Turn on thread page Beta

Cloning of Humans watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was just curious about the different viewpoints that could be presented with regard to the issue of human cloning. Im having a debate at school on this topic and wondered if anyone could enlightem me on some disadvantages and advantages of cloning.
    Thanx
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kindersurprise)
    I was just curious about the different viewpoints that could be presented with regard to the issue of human cloning. Im having a debate at school on this topic and wondered if anyone could enlightem me on some disadvantages and advantages of cloning.
    Thanx
    xxx
    I bety theres a website that tells you all you need on this. Just google it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx
    xxx
    Disadvantages of cloning??? Well, that´s not very difficult... do you want a human race that can chanege it´s own genetic material, create perfect kids etc? The certain doom of our race...
    but the cloning that has been done yet was therapeutical, not reproductive. They only gain some stem cells (is this their name in English?) to grow new tissue. But still, what has been done once can be done twice... you only have to put the fertilized egg into a female body and a baby is going to grow. And I am pretty sure, people will do it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanx
    xxx
    GRR....debates are for you to use your brain and come up with points! But, i'll guess you don't debate alot...so heres the pros and cons of cloning..

Human Cloning - Debatabase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    GRR....debates are for you to use your brain and come up with points! But, i'll guess you don't debate alot...so heres the pros and cons of cloning..

Human Cloning - Debatabase
    I do actually enjoy, debates, i just thought u guys could help me.
    Thanx for the link, the websites really gud
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I do actually enjoy, debates, i just thought u guys could help me.
    Thanx for the link, the websites really gud
    xxx

well i personally dont mind ... but i still dont see the the real use of it to humanity, if ppl really want a baby and cant for some reason have one then ... well maybe test tube babies are a better option

ReputationRep:
    I have attached a superb article on therapeutic cloning. It's by Professor Leon Kass who is one of the most highly rated bioethicists in the world and is head of the President's council on bioethics.

Paddy
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Leon Kass - why all cloning is wrong (good for non-pro-life arguments).doc (39.0 KB, 136 views)

ReputationRep:
    Oh and you'll also find very useful resources at http://www.cbhd.org

Paddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HasanB)
    well i personally dont mind ... but i still dont see the the real use of it to humanity, if ppl really want a baby and cant for some reason have one then ... well maybe test tube babies are a better option
    they could always adopt

i was thinking that in the far future there maybe could be a war between 'pure' humans and the superior clones, well it might make a good film

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not the act of cloning a human is advantageous to medicine or society entirely depends upon the premise you’re approaching it from, and the regard you hold it in.

Stem cell research is a highly promising area of medicine which great dividends could be reaped from, in view of possible implementations (e.g. the reparation of a damaged spine, or the growing of human organs for transplant). This could benefit a multitude of people for obvious reasons.

However, you also have to consider the ethical issues associated with cloning a human. Not only in terms of stem cell research, whereby you’d be essentially experimenting with the beginnings of human life (what right have you to interfere with this?), but also, consider a situation where a human clone went full-term, and was born.

Psychologically speaking, it’s difficult to predict how the clone would react in view of the knowledge that they are not their own person (by not having a unique set of genes), despite having their own consciousness. Would it be fair to do this to a person?

Also, how would a clone be treated by society? Would there be a prejudice toward them? They certainly wouldn’t be treated as a naturally conceived human. Perhaps you disagree with this, there may be little differentiation just as this case with children conceived through IVF.

Some would say it’d be no different to identical twins, others disagree – decide for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HasanB)
    I don't know if the common person could live knowing that their baby grew in a test tube. I think that if you want to clone an animal be my guest but leave humans out of this. Unless it is just stem cells. but i don't think they should clone people.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the cloning of stem cells to produce more is a pereferable method to using the cells of aborted babies to experiment on.

ReputationRep:
    Stem cell research is a highly promising area of medicine which great dividends could be reaped from, in view of possible implementations (e.g. the reparation of a damaged spine, or the growing of human organs for transplant). This could benefit a multitude of people for obvious reasons.
    No. Don't take the media hype at face value. Read Winston's article in The Independent today. It's quite a good analysis of why stem cell research is not highly promising.

