Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Flipside)
    Yeah...Ah well, we're going to Cam, we can get away with it
    Not if you ever want to 'slum it' with the UCL lasses.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they like geeks at UCL? How weird. Probably sounds a cliché, but to me the most attractive quality by far is intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    Doesn't being attracted to someone imply a sexual motivation?
    Yes, you're right, but that's usually covered up by comments such as "he's got a really great sense of humour" or "he's a great listener" or "we have lots of things in common" in order to make the attraction seem more 'pure'. Which is where I'd argue the whole concept of 'love' comes from - society's attempt to cover up what is unlikely to be more than a physical attraction.

EDIT:
    to me the most attractive quality by far is intelligence
    Case in point! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gravastar)
    Yes, you're right, but that's usually covered up by comments such as "he's got a really great sense of humour" or "he's a great listener" or "we have lots of things in common" in order to make the attraction seem more 'pure'. Which is where I'd argue the whole concept of 'love' comes from - society's attempt to cover up what is unlikely to be more than a physical attraction.
    I wouldn't say it was as distinct in that; I think being attracted to someone intrinsically means you want to jump their bones, but I wouldn't say it was an 100% physical thing (although obviously that's a factor, and sometimes it is completely physical). As for love, hmm, I'm not sure. I think a lot of it is probably biochemical trickery. Can be nice though, but not always worth the hassle!

ReputationRep:

EDIT:

Case in point! :P
    Haha, I don't know about that! Intelligence can make someone who I wouldn't normally go for seem incredibly attractive. Show me someone average looking in the street, "meh", tell me he has a PhD (as long as it's not in a social science :p:) and I'll be a lot more interested!

ReputationRep:
    As for love, hmm, I'm not sure. I think a lot of it is probably biochemical trickery. Can be nice though, but not always worth the hassle!
    Mmm, I agree. I'm sure what we call 'love' is very nice, and I'd like very much to be proved wrong, fall in love, and have some sort of fairytale relationship where everything is just swell, but it's just not something I believe in.

ReputationRep:
    You guys, brotherly love 4 teh win!!11!! (Not incest mind)

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I don't know about that! Intelligence can make someone who I wouldn't normally go for seem incredibly attractive. Show me someone average looking in the street, "meh", tell me he has a PhD (as long as it's not in a social science :p:) and I'll be a lot more interested!
    Lol, well, obviously there are other factors apart from physical appearance that people find sexy. For you it may be partly down to intelligence, which I'd say is rare. But those factors are just as likely to be negative as they are to be positive - some people become locked in a pattern of abusive relationships because, subconsciously, there's something about it that they find inherently attractive.

So yeah, it's still about sex.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Flipside)
    Well, I was, miss neutron never came out :mad:

*grumbles about women who say that and never actually look at such guys as anything more than friends *

And as for cynicism, well, I'm very cynical as you know, Ted...
    Ooooh father ted quote, respect!

(Original post by **noooni**)
    I didnt mean it that way:eek:
    I just meant i own your soul.....:p:
    Oh, dammit, I forgot I had sold you my soul, I really should stop selling it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, I agree. I'm sure what we call 'love' is very nice, and I'd like very much to be proved wrong, fall in love, and have some sort of fairytale relationship where everything is just swell, but it's just not something I believe in.
    Me neither, I think the idea of a fairytale relationship is just rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    You guys, brotherly love 4 teh win!!11!! (Not incest mind)
    Oh please, that's not a real love at all. Noone writes epic sagas about the love between two brothers :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure some have tried, must be some out there.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, well, obviously there are other factors apart from physical appearance that people find sexy. For you it may be partly down to intelligence, which I'd say is rare. But those factors are just as likely to be negative as they are to be positive - some people become locked in a pattern of abusive relationships because, subconsciously, there's something about it that they find inherently attractive.
    That's quite an interesting view, I'm not sure if it's as much finding it attractive as having a low opinion of themselves and their self worth. lol, I do think sex is responsible for a lot more than it's given credit for though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure some have tried, must be some out there
    It wouldn't have any passion. (Jolly good thing too...)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure some have tried, must be some out there.
    In the bargain book store, under a stack of Mills & Boon novels. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I do think sex is responsible for a lot more than it's given credit for though!
    Yeah - Europe is waking up from the groggy denial of the last 2000 years of Church authority...

ReputationRep:
    That Freudian stuff is weird though. I used to read my friends' Psychology texts when they were working and I was bored, and I'd be sat there either a) laughing my head off, b) going "That's just gross!" or c) going "Well that's blatantly wrong!".

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I turn my back for a few hours and people go and have an interesting convo without me!

Attraction can be all about sex (which it is at base, assuming we're outside DnD religion so we're accepting evolution) and still include non-physical stuff, as Gravastar said. On completely biased, anecdotal evidence, I'd guess that humour and confidence can swing things strongly in someones favour, intelligence depends on the kind of intelligence (worth a lot more if you're articulate), and 'kindness' and 'being a nice guy' are overrated for attracting someone in the first place, but will probably matter a lot if you're talking about hanging on to a relationship once you've got that far. And saying that relationships between men and women are all about sex is a bit wide of the mark unless you broaden 'sex' to 'reproduction in general'. Remember that the reproductive impulse involves more than just looking for the right set of genes to pass on to the child - for women in particular, there's also a push towards looking for a partner who is going to be an effective protector/provider for the child/children.

Dragon Girl, thats how most people react to Freud. I can think of no more convincing evidence that he was on to something.

ReputationRep:
    And on that mind-blowing and thread-killing note . . .

Why does everyone on this thread have to be so smart? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon Girl)
    And on that mind-blowing and thread-killing note . . .

Why does everyone on this thread have to be so smart? :p:
    We're not, we're all copying and pasting from the web in the hope that Cambridge will stumble upon it, think we're great, and let us in when we miss our grades.

Or is that just me? :cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.