Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Horrible History
    :toofunny:

(Original post by FriendlyNeuton)
    Goosebumps were good kids books too - until they had a tv show and ruined it.
    haha I remember that. Did you ever watch "Are you Afraid of the Dark?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    Those books ruled! I loved the one about the Celts. Goosebumps were good kids books too - until they had a tv show and ruined it.
    Cut-throat Celts! That was fab! ALthough it always pissed me off because I though Celts was pronounced 'Selts' (like the football team) and it didn't alliterate properly. :mad:

Cruel Kings and Mean Queens and Terrible Tudors were the only extra reading I did for one module of AS history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)

YES! Our generation had the best tv programmes - Fresh Prince anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    YES! Our generation had the best tv programmes - Fresh Prince anyone?
    Oh my, so much rapping. If/when we get to Cam you will have to get me drunk and I'll do my Fresh Prince of Belair rap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)

That used to scare the crap out of me. There was one all about hockey sticks which turned into snakes which I swear is the one cause of my massive snake/eel phobia.

*shudder*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsleythelion)
    Oh my, so much rapping. If/when we get to Cam you will have to get me drunk and I'll do my Fresh Prince of Belair rap.
    Aah I do that too! ... But sober Still, you can't count yourself a child of the 90s unless you know all the words

ReputationRep:
    So many people think they know the words when in fact they only know the *******ised shortened version that they used after the first 3 or 4 shows. Got to learn all the words people.
    I want to do it at karaoke but they don't have it

ReputationRep:
    I begged and pleaded with her the other day
    But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
    She gave me a kissin and she gave me my ticket
    I put my walkman on and said I might aswell kick it

First class, yo this is bad,
    Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass
    Is this what the people of bel-air livin like
    Hmm this might be alright!

[/nerd]

ReputationRep:
    I never read Goosebumps books. My childhood reading was really quite weird--no Enid Blyton or 'modern' books, all Louisa May Alcott, Francis Hodgson Burnett and stuff like that. Oh, and Noel Streatfield. Over, and over, and over again. Once I sat down and thought 'I bet I can write the first chapter word-for-word' and I *nearly* did. Made some mistakes ^^. I had a 'literary' childhood I guess. In contrast, my current reading is as trashy and pulpy as it gets! Karma, I guess.

I'm a total wuss when it comes to scary stuff. I get nightmares SOOO easily. It's why I read so much paranormal romance--it kind of defuses all the scary ghosty, vampy, were-wolfy stuff. I mean, if the 'things that go bump in the night' are in love with you and protecting you, you can't really be scared of them.

I once watched an episode of 'Monster Blood' on Fox Kids (god I love that channel) and I've felt claustrophobic on aeroplanes ever since. Well, aeroplanes are claustrophobic anyway, but 'Monster Blood' just made it worse.

ReputationRep:
    Enid Blyton?? Modern????
    I didn't read Enid Blyton because it angered my six-year-old feminist sensibilities.
    (Actually that's rubbish, I loved it, all the more so because my mum tried to stop me reading them.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loocy)
    That used to scare the crap out of me. There was one all about hockey sticks which turned into snakes which I swear is the one cause of my massive snake/eel phobia.

*shudder*
    The one that scared me was about an abandoned house that was haunted by a little girl who wrote on the walls and stuff.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    I loved Enid Blyton SO MUCH and begged to go to boarding school until my mum told me about the mean nuns at her boarding school that decided not to phone and tell her parents that she had broken her arm. And there were no midnight feasts.
    So I stuck to the Magic Faraway Tree after that.. that book was very strange looking back on it..

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Moonface and Silky and the different worlds at the top of the tree where bad children got their comeuppance.... :rolleyes: Ah, the memories.

I was a fan of the 'Five Find-Outers' - SO much cooler than the famous five. They were led by a boy named Fatty and the dog didn't count as a member, they actually had five people...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Enid Blyton, the daft old racist. I always preferred Roald Dahl

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Moonface and Silky and the different worlds at the top of the tree where bad children got their comeuppance.... :rolleyes: Ah, the memories.

I was a fan of the 'Five Find-Outers' - SO much cooler than the famous five. They were led by a boy named Fatty and the dog didn't count as a member, they actually had five people...
    Secret Seven all the way! So much more variety when you've got seven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Ah, Enid Blyton, the daft old racist. I always preferred Roald Dahl
    Ooh me too! I used to read Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts religiously. I loved that "How My Body Works" series - I always remember my mum not letting me get the reproduction issue (mind you I was about 5)... and I once wondered if medicine was the right career choice :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loocy)
    Secret Seven all the way! So much more variety when you've got seven.
    Variety?? Pfft. George and Colin - who knew the difference between them? Jack was only distinctive because he had an annoying sister, and Peter was only special because he was the leader and Scamper's 'master.' As for Pam and Barbara....

OMG I know all their names I know all their names :eek:
    (the one I missed out was Janet)

ReputationRep:
    Variety?? Pfft. George and Colin - who knew the difference between them? Jack was only distinctive because he had an annoying sister, and Peter was only special because he was the leader and Scamper's 'master.' As for Pam and Barbara....

OMG I know all their names I know all their names :eek:
    (the one I missed out was Janet)
    I still appear to have all the Mallory Towers books in my room. Definitely reading those tonight...

What was everyone's favourite Roald Dahl? I always liked The BFG, he was cool.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that's a hard one, Fantastic Mr. Fox is good. I always felt really sorry for the BFG

ReputationRep:
    Matilda! All the way. But the BFG would be second. George's Marvellous Medicine - how wrong was that?? Theme for children's book: granny-poisoning :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.