Successful Cambridge Applicants Chat - 2006 Watch

friendlyneutron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
tell me about it, and all those ruddy formulae for indicators! They're not even that interesting... At least it'll all be over soon! I'm planning on having a barbeque after my last exam using my exam papers as fuel.
sarahliz12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ugh the OCR sounds awful. On AQA, mod 4 (did in Jan) was new stuff, half mod 5 is new and half is sort of old stuff snuck into questions mostly on new stuff and mod 6 is a synoptic paper plus marks from practical coursework.
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do you have to choose a module for AQA chemistry Sarah? For OCR I've chosen a biochemistry module, it's basically just module 1 biology all over again :rolleyes:
sarahliz12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No it's set, or at least it is at our school. Biology teachers chose to do mod 7 instead of mod 6 though for AQA biology spec B. Microbes instead of more ecology boringness. I would have liked to do a biochemistry module. Is it good?
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's alright, it's basically just simple stuff on proteins, DNA, lipids and carbohydrates (I think we have to learn the chemical structure of the 5 nitrogenous bases though, which isn't much fun).

I'm doing the microbes module for AQA B biology too, it was either that or animal behaviour & populations. The microbe option is quite good because you relearn lots of AS stuff (cell structure etc) so it makes revising for the synpotic things a bit easier.
sarahliz12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, the microbes module's not bad. Much better than food chains and nitrogen/carbon cycles, though whilst they're pretty boring they're also pretty easy! Maybe it wouldn't be too bad normally but i'm just really bored with school in general. Really ready to move on now!
popop12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Aired)
There was a van behind me which overtook whilst I was fiddling about restarting the engine and the driver kind of glared at me when he drove past, lol. I live in the middle of nowhere though, so it wasn't as if there were pedestrians stood laughing at me

I stalled in my test:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

passed anyway!!

All I need to say is this: 12 Exams!!
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by popop12345)
I stalled in my test:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

passed anyway!!

All I need to say is this: 12 Exams!!
18 exams. :p:

And for those listing maths modules: C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, M3, S2, S3, STEP II, STEP III.

Although someone I know is doing those and resitting M1. And she's doing STEP for fun.
Liz150888
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do u englishers sit a separate exam for every module?! im slightly worried about my english exam, strange tho since i only need to get a B and the paper is only worth 30%, but yes worried anyway. on the other hand my dissertation is now under the maximum word limit! woohoo. I've got 31 days of school left how alarming and my silly exams start really early (12th of May). boo. right now ive finished feeling sorry for myself ill go and revise some dickens. :P

on the talk of transition metals i found the whole d-d electron splitting malarky fairly hard to get my head round at first...but it sort of makes sense now cos i did my investigation on it. i dont like acids/alkalis much tho...too many formulas involving too many Ka, pKa...and dont even get me start on the pH of a buffer solution...grrrr.
Duke Flipside
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by friendlyneutron)
oopsies...

17th eh? That should be roughly when i come out of my alcohol-induced coma if I make my grades! Does anyone have an exam that they're worried the most about? Maths for me, I think. There's just so much to learn! My brain feels saturated just now :s (cant type that word without thinking of ruddy op-amps, damn you, school!)
Chem for me actually...easier than maths, maybe, but we only need B's for maths...

My driving test is on Monday
friendlyneutron
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Duke Flipside)
Chem for me actually...easier than maths, maybe, but we only need B's for maths...

My driving test is on Monday
funnily enough our other natsci said that the other day, which is surprising considering! ooh didnt know bout your test, gluck!
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm going driving on the motorway tommorow, uh oh...
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Liz150888)
do u englishers sit a separate exam for every module?!
Got very confused there - thought you meant people studyng English. No idea how highers work, but A levels are split up into 6 modules, 3 AS and 3 A2. I don't know if there are any subjects where coursework is more than 2 modules - most of the ones that have coursework seem to have it as either one AS module and one A2 module, or just one A2 module. Then there's an exam paper for each module that isn't coursework.
sarahliz12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And practical exams in physics.
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sarahliz12345)
And practical exams in physics.
Really? Maybe thats only certain exam boards/specifications - physicists at my school do one coursework practical in each year and two exam papers each year.
Liz150888
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what on earth dyu have to do in a practical exam? my experiments never work...i can imagine how good id be doing A levels.

ah i sort of understand ur a-levels now. in scotus u have ur highers which are split into three units, u sit a NAB at the end of each unit and u have to pass that to sit the exam (but these count for nothing towards ur final grade) and an exam in May which covers all three units and the mark u get in that is the final mark for the course. most people do five but some do four and some do six. advanced hgihers r the same sort of effort except in some subjects u have an investigation to do as well, or a dissertation in the case of english, which is worth something towards the final mark. investigations can be on anything really but the sciencey ones normally involve u doing an experiment and then spending ur writing up explianing why it went wrong. dissertations for english are just as varied (mine is on passion in tolstoy/flaubert) and has to be 4500 words long. most folk dont do adv highers cos they arent usually needed for scottish unis, some only do one but then there are ur few weirdos who do four. sorry to bore u all with the ins and outs of the scottish exam system.
popop12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
18 exams. :p:

And for those listing maths modules: C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, M3, S2, S3, STEP II, STEP III.

Although someone I know is doing those and resitting M1. And she's doing STEP for fun.

OK you look like your into maths!! I only thought of doing C1 for fun:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
Really? Maybe thats only certain exam boards/specifications - physicists at my school do one coursework practical in each year and two exam papers each year.
I have a practical exam for chemistry
sarahliz12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For AQA physics spec B there is 1 practical exam in AS (done in June exam period) and 2 in A level year (one in exam period and one tomorrow!!). You walk in and there's apparatus out - you don't know what till you walk in - and a sheet of instructions. You have to do the experiment, results table, graph, logarithms and a couple of questions on the topic. Teacher lingers about then collects it in at the end. Did the chem practical on Thursday - but it's part of coursework rather than a practical exam. Hate praticals! Oh well, nearly there.
Aired
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I survived driving on the M6, yay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (849)
80.7%
Leave (203)
19.3%

Watched Threads