The Student Room Group

when to apply for us uni

Hi guys,

There will have been plenty of topics like this before but I really need some clarity on this. Im in the process of completing my GCSE's. In future I wamt to got to an American university, I went on to the Fulbright website and it says that you have to have Gcses and A levels but that some universities accept students that have their gcses in hand and are 17years of age, what is the process to apply to such a university? And if not that then when should I apply for a uni in the usa, im guessing its when im doing my AS. Do i have to do the SAT1 and 2 for the top universities?

thnx
Reply 1
I did a little reading into this previously. I was interested in the idea, but then decided I both couldn't afford it, and would be better off staying here.
I'll have a look and see if I can find you the rest of the details then but I do know the whole process begins approximately 18 months before you'd begin university there. Prior to that you don't have all your grades and stuff to start filling in forms and applying for more details and things.

Good luck with it, I'll have a look around and PM you any more info I come across.
Reply 2
Have a look at the admissions sites for the colleges u are interested in, there is not central control like there is in the UK with UCAS.
Basicaly in the US u apply to one college (if u want) under early action, where u apply by about 1st of Nov and they let you know mid december. At some colleges this is a binding application, where if they take you, you have to go, others it is non-binding.
All you other applications have to be in by around 1st Jan, you find out in march/april and then give your decission a month later.

For top colleges you will have to do SAT 1 and SAT 2 (2 or 3 of them) have a look at collegeboard.com
I would recommend that you do the SAT1 in January or May of Lower Sixth, then do the SAT II in upper sixth, so you have had some extra time to cover more work.

--------------

Oh yeah, some will take you after Lower Sixth, as you will have done 12 years on 'high school' but Harvard, for example, say you will be at a considerable disadvantage, and on your application you would probably have to say why your are leaving without the equivalent of a US diploma (they would probably consider a 3 ALevels a sign that you have finished high-school)
Reply 3
Okay thanks guys, that cleared up a lot for me and I have my targets set out for the future.

Latest

Trending

Trending