Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauniemac)
    Lol one of my very close friends, has a sister, whose life... is Durham! She was the BAR Vice-Chairman for Castle at Durham and she was raving about how good it is. I guess I may have been sucked into what she was saying... . I guess she may have been a little bias, lol. I think that Durham has a better reputation as well...
    Durham does not have a better reputation than York, especially for economics. My best advice to you is to forget about Durham and visit your other unis. You will soon find that there are other good unis around.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that you'd be best to go to one of the Universities that you already have an offer from.

Two years out is a very long time and there's an awful lot that you would need to think about, mainly how you would plan to support yourself for that time. I am on a gap year this year an planned to work f/t doing a course at college two nights a week, with the plan of saving the money to go to language school this summer. However, I've found that there are weeks that I can't afford to do the overtime I'm offered and as a result have done 60+ and would definitely not have had time to do any sort of course.

I think taking two years out would mean you would be in a large amount of 'debt' to your parents before even considering the debt you will get when at university.

Another worry I had was losing out on offers that I receieved last year and rejected, but ended up applying there this year and having some sort of grudge held against me

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion you should definitely not take any time out. Durham is a nice place, but you should consider its disadvantages: it is extremely small, has a poor economics department and the university is slightly over-rated.
    The idea of re-taking GCSEs is particularly ridiculous (as they are not that important) and I would strongly recommend you go for York (Exeter and Lacaster are not bad either).

ReputationRep:
    Hey bro,

Try to appeal against their decision - get your tutor to ring them, or you can do it yourself. Alternatively, if I recall correctly, Durham Economics was on the clearing list last year - so work hard and get your grades this year and all may be possible.

As others have already mentioned, before making any rash decisions go visit York and see what it's like.

Btw: if you were to retake your GCSEs (and do an extra 2 A-Levels), why would you need to take out 2 years? Surely it can be done in one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauniemac)
    Lol one of my very close friends, has a sister, whose life... is Durham! She was the BAR Vice-Chairman for Castle at Durham and she was raving about how good it is. I guess I may have been sucked into what she was saying... . I guess she may have been a little bias, lol. I think that Durham has a better reputation as well...
    I agree reputation is good, but everyone has positives to say about their university, and rightly so too. Getting rejected will have opened a lot more doors for you. At least you haven't been rejected from every uni. I know someone last year who got no offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by np187)
    Hey bro,

Try to appeal against their decision - get your tutor to ring them, or you can do it yourself. Alternatively, if I recall correctly, Durham Economics was on the clearing list last year - so work hard and get your grades this year and all may be possible.

As others have already mentioned, before making any rash decisions go visit York and see what it's like.

Btw: if you were to retake your GCSEs (and do an extra 2 A-Levels), why would you need to take out 2 years? Surely it can be done in one?
    I'd be very surprised if Durham were in clearing for economics.

I doubt appealing would help - they've made up their mind and they'll stick by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I'd be very surprised if Durham were in clearing for economics.

I doubt appealing would help - they've made up their mind and they'll stick by that.
    And besides, I would prefer to have been offered a place outright, as opposed to begging for one.

ReputationRep:
    Durham seem rather mean as far as appeals go.
    Go visit where you have offers from and you may find you really like them.
    (though I wouldn't just randomly pick York because some league table says it's better than Durham)

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, if you're choosing for the social side of things, why Durham? Yes there's a nice collegiate system but the nightlife is really not that happening according to several of my friends who are there. The other unis you have offers from are far better in that respect, and York has a better rep for your course, so surely that's something to consider.

It must be a bummer to get a rejection from somewhere you so wanted to go, but you've got to make the best of things. You have some great offers, go and have a look round and try to get enthusiastic about that. Preferably find a current student to convince you that their uni is the best ever. I think retaking things would be a waste of time because a lot of good unis (don't know about Durham) specifically state they will only accept exams taken first time.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    I am sure you will find that loads of us have been rejected from our first choices - that's why you choose six in the first place. Sure, it's disappointing, but life doesn't begin and end with Durham!
    There are hundreds would give their right arm to have offers from York or Exeter.
    Forget Durham and look forward to the great opportunity you have got.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.