Turn on thread page Beta

What do you do when you are on the train.... watch

ReputationRep:
    ......to Central London at about 9-10 am and a drunk man ( eastern european, I think, by the accent ) comes aboard the same train.

• He is a foot taller than you and is very well-built

• The man is obviously quite drunk ( yet able to keep steady on a moving tube train ) but is still drinking ( stella )

• The man is pissed-off about something and spouts some stuff about the lack of democracy ( in his home country, I think) and also complains of how no one in the UK says 'Hello' or 'thank you'

• The man sets his bag down on the floor, near his seat.

• The man is standing, drinking and talking ( to himself ) at relatively loudly

• You are standing in the corner of the door way of the tube train.

• The train is relatively packed ( but not packed like sardines, as it is at 7-9 am, but all seats are full)

• Everyone on the train acts as if, nothing is wrong

• He is in close proximity to you and strolls around the same area several times ( whilst talking, drinking )

The guy seemed quite annoyed/angry and any uncalculated action could have set him off......

My question is what would you ppl do in the same circumstance......:

Do you....

......switch trains before your one departs
    ......come off at the next stop
    ......cower in the corner like a little school girl
    ......move further down the train....possibly further antagonising him
    ......reply to ( what could have been rhetorical ) questions
    ......tell him to shut up

......OR something a lot more intelligent...what is the 'appropriate' thing to do

I just did nothing ( pretty much like every1 else ) but since I was near him, he could have easily started talking or something to me.......

This is the second time I've had, what you could call, somekind of confrontation on the tube and wondering if there is some kind of 'etiquette'? what is the correct ( if there is such a thing ) to do....?

Do you respond if he talks to you? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    A similar thing happened to me. Myself and a friend were on the Tube making our journey from Notting Hill Gate to our homes. There was a bloke my friend was sitting next to who- I swear to you- looked like he had feathers coming out of him [:rofl:]. The thing is, she was gesturing at me to get off the train and I didn't want to. In additon, I was laughing and knew I wouldn't be able to stop until we got off the train and on to another one. So when the next stop came, we got off on to another carriage.

I wouldn't really do anything about it. If he's bothering you, simply get off the train and on to another one.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd ignore him and get off at the next stop. I done something similar when this guy was talking to me down the road (why!?), I just ignored him.

Question of my own: what do you do when pervy men start chatting to you? Ignore them or say something?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd laugh. But I'm pretty immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StripeyGirl)
    Question of my own: what do you do when pervy men start chatting to you? Ignore them or say something?
    Ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what language he was speaking. If he's Eastern European I'd probably try to talk to him; "yes, Brits never say please and thankyou, I agree mate. Giz a sip of your beer."

Failing that I would bang my head on the window until it bleeds.

ReputationRep:
    i'd shout STOP.

if he didn't, i'd shoot him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StripeyGirl)

Ignore...

If it is a private/secluded area then move to a more public one

ReputationRep:
    "......cower in the corner like a little school girl"

me thinks i'll take that option please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stikatoo)
    Depends what language he was speaking. If he's Eastern European I'd probably try to talk to him; "yes, Brits never say please and thankyou, I agree mate. Giz a sip of your beer."

He was speaking English, with a strong accent ( Eastern European, I think )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    "......cower in the corner like a little school girl"

me thinks i'll take that option please
    And what to do if he attempts to talk/interact with you?

ReputationRep:
    Miles, atleast you had the guts to say something in a jokey manner to the guy- I know I wouldn't!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have done anything but if he did start talking i'd probably reply in a polite way and if it got aggressive and physical then he could get it, being drunk impairs your ability to fight a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu.dent)
    He complains of how no ne in the UK says 'Hello' or 'thank you'
    Send him up north.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stikatoo)
    Why limit that to this situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    I had an interesting experience at Notting Hill Gate too, Xanthe! I was stuck in a carriage on my own coming back from the college union and this bloke came in and asked me for change. I said quite jokingly "if you can afford to use the underground you don't really need spare change" (this was me being jokey, not sarcastic, i might add) and he got quite agitated so I got out at the next stop and moved to a different carriage.
    What is it about Notting Hill Gate?!? I used to live there and more often than not i'd either have this guy (dressed in a massive fluffy but scraggly long black coat) who believed he was the king of the underground tube dwelling rats or this seemingly normal guy who would come out with sporadic bursts of dialogue that i guess were audible sound bites of some internal conversation. Both have tried to talk to me, i just acknowledge they are there and then become very absorbed in a book - they've never taken offence

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I would ignore him unless he starts talking to me. Then answer his questions with one word answers, and get off at the next stop, and await the next train. I've had this kind of thing with 40 yr old Indian weirdos who were asking questions like "are you married". I answered their questions (with the exception of my name) and pretended to get off at the next stop. They got off, but I didn't.

But it depends on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    act as if drunk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple tree)
    act as if drunk?
    That increases your vulnerability. You need to be detached, not look as if you are observing/judging them. Confident but closed body language. If they directly address you perhaps answer monosyllabically and then resume what you were doing before (reading book etc.) this generally gives them the idea.. however if like me you experienced the numbed hint receptor of someone who is on something then look for support form others around you... or if you're trapped on the train there is always the alarm

ReputationRep:
    act as if you had a bad bad day? Examples include, I just lost my job, my career is going downwards, I'm losing my mind, I'm one step from violently expressing my feelings on the next annoying person in my path :rolleyes: , only joking. Yes, it's sensible to try and get amongst the crowd of other people, keep in the safety of numbers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.