The main reason its being touted is because the UK is one of the few countries in the world which allows it. It's therefore a good opportunity to create a braindrain on America (though ironically its Britain which is losing out as its over-invested in embryonic stem cell research at the expense of more promising fields such as adult-stem-cell research).

I think that the cloning of stem cells to produce more is a pereferable method to using the cells of aborted babies to experiment on.
    Both are morally wrong for numerous reasons but stem cells from clones is far worse since you're specifically creating life to destroy it. At least with the aborted foetus the baby is already dead.

Paddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happypad)
    No. Don't take the media hype at face value. Read Winston's article in The Independent today. It's quite a good analysis of why stem cell research is not highly promising.
    That's not actually my opinion - I was simply giving the original poster some viewpoints to consider for their debate, as requested.

However, I just read the article you're referring to and found myself agreeing with Lovell-Badge's points to a greater extent than Winston's. I believe we ought to continue research, refining techniques and making them more practical and realistic as medical treatments.

I think you also need to make a definition between abortions and stem cell research. I don't believe they're comparable.

I haven't any ethical qualms with abortion, or stem cell research up until the point where the developing foetus first displays neurological impulses. For me, that's the point at which the foetus becomes alive. After all, we find it acceptable to turn off life support machines when a patient no longer displays neurological impulses. The womb is essentially a life support system.

ReputationRep:
    I think that everything should be tried once.
    I'm all for the idea of cloning a human - but only once - to see if life expectancy is reduced in clones (I know, it sounds morally terrible), or if they have reduced resistance to illness etc.

So long as the clone was allowed to live a relatively normal life (i.e not kept in a lab), I'd be ok with the idea.

I would have volunteered myself to be a clone before I was born. If that was possible.

hmm, rambling...

ReputationRep:
    i just saw something abt a cloned embryo or something on the news...it's some south korean scientists who's doing it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I don't know if the common person could live knowing that their baby grew in a test tube. I think that if you want to clone an animal be my guest but leave humans out of this. Unless it is just stem cells. but i don't think they should clone people.
    yeah i dont mind animals being cloned. it may solve some problems aswell, but i just fail to see what benefits it would bring society, the clones would grow up and think that they have no identity of their own ... a lot of problems could be caused in the future by human cloning

ReputationRep:
    I think you also need to make a definition between abortions and stem cell research. I don't believe they're comparable.
    I agree. Cloning embryos for research is far worse. With abortion, killing is involved. With so-called 'therapeutic cloning' you are deliberately creating human beings for the purpose of destruction.

Furthermore there are different problems involved. Some of the other probs with therapeutic cloning involve include:

- Funding. It's costing the govt millions which could be spent on delivering medicines to the third world so that cures can be offered to individuals who are dying of curable diseases.

- Exploitation of women. Women's wombs are gradually becoming the new laboratory. It will be women who are required to donate eggs so that clones can be made from the eggs (no sperm is involved in cell-nuclear replacemet - a form of cloning). Millions of these eggs will be required. Who will provide so many? There are many risks involved including ovarian hyper stimulation which can lead to death.

- How can you prevent scientists from implanting these clones into a woman and thus allowing reproductive cloning?

Paddy

ReputationRep:
    Don´t you guys think the problem is where to draw the line? We can discuss endlessly if stem cells are a promising branch of medicine, but since nobody on this planet knows...
    I mean isn´t it more important to think about how to limit the cloning? Unless anybody wants to allow it completely... I would suggest a law that prohibits any reprodcutive cloning - meaning the egg may never be implanted into a woman after changing genes in any way.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for the idea of cloning a human - but only once - to see if life expectancy is reduced in clones (I know, it sounds morally terrible), or if they have reduced resistance to illness etc.
    What about the human rights of the clone?

I haven't any ethical qualms with abortion, or stem cell research up until the point where the developing foetus first displays neurological impulses.
    So does that mean you're only for abortion before 42 days gestation as that's when the first neurological activity is recorded?

Also why do you place so much emphasis on the brain? Surely things such as the heart and DNA are just as, if not more, important?

Does it also follow that whoever has the most developed brain is the most human?

Paddy

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.