Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girl afraid)
    Just get laid.
    that's the sensible approach....

ReputationRep:
    anyone tried the new durex 'maximum love' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    im catholic so against contraception, but is it ok to use eg fun ones like flavoured/ribbed/'tingle's for fun, NOT primarily for contraception? eg if i want an extra fun night with my husband can i use ribbed ones, even though it will ahve a contraceptive effect
    A lot of "fundoms" have 'Not to be used as a barrier' on the packet, so presumably they're not effective contraception, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you're really bothered, just turn it inside out afterwards, disgusting though that may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girl afraid)
    Just get laid.
    Sometimes... I think she needs it.

Virgins often have such 'interesting' views on sex....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fragreaper)
    Sometimes... I think she needs it.

Virgins often have such 'interesting' views on sex....
    yes, they do. Like sample question from one: "How many times have you had sex" Me: "What, partners?" V: "No, occasions" Me: "Uhhh, was I supposed to keep count?". ^o)

(Original post by blah)
    You are being misleading Shinytoy. Please get your facts straight about your own religion!
    According to the Catholic Church, sex should only take place as a means of reproduction within a marriage. Pleasure is only a consequence. According to the Catholic church, you should not have "escaping pregnancy" on your mind. Therefore, ALL methods of contraception are wrong, incuding the Rhythm method.

Of course, even though I am a Catholic, I don't believe in what the Church teaches, just stating it for your information.
    Bull****!

It's you who needs to get your facts right!

The phsyical act of love between a man and a woman within marriage is an expression of their unity.

The Catholic Church permits the use of 'natural methods' of birth control - this makes a nonsense of your claim that the act of sex is only for procreation.

You may be a Catholic but you have little understanding of your faith. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That was the belief in Chaucer's time, I know that much Sex for anything else was considered a sin.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think they were anything special, it just felt wierd and hot down there. The only condoms I have ever thought are good are the sensation ones with dots!

ReputationRep:
    just a question to the catholic, when you're married, are you only gonna have sex when you're not likely to get pregnant? which is REALLY a few days each month, if you take your period into account, and semen can live for 7 days, which is why theres the 7 day rule with the pull, which isnt effective anyway, but still the question stands. Coz as someone says,the rythm method is a form of contraception.... also, if God wants a child to be born, then he'll sort it! Condoms break, pills get missed, etc etc. No contraception is Godproof! So i say be sensible, ask which is the bigger sin? use a condom or have an abortion/a child when not ready and destroy a life? I say the condoms best myself - IM christian not catholic, and im well lectured about the whole no sex before marriage thing, but i dont believe in that, God forgive me if im wrong.

Not a fan of condoms myself. hate the word too. monogomy and the pill is working for me. Kinda feel bad about that sometimes though

ReputationRep:
    And God made sex to be an expression of love between man and woman, the ultimate expression of that love being a child.... God does only tend to create a child when its meant to be created (according to our faith, if you dont believe that then fine just no bashing me for saying it) so contraception or no, the child be made, its what happens after that matters.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Stop listening to an old man in Rome - he isn't God

ReputationRep:
    Well, to the Catholics he's the next best thing so....

I dont believe in papal infalibility etc etc, look what it did during WWII and now in Africa etc. Im not saying its all the popes fault, but hes had his part to play.

You have to do as it right by you! if thats to only have sex a few days each month, then thats your choice, though the though horrifies me! (thats what? 5 days for your period, at least 12 days to make sure that you're not gonna get pregant, which is 15 days, and 11 to have sex AT BEST! I mean, its not even foolproof. Really, without a contraceptive, you're never ACTUALLY safe. I wouldnt gamble so much with my body.

ReputationRep:
    The Vatican actually claimed condoms spread AIDS. Well done, really helping Africa there
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/aids/story...059068,00.html

Anyway, best not get on my hobby horse

(Original post by Lauren Hart)
    Really, without a contraceptive, you're never ACTUALLY safe. I wouldnt gamble so much with my body.
    No contraceptive is 100% reliable! Apart from abstinence.

ReputationRep:
    i think its just better contraceptive advice aswell as availability thats needed. And really, the pope can say what he wants, being infallible and all.... just a point

ReputationRep:
    also, i have a question on that note, if you married someone who had aids (or got it through no fault of his own) would you still have unprotected sex with him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    the idea behind 'going bareback' (eg the pill or natural family planning or IUD) is that you are in a long term stable monogamous relationship, and have been both checked and cleared
    Imo, any method used to attempt prevention of fertilisation is a contraceptive. Why are condoms seen as being worse (in the eyes of the Catholic Church) than any other method that prevents fertilisation? Or aren't they? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, the rythym method is completely acceptable, but i would think equally as wrong. Acting in a way that is contraception (against conception) is the same to me! So whether you use a hundred different ways or just one its allthe same.

ReputationRep:
    also, as to the condoms spreading aids, im gonna stick with every major health authority over the vatican who would say just about anything to uphold their views (sorry to offend) but it how it looks to me! i think its dispicible to tell someone with aids to not use a condom with his wife and any who would say it needs shooting!

(Original post by Lauren Hart)
    also, as to the condoms spreading aids, im gonna stick with every major health authority over the vatican who would say just about anything to uphold their views (sorry to offend) but it how it looks to me! i think its dispicible to tell someone with aids to not use a condom with his wife and any who would say it needs shooting!
    Unless you have studied the debates for and against the dubious protection offered by condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS, you will not have the necessary understanding to give an informed opinion.

As with everything else that is subject to debate, if one only listens to or is exposed only to one side of the debate, one is never able to move forward in a mature manner - e.g. what do you know of the controlled studies into eradicating AIDS in Nigeria and Somalia, using differing methods - and do you know the outcomes in terms of increases and decreases in the spread of AIDS?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.