The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i would like to die before i become incontinent...or develop dementia
i couldn't live like that.
Reply 21
Hmm.

I've dealt with all that, "death is the ultimate end for my consciousness, it will mean an eternal ending, I will no longer exist" stuff. I'm happy with whatever life has in store for me. Obviously, dying tomorrow would be a bit of a let-down as I have plans for the next few years but if its meant to be then its meant to be.

I've already had a lot more time than some people get, and most of it has been spent happily. I can't really bring myself to see death as a wholly bad thing.
gordon2002
Do you want to live for a long time, i.e. till 95 or something. Or would you want to die earlier?

I personally couldn't bare living till I'm very old, it would just be too painful for me.

I really can't see myself as old, taking ages to move from one place to the other, being weak and needing people to help me all the time.. i really would hate to be a waste of space... i guess i'd be alright dying in my 60s or so, no remorse.
Reply 23
Death isn't wholly bad, and ironically preserves the survival of the human race, as well as the fact that it often ends a life where one feels everything has been achieved and there is no drive and ambition left - in that sense, death is not such a terrible end all, but is often due to our knowledge of the length of the average human life - if the average life expectancy was 40, we would probably do a lot more and become fulfilled more quickly, so could probably work the reverse way if life could be artificially (or naturally) extended, and in this way, I would love to embrace the spark of consciousness that is life than the nothingness of death. However, I have a tendency not to dwell on it merely for self-preservation. I'm sure my perspective towards death will evolve as I age, but I have never experienced any love, and not had any children, career, world travelling, future years of my profession, new family, new thoughts, new mentalities, and constant learning. After this perhaps I would feel life is complete, but the gift of life gifts you with the ability to think and wonder no matter what age, and I would want to hold that for as long as possible - there is all the time in the world for death, so we may as well make the most of life! Of course it may depend on how you live at 95, but there are people in their 90's who are at least reasonably mobile and can still live fulfilling lives - in fact there is one 93 year old Japanese woman I know who still works as the head of a business! Of course this is an extreme sample, but I feel I would only want to die younger if all that was ahead of me was complete suffering, and I would imagine that is not always necessarily the case. If I had to put a number? In real life without any revolutionary drugs, I wouldn't mind living just to 2100, to live to 113.
I don't know when I would like to die, probably when I feel my life is complete but I think I will die way before that due to my recklessness.
Reply 25
I would like to die at a time in my life when i am very happy, best to go out with a bang. However this must be old enough so that i have time to watch all those films i wanted to watch and have become bored of daytime tv after i retire. Isn't death a scary thing if you don't believe in religeon. As far as i am concerned, when im gone i won't know it and i won't know i even existed - it happens to ants far more often so we are lucky.
50? before i start to look ****. hmm i always wanted to die of a drug overdose
Reply 27
No later than 11 p.m., on a warm midsummer's eve.
horrorcops
50?

r u serious? :rolleyes:
if i live past 88 i will be pleased.

i think age 92 seems like a good age to go.
Reply 30
Showsni
I don't want to die. Ever.

"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon."
Reply 31
Er, now? I'd stop worrying then. I just don't have the uts to commit suicide. And that the only joy of my life (my studies... and hope) stops me everytime I think of it.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.
I wonder when this generation of under-30s will actually die. It's strange to think, but within a few decades we will probably be able to grow replacement organs.

*Jaded
I dont want to die.. Saying that however (eventhough scientific progress might enable us in the future to live longer.. or never die at all?!?!) i want to die after ive done something that people will remember me by. Sounds selfish but i want to do something to change things (god i sound so altruistically stupid!) or create an impact.. THEN i want to die, when the going is good!!
I plan to live to live in the prime of health and life until I'm about 100 and then die happy in my sleep, preferably drunk. I haven't worked out what I'd do if I got old and unable to cope, because I'm determined it's not going to happen!

Actually last night me and some friends were discussing how we wanted to go, and I decided I'd like to be pitchforked by an angry mob :evil: - but in the cold light of sobriety that seems a less attractive option.
gordon2002
Do you want to live for a long time, i.e. till 95 or something. Or would you want to die earlier?

I personally couldn't bare living till I'm very old, it would just be too painful for me.

As long as possible whilst I can still enjoy the things I most like doing. I'd rather die at 70 having been able to go outside, hold proper conversations with people, enjoy life than at 120 in a nursing home without a clue what's going on around me and having been out-of-it for years and years and unable to do anything much.
Reply 36
Nysh
Er, now? I'd stop worrying then. I just don't have the uts to commit suicide. And that the only joy of my life (my studies... and hope) stops me everytime I think of it.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

Don't be so negative. Living is wayyy better than being dead, even if it is a rubbish life, as long as you have a glimmer of hope it's worth hanging in there.

--------------

horrorcops
50? before i start to look ****. hmm i always wanted to die of a drug overdose

God, that's so shallow. Everyone gets old ( or at least the lucky ones who dont die young do). Do you mean you would be willing to leave behind your future children, grandchildren and partner just because you got a wrinkle on your forehead which might OMG..actually show your real age??
PaperMoon
Don't be so negative. Living is wayyy better than being dead, even if it is a rubbish life, as long as you have a glimmer of hope it's worth hanging in there.

yea. botox helps too :smile:
never want to die...too afraid
Reply 39
I want to die before my kids do (hopefully i will actually have some), and before I become a burdon to them, i'd be happy with that.

Latest

Trending

Trending