(Original post by tctc)
    thats a rhetorical question :p:
    :poke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **noooni**)
    :poke:
    ouch!

ReputationRep:
    *wonders if BitTorrent will be blocked too...doesn't care about tv channels, but if he can't download the newest Stargate/Scrubs/Lost he may cry*
    I really want to bring my mini-fridge, but I'm a little worried as I read some colleges have banned them after one caused a fire in Emma..?

ReputationRep:
    Mini-fridge ----> fire??

How :eek:?

ReputationRep:
    Mini-fridge ----> fire??How ?
    you obviously haven't taken physics think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honza)
    you obviously haven't taken physics think about it.
    I don't follow why a mini-fridge in particular would cause a fire. I took physics :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Fridges heat up the surrounding area, I would imagine. Not to mention the inherent safety problems of electricity, particularly when students with little thought of health/safety are involved.

ReputationRep:
    well I don't think Emmanuel has banned them, even if it was involved in such an incident. In fact, in most rooms I think they provide them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't follow why a mini-fridge in particular would cause a fire. I took physics.
    yes, but you're a mathmo;p

ReputationRep:
    Physics
    overheating
    chemistry/physics
    leaking NH3 reacts with air... explodes... (with heat)
    im a firestarter a twisted firestarter

and torrents wont be blocked if i can help it

this sounds fun:
    Refrigerator Fails, Leading to a Series of Explosions
    A malfunctioning refrigerator triggered a series of chemical explosions when chemicals stored in the hallway refrigerator overheated. After the initial explosion, the company's sprinkler system turned on, and water mixed with the chemicals to create hydrochloric acid, causing another explosion. No injuries occurred, but 17 people had to be decontaminated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tctc)
    Physics
    overheating
    chemistry/physics
    leaking NH3 reacts with air... explodes... (with heat)
    im a firestarter a twisted firestarter

and torrents wont be blocked if i can help it

this sounds fun:
    WAHHHHH!!!!!.... my frizby broke bought it in brighton a few days ago, it gave me so much joy... and i killed it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Flipside)
    *wonders if BitTorrent will be blocked too...doesn't care about tv channels, but if he can't download the newest Stargate/Scrubs/Lost he may cry*
    I really want to bring my mini-fridge, but I'm a little worried as I read some colleges have banned them after one caused a fire in Emma..?
    You can only use BT at certain designated colleges... I can think of two.

Then again, I don't need BT or DC++ to get my dose of scrubs. I have other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honza)
    yes, but you're a mathmo;p
    Don't underestimate the mathmos... a disproportionate number of us are schiz/pyscho/both...... :eek:

....but of course we are easily the most interesting breed of 'academic' :p:

im going a bit hyper with the smilies, arent i?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uz_master)
    Don't underestimate the mathmos... a disproportionate number of us are schiz/pyscho/both...... :eek:

....but of course we are easily the most interesting breed of 'academic' :p:

im going a bit hyper with the smilies, arent i?
    I'm obviously the only mathmo not kidding myself.

ReputationRep:
    I found maths very ...uninteresting. It's like 2 plus 2 is 4. It will always be four. that fact is undisputable. 2 plus 2 will never be anything other than four. With the arts there's a lot more room for discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsmeeth)
    I found maths very ...uninteresting. It's like 2 plus 2 is 4. It will always be four. that fact is undisputable. 2 plus 2 will never be anything other than four. With the arts there's a lot more room for discussion.
    Good luck defending that one... As a prospective philosopher i feel that i should make some comment, but i will hold back under the assumption that someone else is about to do a much better job of it. On non-maths related aspect: there being room for discussion either means most people are wrong or there is no objective truth, which could easily be true of maths as well.

ReputationRep:
    But there is room for beauty, artistry, creativity, and discovery in maths. And the best bit of the arts is people actually creating stuff, rather than people writing essays about what other people did.

Philosophy doesn't slot into either category methinks.

ReputationRep:
    With the arts there's a lot more room for discussion bull****.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with something being indisputible? As far as I am concerned, the Mona Lisa is still the Mona Lisa, it will never be anything else....doesn't mean you can't admire it. Sure, 2+2=4 seems a bit crude for an example, consider it a cave painting or something...call it homomorphic to a cave painting :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffin Man)
    With the arts there's a lot more room for discussion bull****.

:p:
    Agreed. I find a lot of it quite pretentious, but it's just personal preference. I think that as long as you have something you can be passionate about, whether it's maths, history, spanish, cake, whatever, then you're doing just dandy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.