The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I love the Oracle! I go there all the time. Don't know whether attending a uni so close to it though is a good or bad thing... :tongue:
Reply 21
hildabeast
Reading is wicked for shopping - much better than Oxford. I've been there a few times for that purpose lol!!!!

Lol when we get bored of Reading we go to Oxford!!!
Reply 22
Chicken
Lol when we get bored of Reading we go to Oxford!!!

I've never been shopping in Oxford. Is it any good? Do they have anything like the Oracle there?
Reply 23
suz19
I've never been shopping in Oxford. Is it any good? Do they have anything like the Oracle there?

Not really, but its slightly prettier than Reading town centre. There is a small shopping centre (can't for the life of me remember the name) which has a small Alders department store, and varius shops, but nowhere near as good as the Oracle. Just sometimes when you've always been shopping in Reading its nice to go elsewhere, so we go along to Oxford because its a nice drive along the back route and also Oxford is quite a nice place.
Reply 24
Chicken
Not really, but its slightly prettier than Reading town centre. There is a small shopping centre (can't for the life of me remember the name) which has a small Alders department store, and varius shops, but nowhere near as good as the Oracle. Just sometimes when you've always been shopping in Reading its nice to go elsewhere, so we go along to Oxford because its a nice drive along the back route and also Oxford is quite a nice place.

I'll have to go there- I do go to the Oracle far too often, be nice to try somewhere else. The only bad thing about the Oracle is the parking- it's the only large shopping centre that I can think off that charges for it (and charges quite a lot at that!) I use the park and ride but that's a bit of a pain when you've got loads of bags.
Reply 25
suz19
I'll have to go there- I do go to the Oracle far too often, be nice to try somewhere else. The only bad thing about the Oracle is the parking- it's the only large shopping centre that I can think off that charges for it (and charges quite a lot at that!) I use the park and ride but that's a bit of a pain when you've got loads of bags.

I know, parking in Reading is ridiculous. I used to go in on sundays when it was just one charge all day, but they've even changed that now. I just get the bus now, but it was really annoying when i went home for xmas because i was arranging with all my friends to go out for lunch and then the cinema, but a lot of them live out of Reading and don't have a bus service so have to drive, and it costs them a fortune.
Pluto
Hey, is anyone at Reading Uni? Whats the Uni like, is it a nice campus? And whats the town like-good nightlife? Also is the Uni well respected with employers? Cheers

I have an offer there, had i not recieved one from Royal Holloway (much closer to London + better at English than Reading) that would have been my first choice. I visited the campus...beautiful & it's a well respected uni... - that's why i applied there!
Reply 27
I'm SO glad to be hearing such good things about Reading! I'm really excited about going there n this thread has made me even more so! :biggrin:
Particularly as it's not a university that (in my experience) is talked about very much.
Reply 28
press2play
I'm SO glad to be hearing such good things about Reading! I'm really excited about going there n this thread has made me even more so! :biggrin:
Particularly as it's not a university that (in my experience) is talked about very much.

I agree- it's not mentioned much is it? What course have you applied to study?
Reply 29
suz19
I agree- it's not mentioned much is it? What course have you applied to study?

English Literature.. as I said, Reading's not renowned for the subject but of everywhere I visited it was the one place where the course AND the campus were just right!
What about you?
Reply 30
press2play
English Literature.. as I said, Reading's not renowned for the subject but of everywhere I visited it was the one place where the course AND the campus were just right!
What about you?

If you've picked like that then you're gonna have a blast at uni! I did the same, and ended up here where the uni isn't really renowned for chemistry (apart from the research) but the course was perfect, and i'm really enjoying myself!
Reply 31
Chicken
If you've picked like that then you're gonna have a blast at uni! I did the same, and ended up here where the uni isn't really renowned for chemistry (apart from the research) but the course was perfect, and i'm really enjoying myself!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear!!
Cheers!! :biggrin:
Reply 32
press2play
That's exactly what I wanted to hear!!
Cheers!! :biggrin:

No probs!

Best of Luck to you! :smile:
Reply 33
press2play
What about you?

Law. Did you visit the Whiteknights Campus as well? I thought it was really nice.
Reply 34
good to hear this stuff, keep it coming.

*bump*
Reply 35
suz19
Law. Did you visit the Whiteknights Campus as well? I thought it was really nice.

Yeah I visited Whiteknights Campus, I loved the place! Particularly all the trees, gardens, lakes etc. Gotta start thinking about accommodation soon!
press2play
Yeah I visited Whiteknights Campus, I loved the place! Particularly all the trees, gardens, lakes etc. Gotta start thinking about accommodation soon!

Whiteknights is a hall of residence and not a campus, is it not? It is however, one of the best halls in Reading.
Reply 37
I live near Reading and it's great! I've never visited the uni but the town is nice and really pretty, and it's generally very safe. The shopping is great, I always go to the Oracle even though Slough and Uxbridge are nearer to me because it's so good. And when I go to London I get the train from Slough - Paddington (which stops off at Reading on the way) and it only takes about half an hour. And a return ticket doesnt cost much more than a tenner. Even less for me cos i can still get away as a child! Anything else specifically you want to know?
Reply 38
hornblower
Whiteknights is a hall of residence and not a campus, is it not? It is however, one of the best halls in Reading.

Whiteknights is a campus and there's also Whiteknights Halls.
Chicken
Not really, unfortunately! But all you need to do is get a bus to the station and walk from there. And anyway Reading festival is in August, so you won't be at uni then!

Only thing about Reading is the cost of a night out, however I never used to go out on weeknights when i was at home, so i wouldn't know where the best student nights are as it does get cheaper during the week.

Reading Festival is held on the banks of the Thames (roughly) and that's about a 30 to 40 minute walk from the University. The campus is south of the town centre and where Reading Festival is, is about the same distance north of the town centre as the university is south. If that makes any sense :smile: Both places are still very close to the town centre.

Whiteknights is a campus and there's also Whiteknights Halls.

That's absolutely right. It's also an area of Reading, a primary school and an estate agent... :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending