
Reply 15
QMUC is the best uni in scotland to do dietetics at. I'm currently in 2nd year and the course is absolutely wonderful. it has the longest running course in the country, and the new campus (opens sep 2007) is going to be very hi tech and have all the latest facilities that we as students will need e.g. textbooks, computers, databases etc. The current facilities are fab, and getting hold of literature etc is brilliant. QMUC usually has places available through clearing too if you have the right qualifications. All the reports on quality for Dietetics here have come back as excellent, i would urge you to apply, you won't regret it! The course has a mix of nationalities, and age groups, with quite a few older students also taking the course. In the 1st 2 years you take a lot of modules with students studying nutrition and human biology so you get an opportunity to make friends across different courses! :smile:
Reply 16
lynn20
Well everybody I knew went through clearing, I know the course you are doing is highly valued, and has high requirements, but that is not the case for a lot of the other courses there, e.g. Business, Social Sciences.

At the moment, it is not a University so whether it changes into a University or not, is another matter (frankly, it will join a whole host of other Unis that should not be called Unis).

QMUC is a university. The university got an opportunity to take college of its name in the 70's i believe but rejected it. Now even the government is unsure of its title (by name only), so QMUC has to apply to become a university by name and the title is sure to be awarded within the next 12 months (we are currently been assessed by QAA for this name change). QMUC acts like every other university, it has quality researchers employed in ALL departments, so you can be sure the teaching you get will be up to date and relevant. One of our lecturers goes to australia every year at christmas as part of his research. Any questions, feel free to ask! The name change is only happening so we can apply to more funding bodies for money for projects such as research. :smile:
Reply 17
lynn20

Its funny how all the current students of QMUC think its great... How long ago were the people you knew there? QMUC deserves university title, and as a student rep there, i know it has fully met all the requirements to be a university. Fair enough the student population is small, but it has over 90% graduates find a job after leaving...

And it does have a high ranking UK wide: A quote from the QMUC website: Queen Margaret University College has been named Britain’s top higher education college in The Sunday Times University Guide.

If that isn't a reason to got to QMUC then i don't know what is! Every single dietetic graduate finds a job, and the majority of these are not in scotland but in England, Wales or Ireland. QMUC is the most widely known dietetic course in the country, and is respected by almost every dietetic department in the UK. If the graduate wnats a dietetic job after the course, the employability is 100%, guaranteed!
Reply 18
How long ago were the people you knew there?

has been named Britain’s top higher education college

QMUC is the most widely known dietetic course in the country, and is respected by almost every dietetic department in the UK. QUOTE]

The people I knew were from about 2/3 years ago, so some would still be there. Fair enough if everyone you know likes it, I didn't find that the case, however.

Note it was named top higher education college, I don't see University anywhere in that title which justifies my point further. Yes it is a top college, but university, no it isn't.

Yes i know it is rated well for dietetics, physiotherapy, OT, drama etc, i'm not disputing that, but for other courses such as business, social sciences it is not rated well. Yes there is a 90% employment rate but if you go behind the scenes and find out the destinations of what graduates are doing, a lot of it is not graduate level employment (expect your vocational subjects like dietetics, OT etc). Ask registry if you don't believe me.

You know, one of my lecturers told me when I was in first year that it used to be a 'baking' college, and that it wasn't that much better really now, when your lecturers say that, how does that instil great belief that it is a University. When everyone calls it Queen Margaret College, i used to think it was funny students trying to correct everyone and call it Queen Margaret University.
Reply 19
How long ago were the people you knew there?

has been named Britain’s top higher education college QUOTE

QMUC is the most widely known dietetic course in the country, and is respected by almost every dietetic department in the UK. QUOTE]

The people I knew were from about 2/3 years ago, so some would still be there. Fair enough if everyone you know likes it, I didn't find that the case, however.
Note it was named top higher education college, I don't see University anywhere in that title which justifies my point further. Yes it is a top college, but university, no it isn't.

Yes i know it is rated well for dietetics, physiotherapy, OT, drama etc, i'm not disputing that, but for other courses such as business, social sciences it is not rated well. Yes there is a 90% employment rate but if you go behind the scenes and find out the destinations of what graduates are doing, a lot of it is not graduate level employment (expect your vocational subjects like dietetics, OT etc). Ask registry if you don't believe me.

You know, one of my lecturers told me when I was in first year that it used to be a 'baking' college, and that it wasn't that much better really now, when your lecturers say that, how does that instil great belief that it is a University. When everyone calls it Queen Margaret College, i used to think it was funny students trying to correct everyone and call it Queen Margaret University. I just think it's lousy trying to call it something it isn't.

Latest