Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having just been rejected from Durham I am considering taking two years out to re-do my GCSEs and a further 2 A-Levels, possibly Chemistry/Physics/Politics and Computing. Below is a link to thread that is about my GCSEs. I am looking for advice now as I am really gutted about not being able to go to Durham... and I do not know what to do. Thank you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t188143.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauniemac)
    Having just been rejected from Durham I am considering taking two years out to re-do my GCSEs and a further 2 A-Levels, possibly Chemistry/Physics/Politics and Computing. Below is a link to thread that is about my GCSEs. I am looking for advice now as I am really gutted about not being able to go to Durham... and I do not know what to do. Thank you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t188143.html
    other universities can give you just as good opportunities. Personally, i dont think they will b impressed to see you took all your GCSEs again, and losing 2 years of your life without still being sure to get an offer is something i wouldnt advice. Obviously you are very disappointed about this rejection, but hey, there are other universities out there im really sorry about your rejection i was upset by my first one (UCL) but then i got offers from all the places i wanted to go to, so who knows, some good sursprises might be on their way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolo)
    other universities can give you just as good opportunities. Personally, i dont think they will b impressed to see you took all your GCSEs again, and losing 2 years of your life without still being sure to get an offer is something i wouldnt advice. Obviously you are very disappointed about this rejection, but hey, there are other universities out there im really sorry about your rejection i was upset by my first one (UCL) but then i got offers from all the places i wanted to go to, so who knows, some good sursprises might be on their way
    You have got an offer from Cambridge which is surely your first choice. Durham was my first choice. I have received replies from all my Unis. To see what they check my sig.

ReputationRep:
    *feels guilty* i know that as i got my first and second choice offers i cant possibly understand what its like to go through this (even thou in december i had my first reply from my first USA university application - yale - who said a big fat no to my face) but look, York is a good uni as well, and as much disappointed as you are right now, you will be grateful to yourself for not losing 2 years of your life to run after one university. York is ranked 5th in the UK for economics... i believe its not the case to throw it away (again, with 2 years of hard work and sorrow and stress).

whatever decision you will make, i wish you all the best, and i hope you'll at least consider my advice of sticking to one of your offers (life is short - as clichè as it sounds, its true)

ReputationRep:
    Re-taking your GCSE's would be a pointless exercise. You should concentrate on obtaining the highest grades which you are capable of achieving in your A-level examinations.

My advice would be to head to York. It is an excellent university.

ReputationRep:
    Do what makes you happy. Life is too short to do anything else
    Sorry I can't be of any help I don't really know much about the English system, but having 3 offers is a brilliant achievement- remember every year there are more applicants than places.
    With your grades you could try some Scottish uni's. Because our degrees are 4 years they often take English candidates with lower grades than most English unis. I think a typical offer is BBB for Edinburgh and with an Economics degree from there you can't go wrong!
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    Doing GCSE's would be pointless really, they don't care that much about them. (You did better than me). You have really great offers there. If you really want to go to Durham, then take one year off and do another A level or two (you should be able to do the whole thing in one year). But would they consider you next year if they rejected you this year, i have no idea, but it may be worth thinking about. The other three are really great universities. Just make sure that whatever you do you will be happy with it. =) Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    that's really rotten for you! getting rejected by three unis including your first choice is terrible, but remember if they weeded you out by your GCSE grades they'll probably do the same for resat GCSEs and a year out doing that won't be too great on your CV either
    on the other hand you do have some offers that you can meet by this autumn and get into a really good university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianthead)
    that's really rotten for you! getting rejected by three unis including your first choice is terrible, but remember if they weeded you out by your GCSE grades they'll probably do the same for resat GCSEs and a year out doing that won't be too great on your CV either
    on the other hand you do have some offers that you can meet by this autumn and get into a really good university
    According to the League Tables Durham is not that good for Economics and York is far better. I wanted to go to Durham for the social side of things, I thought I would have a really good time there. I applied to Bristol and Warwick knowing I wouldn't get an offer from them, I was just having a go, but like I said I did not expect an offer. I did feel I had a chance at Durham, they obviously didn't

ReputationRep:
    Durham seems to be really stuck up about admissions, I too haven't got ace GCSEs and decided not to bother. There are better/just as good places, you shouldn't bade your life around their decision.
    x
    x

--------------

I didn't get my first choice. Prove them wrong
    x

ReputationRep:
    But you've got three good offers! What makes you think you would only be happy at Durham? You've just got used to the idea of going to Durham and probably have done more research on Durham than on the other universities. I suggest you forger Durham completely for a while, talk to current and prospective students at York, visit their website and go have a look at the university if you haven't already done that. You might be positively surprised and realise that student life will be equally fun whether you go to York or Durham I mean it's the same everywhere from Oxbridge to Luton really: drinking, partying, going to lectures with a hang-over :rolleyes: If you still feel Durham is the only place for you, then keep a gap year.

