Turn on thread page Beta

Dress advice, please help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My friend has decided to make her birthday party 'formal' this year, to the extent that all boys are in suits and ties. Me and my other friend really want to go in for it properly and get some really nice dresses, but we are both very inexperienced with this sort of clothes shopping and was hoping for any advice on what sort of thing to buy, shops that are good for them, and what sort of shoes to wear with them.
    Any ideas please share!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do is try loads of different styles, find one which suits your body shape and that you like - look in magazines etc. Try department stores like Debenhams, they always have loads. If you want to go cheap, TKMaxx has loads of designer dresses for super cheap, and if you don't have a budget there's loads of gorgeous shops for dresses like Karen Millen, Coast etc. Hope that helps a lil bit!

ReputationRep:
    Oasis has a lot of formally cut dresses but in patterns and designs that are not within the stereotype for black-tie occasions. Debhenams, Topshop, Monsoon! (special mention for this one tis brilliant for dresses) .. I bought an amazing dress at new look the other day that was similar in cut and pattern to one i saw at topshop but a fraction of the cost! ..

ReputationRep:
    TKMaxx for the win! That'll be your best bet for a nice dress

ReputationRep:
    most formal dresses can be quite expensive, how much are you planning on spending??

i always said that given my prom again, i'd go to topshop vintage and buy a one off dress. i still stand by this. those dresses are in the region of £50.

late last year i bought a jasper conran cocktail dress from the debenhams sale for £30, reduced down from £150, that might be worth having a look. there are also some really great evening dresses in there anyway, i love that section!

just go to a huge department store and try on everything in sight, you'll soon find one that looks great xx

ReputationRep:
    Wow.. thanks for all the suggestions..
    Boho, I have just over a hundred pounds, but really I need to get shoes on that budget aswell.

Thinking the department store is a good option!

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.