The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
deianra
Reading Festival is held on the banks of the Thames (roughly) and that's about a 30 to 40 minute walk from the University. The campus is south of the town centre and where Reading Festival is, is about the same distance north of the town centre as the university is south. If that makes any sense :smile: Both places are still very close to the town centre.

I know where the festival site is, I do live there :tongue:

Or at least live there part-time :wink:
Chicken
I know where the festival site is, I do live there... :tongue:

So do I :biggrin:

Don't you think Reading should be upgraded to a city? Calling it a town is quaint, but it's a city in everything but name.
Reply 42
deianra
So do I :biggrin:

Don't you think Reading should be upgraded to a city? Calling it a town is quaint, but it's a city in everything but name.

Its near enough a city, all the buses say city centre, as do those big traffic update signs... but they've already failed in 2 (or possibly 3) bids to become a city, so i don't think it'll officially happen any time soon.
Chicken
Its near enough a city, all the buses say city centre, as do those big traffic update signs... but they've already failed in 2 (or possibly 3) bids to become a city, so i don't think it'll officially happen any time soon.

Yes, the next bid's in 2020. Pah. But everyone still says "town" (I'm going into town, etc.), never city, or at least not in my hearing.
Reply 44
*bump*

was told today that reading has no "soul" bah, is that true?

oh and what accomadation are people applying for?
Reply 45
So what are the types of people applying to Reading. Are they predominatley white, asian black etc. I am an asian, and was wondering if their was a decent mix of people looking to go there.
Reply 46
Come on, i can't let this die, i dont want to be the only paki at reading university. :-(
Reply 47
i doubt u will be i saw plenty of pakis (brown ppl) when i visited them, pretty mixed. Good mix. not too many of any from what i saw on the one day i visited.
Reply 48
MattG
*bump*

was told today that reading has no "soul" bah, is that true?

oh and what accomadation are people applying for?

People do say reading has no soul...but I think its a pretty good place to grow up. It features at number 36 in the book of 'Crap Towns' and is, i quote, 'Blander then Bran Flakes'....however I totally think this is untrue!
I think the basis of that is because Reading is a big industrial town. The whole town centre is going through a whole regeneration...there is a huge shopping centre now, the old shopping centre is being redone as are some of the town centre ares, loads of bars and pubs for every taste (Reading does lack in the way of clubs though, or at least clubs i'd go too...), I wouldn't say it was bland (as long as you have money you are ok!).
Reply 49
I went to Reading yesterday for my interview and was actually quite disappointed. I only saw the Early Gate part of the campus but I thought it looked really run down and even derelict! Obviously there were'nt any students there cause it was the holidays, but most of the buildings I saw looked like they were about to fall down, and the department I would be in (Typography and Graphic Communication) was really tiny.

Appearences aside, the Typography and Graphic Communication department was quite disappointing in general as well. There was no students work up, only a few Macs, hardly any studio space and no photography facilities etc.

On a plus point, the town was really lively and the shopping looked great, and obviously I havent seen all of the campus so I don't know what the majority of it looks like. But I was genuinely suprised about the Typography department...I can't really see myself studying there unfortunately. :-(
Reply 50
I'm very close to accepting Reading to do the MMath (waiting for Warwick to say yes or no, but leaning towards preferring the look of Reading anyway). Does anybody have anything to say about that course?

Curious for any opinions about the campus accommodation too.

Cheers.
Reply 51
ecksor
I'm very close to accepting Reading to do the MMath (waiting for Warwick to say yes or no, but leaning towards preferring the look of Reading anyway). Does anybody have anything to say about that course?

Curious for any opinions about the campus accommodation too.

Cheers.

Some people I know back home said Sherfeild is nice, and so is St Georges (if i recall correctly).
Reply 52
Hey im goin to Reading to study law in september/october and really looking forward to it, the campus is sooo nice and the buildings are mostly traditional and Reading as a uni is classed as Red brick........ermm its ranked 8th for law so it must me fairly well respected with employers and if u get a job in Reading, whilst at uni, then apparently you get London rates, which will help to pay for the expensive nights out!
Reply 53
ammalaw
Hey im goin to Reading to study law in september/october and really looking forward to it, the campus is sooo nice and the buildings are mostly traditional and Reading as a uni is classed as Red brick........ermm its ranked 8th for law so it must me fairly well respected with employers and if u get a job in Reading, whilst at uni, then apparently you get London rates, which will help to pay for the expensive nights out!

The club on campus (3sixty) looks so impressive.

And Reading town centre is so nice, has most high street chains scattered around.
Reply 54
who else is planning to study law at Reading this september? and where have u applied for halls? My first choice is Wantage... and second St Patricks! Can anyone name the shops in Reading town, e.g. Topshop, etc. and also what type of clubs is it, are they 'alternative' for example or more 'trendy'? I also heard that Reading town can be quite rough to go out in...how true is this?

Thanks!! x
Reply 55
ammalaw
who else is planning to study law at Reading this september? and where have u applied for halls? My first choice is Wantage... and second St Patricks! Can anyone name the shops in Reading town, e.g. Topshop, etc. and also what type of clubs is it, are they 'alternative' for example or more 'trendy'? I also heard that Reading town can be quite rough to go out in...how true is this?

Thanks!! x

Me too! I don't know which halls I want to be in yet- haven't received all the relevant info because i've had a last minute change of mind about living there. Aren't there halls on Whiteknight's Campus? I'd want to be there so i can get up late:tongue:

As for shops, check out http://www.oracle-shopping.co.uk/home.htm It's a really nice shopping centre. I don't think Reading town is any rougher than anywhere else either. I live near there and it doesn't have a particularly 'rough' reputation.
Reply 56
thanks.........im really looking forward to it! what is ure insurance? mine is southampton which stupidly has higher grades (AAB) but is no where near as good for law....Readings' grade requirements are strangely low...BBB...however they said something about putting them up to AAB for law at Reading next year
Reply 57
ammalaw

Thanks!! x

Reading has all the chain shops, Topshop, Miss Selfridge, New Look, H&M, as well as places like Zara and Mango...its a very good place for shopping! As for bars and clubs, well there are mostly bars in Reading - but they nearly all open til 2am, and tend to be more on the 'trendy' side, however there's a place called 'The Purple Turtle' which is definately alternative, and then a couple of places more indie type. However i've never been out in Reading on weeknights (other than in holidays when students aren't around) so i don't know where the best places for student nights are and where most students tend to go. Its not any rougher than other towns i've been out in, there's a huge police presence about at night (especially friday and saturday nights), and with the one fight i have seen, 4 foot-police were there within seconds and then 4 police vehicles and a police dog were there within minutes. And it was also between people who knew each other from what I could tell, not just random people jumping others. I've never felt unsafe at night in Reading.
Reply 58
ammalaw - were you at the Reading Law open day on the 23rd of march, just out of interest
Reply 59
no i visited it on the Friday 5th March!

Latest

Trending

Trending