Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    Well, I put it because you were pissing me off. I obviously thought there was a reason. But yes, we'll drop it and be lovers again.

Ahem.
    ZOMG!:eek: Befriend noobs is bannable!

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm loathe to extend this debate, Camford is 100% accurate - you are totally misinterpreting the common usage of the word 'noob'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    ZOMG!:eek: Befriend noobs is bannable!
    Didn't say I'd be his friend, just his lover.

PWNED!!!111

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm loathe to extend this debate, Camford is 100% accurate - you are totally misinterpreting the common usage of the word 'noob'.
    Would you care to enlighten me please on the definition? (lover...) :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, it originally came form online games, when a 'newb' or 'newbie' (i.e. someone who was new to the game) was someone you wanted to avoid playing with, because they ruined the game by being rubbish at it. That evolved to 'noob' or 'n00b' (so as to emphasise it among the other text).

However, through extensive use, it evolved from specifically meaning someone that was new, to someone who was naive or inexperienced. This probably came about as gamers started to use it on the Internet in non-gaming contexts, so when someone asked a stupid quesiton, for example, they would be branded a 'n00b!'.

Then it came to be used as a wider, general insult, when someone had made any kind of gaff. It really isn't related to tenure anymore.

Hope that helps darling

ReputationRep:
    Well, it originally came form online games, when a 'newb' or 'newbie' (i.e. someone who was new to the game) was someone you wanted to avoid playing with, because they ruined the game by being rubbish at it. That evolved to 'noob' or 'n00b' (so as to emphasise it among the other text).

However, through extensive use, it evolved from specifically meaning someone that was new, to someone who was naive or inexperienced. This probably came about as gamers started to use it on the Internet in non-gaming contexts, so when someone asked a stupid quesiton, for example, they would be branded a 'n00b!'.

Then it came to be used as a wider, general insult, when someone had made any kind of gaff. It really isn't related to tenure anymore.

Hope that helps darling
    Thank you for that. I was actually interpreting "n00b" correctly. And I did take it somewhat as an insult.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the negative reputation. That is really pathetic whom ever it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natural Scientist)
    Thank you for that. I was actually interpreting "n00b" correctly. And I did take it somewhat as an insult.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie#Newb_vs._noob

Wikipedia ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    Who cares?
    It really is silly isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?
    Noobs do.

ReputationRep:
    you've ruined this thread. go away.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?
    Exactement!

Can we move on from the whole 'n00b' thing please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    Exactement!

though we've had our duels in the past, im totally with you on this one, rpotter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    Exactement!

I haven't pwned that noob enough yet.

Otherwise sure. Let's talk about something more sensible.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiol...rainy_men.html

now discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Camford on /ignore :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I haven't pwned that noob enough yet.

Otherwise sure. Let's talk about something more sensible.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiol...rainy_men.html

now discuss.
    You are living proof that the main theme of that article is false.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Camford on /ignore :p:
    :ditto: :p:

ReputationRep:
    You people are liek total n00bs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natural Scientist)
    If you were interpreting it correctly, why were you using it wrongly? :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.