The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Apagg
Regardless of the efficacy of condoms in preventing AIDS, even if it is as low as 85% (as your source seems to suggest), given that people will have sex anyway, it is best not to tell them that condoms make things worse, which is the belief of many in Africa. 85% protection is better than none at all.

http://www.condoms4life.org/facts/CondomsAndAIDS.htm
Read this, most notably

If one wishes to promote indiscriminate sexual activity and increase the profits of the producers of condoms (they are probably paying for the research!) then one will make all sorts of claims re efficacy.

The point that the wearing of condoms is not reducing the increase of AIDs is surely worth thinking about!
Reply 81
yawn
If one wishes to promote indiscriminate sexual activity and increase the profits of the producers of condoms (they are probably paying for the research!) then one will make all sorts of claims re efficacy.

The point that the wearing of condoms is not reducing the increase of AIDs is surely worth thinking about!

Yeah, I hear the World Health Organisation rakes in millions from sales of condoms :rolleyes: Don't be so silly
The Church has an equally strong, (if not stronger) motive to manipulate statistics - it pushes their doctrine.

Correlation does not equal causation. It might be that more condoms are given out in areas where HIV is more prevalent in an attempt to slow the spread of HIV. There's no way of telling what the number of cases would be if condoms had not be issued. Besides which, in many African nations civil war has been a major contributor towards HIV infection through rape - rapists don't use condoms. And, in some cases, the rapists deliberately infected their victims. Don't be tricked by simple manipulation of statistics.

Just read some more of your source, and even it admits

the WHO affirmed in 2002 that 99% of HIV infections in Africa were due to non-protected intercourse, one should also consider what some authors have recently put expressed, that is, the possibility that the majority of new HIV/AIDS cases in Africa are not due to sexual relationships, but rather to the reuse of needles for injections, given the inadequate sanitary infrastructure in the continent

So HIV spreads almost entirely through unprotected sex and drug use. Increasing condom use reduces the spread of HIV through the first. Decreasing it will do the reverse. Furthermore, as I said earlier in this post, the spread of HIV/AIDS may be unrelated to condom usage, and may be caused by drug use instead.
Reply 82
yawn
Bull****!

It's you who needs to get your facts right!

The phsyical act of love between a man and a woman within marriage is an expression of their unity.

The Catholic Church permits the use of 'natural methods' of birth control - this makes a nonsense of your claim that the act of sex is only for procreation.

You may be a Catholic but you have little understanding of your faith. :rolleyes:

Actually, it is you that is completley 100% wrong.
A quick Google of the Vatican's views on sex within marriage won't make you a know-it-all, so stop pretending like you are.

To the person who mentioned Chaucer, you are spot-on. Yawn, take a look at some medieval literature to reveal the essence of the teachings of the Catholic Church, the Church today has to word things with extreme care, read some Chaucer to find out what the Chirch really feels (this was when they had no one to challenge them).

"membres" <--- Reproductive Organs
only to be used for "purgacion of urine" <----- passing of urine
with sex seen as base and dirty, and not advised as an ideal state by St. Paul.
Source: The Cantebury Tales, The Wife of Baths Prologue and Tale, by Geoffery Chaucer.

Do your research yawn. Then talk to me about how the Catholic Church REALLY feels. I state FACTS about the Catholic church. They never have, and never will believe in any method to avoid fertilization.

Let me stress again, I wholly disagree with my Church, but at least I am aware of what they are trying to say.
Reply 83
blah
Actually, it is you that is completley 100% wrong.
A quick Google of the Vatican's views on sex within marriage won't make you a know-it-all, so stop pretending like you are.

I do not want to personalise this debate, blah - but really, it is there in black and white if you care to read it. What a man who lived in the 13th century (Chaucher) can say about today's Church and it's views of reproduction I don't know! :rolleyes: Pope Paul VI's encyclical on Humanae Vitae is very clear and this is where I take my teaching of the Church from.

blah
Do your research yawn. Then talk to me about how the Catholic Church REALLY feels. I state FACTS about the Catholic church. They never have, and never will believe in any method to avoid fertilization.

Let me stress again, I wholly disagree with my Church, but at least I am aware of what they are trying to say.

I would suggest that you really don't know what you are talking about and recommend that you go back to Church once in a while and listen to what the priest is saying, rather than your interpretation of what is being said!

I speak as a Cathechist - what is your qualification?
Reply 84
yawn

I speak as a Cathechist - what is your qualification?

Theology & Religions PhD

And don't you mean Catechist? Just checking.
Reply 85
blah
Theology & Religions PhD

So no in depth knowledge of the teachings of the Catholic Church then ?

I seriously doubt that you are telling the truth anyway - particularly as you have been enquiring about the hourly rate of pay for 18 year olds at Marks and Spencers!
Reply 86
Enough. Head to D&D if you want to discuss political motivations for promoting/discouraging condoms.

Latest

Trending

Trending