Turn on thread page Beta

What do you do when you are on the train.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ooh i so agree with the 'bad day' tactic. I've avoided one or two muggings by pretending that my mother has been diagnosed with something terminal that day *sorry mum* .. I've perfected the 'don't you dare talk to me i am not in the mood face' but it is becomming a little too natural for my liking lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robin*Hood)
    That increases your vulnerability. You need to be detached, not look as if you are observing/judging them. Confident but closed body language. If they directly address you perhaps answer monosyllabically and then resume what you were doing before (reading book etc.) this generally gives them the idea.. however if like me you experienced the numbed hint receptor of someone who is on something then look for support form others around you... or if you're trapped on the train there is always the alarm
    human psychology 101 - that pretty much sums up the advice given by every1
    ...fortunately it was between 9-11 and I didn't feel to trapped ( even though the guy kept walking around the doorway )
    ...hmm the alarm is always an option

(Original post by apple tree)
    act as if you had a bad bad day? Examples include, I just lost my job, my career is going downwards, I'm losing my mind, I'm one step from violently expressing my feelings on the next annoying person in my path :rolleyes: , only joking. Yes, it's sensible to try and get amongst the crowd of other people, keep in the safety of numbers.
    lol, actually that was my other option -> Act MUCH, MUCH crazier than the other guy - be a complete nutjob

but then again, maybe not...

'try and get amongst the crowd' - quite hard, when every1 denies the existence of any such problem; ie: head-down looking at the Metro

ReputationRep:
    perfected the 'don't you dare talk to me i am not in the mood face' but it is becomming a little too natural for my liking lol
    seems to work for gordon brown

ReputationRep:
    What is it about Notting Hill Gate?!? I used to live there and more often than not i'd either have this guy (dressed in a massive fluffy but scraggly long black coat) who believed he was the king of the underground tube dwelling rats or this seemingly normal guy who would come out with sporadic bursts of dialogue that i guess were audible sound bites of some internal conversation. Both have tried to talk to me, i just acknowledge they are there and then become very absorbed in a book - they've never taken offence
    I think we might have bumped in to the same guy! I used to travel from Notting Hill Gate (got the 52 Bus from Kensington Park Road to Ladbroke Grove). I think a lot of celebrities use that station too.

LMAO @ all of apple tree's reply.

ReputationRep:
    Notting Hill Gate?!? I used to live there
    busker?

ReputationRep:
    I think the etiquette for the original situation is to stare into your knees/ the advertising opposite you/ the train map/ a sympathetic onlooker who feels your pain and with whom you be able to share a sly smile when drunkie isn't looking.
    I've always been really tempted, if approached on a train, to pretend i had ear phones in, and couldnt hear what they were saying. And then when i finally realised they wanted to talk to me, go through a whole palava of putting away my imaginary ear plugs, before saying something to myself that sounds equally deranged. Like " easy child, the screaming will stop soon", before staring at the them directly in the eye, and carrying on like normal... maybe one day!

ReputationRep:
    DO what the British do best and ignore them.

I once spent a trip in a carriage where someone had been laviously sick abd everyone pretended nothing had happened - brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    luckily i dont live in london so have never had to use the tube lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2006
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.