The Student Room Group

Successful Cambridge Applicants Chat - 2006

Scroll to see replies

Mr. Jim
god, tell me about it :frown: i'm gonna hit the next person to give me the "ooohh cambridge" look.

I feel like i dont even deserve that look so i just cringe away with a look that says 'leave me alone, il probably miss my grades anyway'
ditto
Reply 3942
Gravastar
Oh enjoy it. May as well learn the fine art of unbridled arrogance if you're going to be at Caius for 3 of the next 4 years, with all the Etonians.

hahaha i cannit WAIT to see if this stereotype's true. = me, with very posh people = very funny situation.
Reply 3943
I think 11 people from my college got into Oxbridge this year (but it's a huge place, there were 600ish in the year)
Reply 3944
Yeh, 11 people got in from my college (4 ox, 7 cam) but again there were around 600 of us in the year.
I know what you mean Noooni, when people ask where i'm off to, i always start with .... well, if i get the grades..... its just embarassing. You dont want to come over as being falsely modest, but at the same time I feel really uncomfortable with the 'wow, you must be clever'. :frown:
Ruthie_J

I know what you mean Noooni, when people ask where i'm off to, i always start with .... well, if i get the grades..... its just embarassing. You dont want to come over as being falsely modest, but at the same time I feel really uncomfortable with the 'wow, you must be clever'. :frown:

I did that, before results came out. The worst bit is that I'm working in the same company as my dad over the summer and he'd told all his colleagues I had an offer for Cambridge...the day results came out, I went home at lunchtime to get them, and I was worried that if I didn't meet my offer I wouldn't have the guts to go back to work - everybody there just assumed I'd got in already:rolleyes:
Reply 3946
afoneleri
- everybody there just assumed I'd got in already:rolleyes:

my parents' friend doesn't seem to get the idea of having a conditional offer. i've been trying to explain to him for about 3 months that it all depends whether i get AAA or not, then he always follows it with "well yes i suppose, it's all up to you of course, your decision."
*raised eyebrow*
Reply 3947
oh well i´d rather be embarassed about saying i´m (hopefully) going to cambridge than be embarassed about going to like...thames valley.
I always look at the floor when people ask me where are you going to Uni... um er maybe cambridge if i make my grades, and try and muffle the word cambridge as much as possible. Mainly because i then hate people assuming i'm the cleverest person they know, which is so untrue, also i know serval oxbridge graduates, and they are all very wierd, bar one... am severally worried i might become even lore odd then i currently am!!
I know, I always say "IF I get the grades" and then they say "Yeah, but you're clever, if you can't get in, who can?"

They don't seem to understand that there are a lot of people who are a lot cleverer than me. That I'm up against the best of the best for the first time in my life. :redface:
Reply 3950
crazynutter
also i know serval oxbridge graduates, and they are all very wierd, bar one... am severally worried i might become even lore odd then i currently am!!

yeah, i've kinda yet to meet a cambridger who wasn't a bit bizarre...
Reply 3951
Dragon Girl
I know, I always say "IF I get the grades" and then they say "Yeah, but you're clever, if you can't get in, who can?"

They don't seem to understand that there are a lot of people who are a lot cleverer than me. That I'm up against the best of the best for the first time in my life. :redface:

You aren't up against anyone, few subjects have a set number of people who get firsts, 2is etc. A first is a first is a first

Also despite the intelligence people manage to do some rather idiotic things, make sublime comments (wait till you get on facebook and read peoples favourite quotes - noramlly stupid things that their friends have said). If the undergrads are smart then you would suppose the fellows would be smarter, and yet they still managed to approve a rash of 1960s buildings which besmirch almost every colleges grounds.

This isn't the utopian intelligensia that people pretend to dread and actually are quite keen to get and experience
Reply 3952
notyourpunk
You aren't up against anyone, few subjects have a set number of people who get firsts, 2is etc. A first is a first is a first

Also despite the intelligence people manage to do some rather idiotic things, make sublime comments (wait till you get on facebook and read peoples favourite quotes - noramlly stupid things that their friends have said). If the undergrads are smart then you would suppose the fellows would be smarter, and yet they still managed to approve a rash of 1960s buildings which besmirch almost every colleges grounds.

This isn't the utopian intelligensia that people pretend to dread and actually are quite keen to get and experience

:biggrin: yey!
Reply 3953
Bring_it_on
n js hvin a few pints dwn tha pub wif ma m8zzz...luk 4ward ta meetin u all at cam nxt yr!!! mwaaah xx

I thought it was hard for idiots to make it into prestigious unis such as Cambridge...

It is a bit of a cop-out knowing that people hu typ lik dis make it into places like Cambridge University!
Reply 3954
For some reason, people always assume that I'm going to a London uni. So I tell them "nope, my firm is Cambridge. Just have to get the grades." At which point, they say "AAA?". Then I say "and STEP".
But people don't seem to realise just how hard STEP is. And when I try to explain how hard it is, they think I'm just being modest! It's a vicious circle :frown:.
Reply 3955
Dragon Girl

funnily enough thats the exact same thing people say to me! so i completly understand.
Muffin Man
For some reason, people always assume that I'm going to a London uni. So I tell them "nope, my firm is Cambridge. Just have to get the grades." At which point, they say "AAA?". Then I say "and STEP".
But people don't seem to realise just how hard STEP is. And when I try to explain how hard it is, they think I'm just being modest! It's a vicious circle :frown:.

I got fed up of explaining what STEP is, so I just gave up and started saying "AA, plus decent grades in a couple of additional hard maths papers". Honestly, if the unwashed masses don't know about the Maths Tripos admissions process, how can we expect them to succeed in life?

:rolleyes:
Reply 3957
Atomik
I thought it was hard for idiots to make it into prestigious unis such as Cambridge...

It is a bit of a cop-out knowing that people hu typ lik dis make it into places like Cambridge University!

Be gone peasant! Go back to Reading
Reply 3958
Dragon Girl

Absolutely. Its always "naaahhhh you'll do it....*casual flap of the hand*.... you're clever, you'll be fine". :frown:
Ehh, going back a bit, my school had four (out of 16 applicants) get in to Oxford and nine (out of 20-odd) Cambridge. I was the LAST, having been pooled, and felt kind of bad because there were eight pooled for Cambridge and I was the only one who got an offer...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending