Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    My main gripe is how overpriced they are
    MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not overpriced. Compare them with similarly specced-out machines from other dealers and you'll see. (Don't forget that MacBook Pros come with a built-in webcam, and also have things like magsafe power cord connectors and an IR receiver for the [included] Front Row remote controller.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FWoodhouse)
    MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not overpriced. Compare them with similarly specced-out machines from other dealers and you'll see. (Don't forget that MacBook Pros come with a built-in webcam, and also have things like magsafe power cord connectors and an IR receiver for the [included] Front Row remote controller.)
    Webcam: Don't need a webcam
    IR Remote: Don't need a IR Remote
    The Mac Design: Don't need the Mac Design

Conclusion: Overpriced.

Suggestion: Remove all above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Webcam: Don't need a webcam
    IR Remote: Don't need a IR Remote
    The Mac Design: Don't need the Mac Design

Conclusion: Overpriced.

Suggestion: Remove all above
    I fail to see how you can call something overpriced based on it having features you don't want. If it has stuff you don't want, don't buy it, but don't call it overpriced when it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsmeeth)
    so you're all for ****ting in a hole, Tariq? Nice.
    yup, had to do that for six months in mauritius: theres nothing like being one with nature again

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how you can call something overpriced based on it having features you don't want. If it has stuff you don't want, don't buy it, but don't call it overpriced when it isn't.
    o/\o (I've given you five, in case you aren't familiar with Internet code)

People do this all the time. Macs are slight more expensive than PCs with the same specs. However, they come with a lot of extra software and hardware features. This might not be important to you, but it doesn't decrease the value proposition of the package.

ReputationRep:
    so you're all for ****ting in a hole, Tariq? Nice.
    Have I ever told you what a beautifully endearing turn-of-phrase you have, Ally?

ReputationRep:

MacBook, £749

13.3-inch widescreen display

1280 x 800 resolution

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo1

512MB memory (2 x 256MB SODIMMs)

60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive 2

Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

HP DV6000 £749

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/572_341495.html

* Processor speed: 1.8 GHz
    * Processor: AMD Turion 64 x2 Dual Core
    * Screen size: 15.4 inches widescreen
    * Storage (hard drive): 100 GB
    * Memory (RAM): 2048 MB
    * Graphics: 128MB GF7200GO
    * Combo DVD RW and CD RW Drive
    *Built in webcam
    * IR remote control

That's what I'm basing my claim on.
    To get a SIMILAR spec (still inferior) would cost £1100 from Apple. So, overpriced? Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    MacBook, £749

13.3-inch widescreen display

1280 x 800 resolution

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo1

512MB memory (2 x 256MB SODIMMs)

60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive 2

Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

HP DV6000 £749

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/572_341495.html

* Processor speed: 1.8 GHz
    * Processor: AMD Turion 64 x2 Dual Core
    * Screen size: 15.4 inches
    * Storage (hard drive): 100 GB
    * Memory (RAM): 2048 MB
    * Graphics: 128MB GF7200GO
    * Combo DVD RW and CD RW Drive
    *Built in webcam

That's what I'm basing my claim on.
    To get a SIMILAR spec (still inferior) would cost £1100 from Apple. So, overpriced? Yes
    Not overpriced, no. Just a different package. Where is OSX in the HP bundle? What about iLife? MagSafe? Durable polycarbonate shell? What about size, weight, keyboard design, and aesthetics?

These things might not be important to you. I care a lot about OSX because it allows me to work better and faster on the things I do.

I admit, though, that that HP is a damn good deal if you're happy using Windows

ReputationRep:
    thank you. i rather like it myself

ReputationRep:
    Look what my harmless little "I've got a laptop!" comment did. Surely this thread can do better than tech wars? :p:

ReputationRep:
    yawn. my computer gets the internet, word and solitaire. i need nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

my laptop is the same, solitaire and word.... little more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    Not overpriced, no. Just a different package. Where is OSX in the HP bundle? What about iLife? MagSafe? Durable polycarbonate shell? What about size, weight, keyboard design, and aesthetics?

These things might not be important to you. I care a lot about OSX because it allows me to work better and faster on the things I do.

I admit, though, that that HP is a damn good deal if you're happy using Windows
    Seriously? You mean the things listed there are worth £400 to you? I could understand maybe +£50 for the Apple design stuff, but £400? The lack of a DVD RW on the Apple is pretty appalling, tbh.

Btw, have you seen the dv series of HP laptops? They're very pretty, I'd say on a par with Apples.

ReputationRep:
    yawn. my computer gets the internet, word and solitaire. i need nothing else.
    What? You wouldn't fight a duel to protect its honour?! :eek:

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Seriously? You mean the things listed there are worth £400 to you? I could understand maybe +£50 for the Apple design stuff, but £400? The lack of a DVD RW on the Apple is pretty appalling, tbh.

Btw, have you seen the dv series of HP laptops? They're very pretty, I'd say on a par with Apples.
    Yes, they are worth it, to me and, obviously, a lot of other people.

What lack of DVD RW? Nearly all of the current macs have it, and have done for a good while.

They aren't bad, but not a patch on Apple hardware, IMO (not that I think this is super-important).

EDIT: also, apple do a solid edu discount and rebate programmes, so it often works out a bit cheaper. Plus I'm getting an iMac, which has just been updated and is better value.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. Apple computers (especially the Mac Pro and iMac desktops) are reasonable value from my perspective, maybe not from yours. We're obviously annoying people, so we'll leave it be. Friends?

ReputationRep:
    a dell laptop, 799.
    an HP laptop, 749.

Watching someone smash a mac G5 with a baseball bat, priceless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    Yes, they are worth it, to me and, obviously, a lot of other people.

What lack of DVD RW? Nearly all of the current macs have it, and have done for a good while.

They aren't bad, but not a patch on Apple hardware, IMO (not that I think this is super-important).

EDIT: also, apple do a solid edu discount and rebate programmes, so it often works out a bit cheaper. Plus I'm getting an iMac, which has just been updated and is better value.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. Apple computers (especially the Mac Pro and iMac desktops) are reasonable value from my perspective, maybe not from yours. We're obviously annoying people, so we'll leave it be. Friends?
    Sorry if I gave the impression I hated you over this, I don't.

As far as I can see from the website the £749 MacBook lacks a DVD RW? This machine is the cause of my impression that Apple are overpriced, I haven't really looked at anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Sorry if I gave the impression I hated you over this, I don't.

As far as I can see from the website the £749 MacBook lacks a DVD RW? This machine is the cause of my impression that Apple are overpriced, I haven't really looked at anything else.
    Oh sorry, you're quite right, that model lacks a DVD writer. To be fair, you can order it with an iPod and a printer and get up to £160 of rebates, along with 8% educational discount*, but I agree it isn't the best value proposition in Apple's lineup. Rumour is they are upgrading them soon, mind.

*making it, for example, about £700 for MacBook, HP photo printer and iPod Nano

We'll leave it at that! So anyway, no one has asked me about the ****ing cool dinosaur bedsheets I bought....

ReputationRep:
    oh and mine plays DVDs. and has pretty colours.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, all in good humour, I love this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrlW_...elated&search=

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.