Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is a ridiculous to waste two years retaking GCSEs and A-Levels just because you didn't get into Durham. Especially when York's economics department is better than Durham's. And where did you get the idea that the social life at Durham was so good? From my experience the city was very small and limited in terms of facilities and entertainment. The city of York is a lot bigger than Durham and has more clubs, pubs, bars, restaurants etc. Think with your head and be grateful that you have an offer from York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauradelightful)
    GCSEs really do not make all that much difference! I've not got one single GCSE due to immense family problems at the time and I've had offers from 2 universities (Cov and Northampton) on the basis of what I have done in the past 5 months alone.

I'd concentrate on what you are doing now if I were you. Your GCSE results were great, stop being so hard on yourself

laura
    I am sorry to hear that you hard a difficult time over your GCSEs. As to did I, and that is why I did not do as well as I should have. I should have got 5A*, 2A, 2B. So... I am just a little miffed with what I got due to my family problems...

ReputationRep:
    I can't see your sig, what universities have you applied to (and received offers from)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    I can't see your sig, what universities have you applied to (and received offers from)?
    Hmmm I wonder why... Anyways:

Bristol: Rejected
    Exeter: ABB
    Durham: Rejected
    Lancaster: ABB
    Warwick: Rejected
    York: AAB

ReputationRep:
    You would be extremely foolish to reject York (a top notch university) in order to re-take and re-apply to university. Visit the place, you may fall in love with the university. Be greatful for what you already have.

ReputationRep:
    I pay tax in this country so I have the right to access higher education if I should wish. Don't even start on the subject of wasting taxpayers money. My partner pays the ridiculous higher rate of tax, and WE are paying my tuition fees. I love to learn, and I really enjoy it hence the reason I want to go to university. Its certainly not for the social side of things! I have way too much on to be a part of the social side of uni life.

Also before being so judgemental about people's choices of universities perhaps you should think a little about why they have chosen that university? I have to stay local which is why Coventry is my insurance choice.

And yes I was hurt by the fact that you called going to Coventry university desperate. Seven years ago I didn't have the opportunity of finishing secondary school, let alone going to college or university. My priorities were VERY different to other people my age. So for me it is a big deal being accepted at university, regardless of what the league tables say or what others think. If I get into Warwick then thats great, if not then I will go to Coventry university.

ReputationRep:
    Who removed john williams' post? He had a valid point.

ReputationRep:
    what valid point?

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about it, i was gutted when i got a rejection from durham, which was my first choice too. But now that i've thought about it, it doesnt bother me anymore! Just try and be happy with the uni's you've had offers for and go for one of them!

ReputationRep:
    I assure you that he did not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauradelightful)
    GCSEs really do not make all that much difference! I've not got one single GCSE due to immense family problems at the time and I've had offers from 2 universities (Cov and Northampton) on the basis of what I have done in the past 5 months alone.

I'd concentrate on what you are doing now if I were you. Your GCSE results were great, stop being so hard on yourself

laura
    In this case GCSE's did matter-IIRC the poster posted in the Durham forum saying they were rejected for one GCSE grade being a bit too low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineapple_face)
    I assure you that he did not.
    But he's still entitled to post it, even if people disagree with what he's saying.

ReputationRep:
    probably PQ, but i dont care. if people dont want to face up to facts that gcse's do matter and the point i was making was is that if the person went to cov it'd be easier to get in regardless of gcse's, then its their problem.

ReputationRep:
    What he said was totally invalidated by his pathetic comments towards me. I wasn't aware that GCSEs even came into the equation with university applications, and if they do then they shouldn't!

What I should have said was "GCSEs didn't matter in MY case" and I don't expect them ever to be an issue! My work experience more than makes up for my secondary school education (or lack of!! lol!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Erm I don't actually think you are ALLOWED to retake a GCSE (except for Maths and English), at least not on the same exam board.
    Trust me GCSEs are not compulsory on a CV when applying to jobs, you don't even have to put your A Levels (but if you do indeed get ABB/AAB then definitely do it).
    Seriously though, if you end up with ABB/AAB then it will show that you clearly are intelligent.
    And I've heard that York is a great uni, my friend's applying there and it's her first choice. I'd go with York, you'll graduate with at least the same job prospects as a Durham graduate.
    And GCSE retakes never look good. Your grades are fine, just do your best to get AAB then you'll never have to worry about them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauniemac)
    Hmmm I wonder why... Anyways:

Bristol: Rejected
    Exeter: ABB
    Durham: Rejected
    Lancaster: ABB
    Warwick: Rejected
    York: AAB
    I would visit the unis you've had offers from if you haven't already, you might fall in love with one of them and it would save you a lot of unnecessary work.

Failing that, take a gap year, resit some A levels if you need to or study some more and reapply for next year, but redoing all your GCSEs and A levels is a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face. A lot of hassle and you don't know whether Durham will accept you at the end of it, nor whether you'll actually enjoy it there if they do (you may think you will, but you'll never know until you get there).

ReputationRep:
    Come to Lancaster.

On a serious note, you have some good offers. To be honest, it always works out for the best.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I think I can understand what you're going through! Last year I was rejected by Durham, and it was my first choice by miles. I was absolutely GUTTED and seriously considered taking a year out to re-apply. It took me a good few months to get over the rejection and although I still wonder what life could've been life if I had got in (I got higher grades than the typical offer and half of those who actually got offers didn't even achieve the grades, damn it!), I have realised that it's not really about where you go as such, it's about the PEOPLE you are with. And because it's uni, you find all sorts of people, and will almost definitely find some you get on well with etc. If you like a course at another uni enough, then choose it and work hard, get a first and go back and shove in in Durham's face when you are a famous doctor/whatever lol!

What is it about the social life at Durham that you think is so good?

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me there is one club, which is the second worst in Europe?

ReputationRep:
    Lol one of my very close friends, has a sister, whose life... is Durham! She was the BAR Vice-Chairman for Castle at Durham and she was raving about how good it is. I guess I may have been sucked into what she was saying... . I guess she may have been a little bias, lol. I think that Durham has a better reputation as well...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.