Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon Girl)
    I know! It's rare for anyone from our school to go - although the last person from our school to go to Cambridge to do Maths got a first last year! (I think my Head of Sixth wrote that in my reference - why?)

In our year four applied (2 Ox 2 Cam), but I was the only one that was pushed into it - I didn't think I was up to the standard. The others all obviously thought they were good enough! :p: I was the only one that got an offer though. One of them was REALLY clever though and she didn't get in. I was really shocked. Although it was Medicine.

Also, a girl in my year who left to do A levels at college who a) is also REALLY clever and b) spends ALL her time doing schoolwork/educational type things applied to Oxford and didn't get in.

It's weird though, that out of all these people, the people who I thought would get in didn't. You don't know what they're looking for though, I suppose.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense. Never mind. Yawn . . . Don't think I'd be able to do an all-nighter like noooni!
    at school i never thought of myself as anything special, i was good at languages but that didnt seem to get as much praise as someone who was good at maths or science. 5 people who i went thru school thinking were way cleverer than me and had always planned on oxbridge applied as well as me (i was doing it on the off chance that cam liked me), and i was the only one to get in.

it's a bit weird for me to think of myself as one of the (i hate to say it) "best".

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but you don't have to say it - that's what your family's for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gravastar)
    Yeah, but you don't have to say it - that's what your family's for.
    god, tell me about it i'm gonna hit the next person to give me the "ooohh cambridge" look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon Girl)
    I

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense. Never mind. Yawn . . . Don't think I'd be able to do an all-nighter like noooni!
    its not worth it in the end, i mean fun at the time, but then i fell asleep as soon as we got home at around 10am and woke up 3 pm, and now i know my body clock is going to messed up for days and days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **noooni**)
    its not worth it in the end, i mean fun at the time, but then i fell asleep as soon as we got home at around 10am and woke up 3 pm, and now i know my body clock is going to messed up for days and days.

Awwwww poor you :p:.

I screwed up my body clock over easter (leading to a lot of early morning posting in this thread) doing all nighters, its really not good for your health!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    Awwwww poor you :p:.

I screwed up my body clock over easter (leading to a lot of early morning posting in this thread) doing all nighters, its really not good for your health!!
    I remember - i was the only one up reading those posts

How sad:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **noooni**)
    I remember - i was the only one up reading those posts

How sad:p:
    :five:

Remember we are the cool ones :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Jim)
    god, tell me about it i'm gonna hit the next person to give me the "ooohh cambridge" look.
    Oh enjoy it. May as well learn the fine art of unbridled arrogance if you're going to be at Caius for 3 of the next 4 years, with all the Etonians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    :five:

Remember we are the cool ones :p:
    like yeah! ;thumbsup;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Jim)
    I feel like i dont even deserve that look so i just cringe away with a look that says 'leave me alone, il probably miss my grades anyway'

ReputationRep:
    ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gravastar)
    Oh enjoy it. May as well learn the fine art of unbridled arrogance if you're going to be at Caius for 3 of the next 4 years, with all the Etonians.
    hahaha i cannit WAIT to see if this stereotype's true. = me, with very posh people = very funny situation.

ReputationRep:
    I think 11 people from my college got into Oxbridge this year (but it's a huge place, there were 600ish in the year)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, 11 people got in from my college (4 ox, 7 cam) but again there were around 600 of us in the year.
    I know what you mean Noooni, when people ask where i'm off to, i always start with .... well, if i get the grades..... its just embarassing. You dont want to come over as being falsely modest, but at the same time I feel really uncomfortable with the 'wow, you must be clever'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie_J)
    I know what you mean Noooni, when people ask where i'm off to, i always start with .... well, if i get the grades..... its just embarassing. You dont want to come over as being falsely modest, but at the same time I feel really uncomfortable with the 'wow, you must be clever'.
    I did that, before results came out. The worst bit is that I'm working in the same company as my dad over the summer and he'd told all his colleagues I had an offer for Cambridge...the day results came out, I went home at lunchtime to get them, and I was worried that if I didn't meet my offer I wouldn't have the guts to go back to work - everybody there just assumed I'd got in already:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afoneleri)
    - everybody there just assumed I'd got in already:rolleyes:
    my parents' friend doesn't seem to get the idea of having a conditional offer. i've been trying to explain to him for about 3 months that it all depends whether i get AAA or not, then he always follows it with "well yes i suppose, it's all up to you of course, your decision."
    *raised eyebrow*

ReputationRep:
    oh well i´d rather be embarassed about saying i´m (hopefully) going to cambridge than be embarassed about going to like...thames valley.

ReputationRep:
    I always look at the floor when people ask me where are you going to Uni... um er maybe cambridge if i make my grades, and try and muffle the word cambridge as much as possible. Mainly because i then hate people assuming i'm the cleverest person they know, which is so untrue, also i know serval oxbridge graduates, and they are all very wierd, bar one... am severally worried i might become even lore odd then i currently am!!

ReputationRep:
    I know, I always say "IF I get the grades" and then they say "Yeah, but you're clever, if you can't get in, who can?"

They don't seem to understand that there are a lot of people who are a lot cleverer than me. That I'm up against the best of the best for the first time in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazynutter)
    also i know serval oxbridge graduates, and they are all very wierd, bar one... am severally worried i might become even lore odd then i currently am!!
    yeah, i've kinda yet to meet a cambridger who wasn't a bit bizarre...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.