Doing GCSEs again sounds like a pointless thing to do and you'd probably get fed up with doing it quite soon too. If you want to keep a gap year, do something actually usefyl: get work experience in your home country or abroad, resit A-levels etc. No one will be impressed by that fact that you got 10 A*s when you resat them at the age of 20 :rolleyes:

And one more thing: do you really think that you'd be happier first spending two years being absolutely bored doing GCSEs again and then going to Durham two years older than everyone else than going to a good university now and making the best of your time there? I'll be two years older than most other students (Finnish students graduate a year older than Brits plus I'm keeping a gap year) and trust me, two years makes a difference. I went to an Open day in the UK in summer and was shocked to see these really young-looking prospective students with their parents with them. It doesn't really bother me since I mainly see university as a place where I study and my social life doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with my uni, but you're obviously looking for something else so I really suggest you think things through.

And I hate it too when I don't succeed in something. I know how you feel. You hate the fact they won't let you in because you know you could succeed there and you know you could have done better in your GCSES. It's enough that you know it yourself, you really don't need to spend two years of your life proving that to yourself or others. Durham isn't worth that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kismet)
    But you've got three good offers! What makes you think you would only be happy at Durham? You've just got used to the idea of going to Durham and probably have done more research on Durham than on the other universities. I suggest you forger Durham completely for a while, talk to current and prospective students at York, visit their website and go have a look at the university if you haven't already done that. You might be positively surprised and realise that student life will be equally fun whether you go to York or Durham I mean it's the same everywhere from Oxbridge to Luton really: drinking, partying, going to lectures with a hang-over :rolleyes: If you still feel Durham is the only place for you, then keep a gap year.

Doing GCSEs again sounds like a pointless thing to do and you'd probably get fed up with doing it quite soon too. If you want to keep a gap year, do something actually usefyl: get work experience in your home country or abroad, resit A-levels etc. No one will be impressed by that fact that you got 10 A*s when you resat them at the age of 20 :rolleyes:

And one more thing: do you really think that you'd be happier first spending two years being absolutely bored doing GCSEs again and then going to Durham two years older than everyone else than going to a good university now and making the best of your time there? I'll be two years older than most other students (Finnish students graduate a year older than Brits plus I'm keeping a gap year) and trust me, two years makes a difference. I went to an Open day in the UK in summer and was shocked to see these really young-looking prospective students with their parents with them. It doesn't really bother me since I mainly see university as a place where I study and my social life doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with my uni, but you're obviously looking for something else so I really suggest you think things through.

And I hate it too when I don't succeed in something. I know how you feel. You hate the fact they won't let you in because you know you could succeed there and you know you could have done better in your GCSES. It's enough that you know it yourself, you really don't need to spend two years of your life proving that to yourself or others. Durham isn't worth that.
    I hear you...it would be 19 anyways...

ReputationRep:
    Go York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgangills)
    Go York.
    Lol after reading this in depth post, the first thing that came to my head was, "Me Tarzan, you Jane" jeez I am weird lol :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It befits the pretty idiotic original post.

Sorry to be harsh, but taking 2 years out just so you can get in to Durham, when you already have York. Two unis of a pretty similar level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgangills)
    It befits the pretty idiotic original post.

Sorry to be harsh, but taking 2 years out just so you can get in to Durham, when you already have York. Two unis of a pretty similar level.
    Lol oh my god! What an aggressive response to a JOKE! Oh dear, it appears someone is unable to laugh at themselves...

I wanted to go to Durham because of the social aspects, not the University's performance...

ReputationRep:
    York has a far better social life than the rather dry Durham.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see what universitities you applied to and got offers from (in your sig), but you really need to make the best of what you've already got. Re-taking GCSEs will not only be pointless, but also downgrade your UCAS form. Don't waste any time.

ReputationRep:
    yeh dont be thick, just see if Warwick or York whatever give you offers, if not take a yr out and just re-do some alevels and improve your overall cv. people with very gd gcse's still get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs really do not make all that much difference! I've not got one single GCSE due to immense family problems at the time and I've had offers from 2 universities (Cov and Northampton) on the basis of what I have done in the past 5 months alone.

I'd concentrate on what you are doing now if I were you. Your GCSE results were great, stop being so hard on yourself

laura

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.