Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **noooni**)
    Oh dear god! I really hope they dont ask me to send them my passport photo.
    Haha, same! They'll withdraw my offer...'Hey, we don't remember her looking this rough at the interview...'

ReputationRep:
    A passport photo, as in a passport size photo of your face - not the photo from your passport! It was indeed for the university card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    A passport photo, as in a passport size photo of your face - not the photo from your passport! It was indeed for the university card.
    Phewww.
    I can look normal-ish in the photo i send.

ReputationRep:
    I look all confused/amused in my passport photo as I didn't realise it was an oldstylee machine where it just started taking photos once you shoved the money in, I thought I'd have a minute to compose myself then get to choose which photo I liked.. My CAF one was also crappy as I had to actually have it taken in a photo shop and the guy gave me NO time to prepare myself at all. Bah.

The one on my uni card will go right though, I swear! Not that I've been asked to provide one yet.

ReputationRep:
    For such a long time I had a real bug-eyed passport photo because I thought I would blink and was desperate not to. Customs officials used to gather round and mock... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    "I'm going to Caius actually, but I am taking a gap year. How about yourself?"

I originally put deffered entry on my form but when i went for interview they didnt like the idea, and to be honest i hadnt planned it well enough for it to wofk well anyway so now im direct entry.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, another Caian then? Good to meet you. What will you be studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsleythelion)
    For such a long time I had a real bug-eyed passport photo because I thought I would blink and was desperate not to. Customs officials used to gather round and mock... :rolleyes:
    Hey, parsleythelion, I'm feeling quite stupid now, but I looked at your sig and thought that the two links "Give blood!" and "Give food for free!" were part of the same thing and that you were representing some sort of weird vampire society that visited blood banks. As I said, feeling stupid...but it did make me giggle:rolleyes:

(sorry if this has already been mentioned )

ReputationRep:
    I never noticed that Bryllyg! Hehe. :p: Maybe it's on purpose - it grabbed your attention didn't it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryllyg)
    Hey, parsleythelion, I'm feeling quite stupid now, but I looked at your sig and thought that the two links "Give blood!" and "Give food for free!" were part of the same thing and that you were representing some sort of weird vampire society that visited blood banks. As I said, feeling stupid...but it did make me giggle:rolleyes:

(sorry if this has already been mentioned )
    :ninja:
    What an absurd idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahliz12345)
    I never noticed that Bryllyg! Hehe. :p: Maybe it's on purpose - it grabbed your attention didn't it?!
    Grabbed my attention? No! What on earth are you suggesting?...not that I was hoping to have found an accomplice in Parsleythelion...no no nononono not at all....

(puts vampire teeth in glass at side of bed and looks around nervously)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gravastar)
    Ah, another Caian then? Good to meet you. What will you be studying?
    No Selwyn im happy to say (not that caius is any etter or worse), Natural Sciences (bio) but i still need to get the grades!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody apart from me heard about the plagiarism case for Kaavya Viswanathan? She's a sophomore at Harvard who plagiarised other chick-lit authors (2 of which I've read--Sophie Kinsella 'Shopaholic' and Meg Cabot 'Princess Diaries'). Interestingly, the whole publishing and writing of this novel was wrapped up in her Harvard admissions process. I was discussing this on a forum, and somebody said that:

"Providence [R.I.] Journal article about
    a company that prepares students for $40,000 A YEAR, including
    Kaavya Viswanathan, to be accepted at Ivy League schools. For
    that money, it micromanages the course selection, clubs,
    volunteering, European trips, the college application process, etc.,
    as well arranging for prestigious summer internships. It has a
    very high acceptance rate in the Ivies (I vaguely remember 80%).
    As a matter of fact, it has since branched out into advising
    parents about how to get their children into the right
    kindergarten, elementary school, and later, high school. The
    company submitted her few chapters, written during high school,
    to a contact (I can't remember whether it was an actual publisher,
    but it was someone in publishing) who rejected it as "too dark."
    Subsequently, it was sent to a "polisher" who apparently rewrote
    much of it and, if I remember correctly, entitled it. Then, it was
    submitted to the publisher who committed to publishing it. It is
    no surprise that Kaavya Viswanathan was accepted into Harvard. I
    wonder how much of the actual text did this young woman write."

It's quite creepy that Americans are THAT obsessed with getting their kids into the Ivies...

Incidentally, I put 'I wrote two novels' in my personal statement, so I saw some quite ironic similarities between myself and her. Of course, my parents didn't pay $40,000 a year to prep me for getting into Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I posted 'lol' on a thread below because it was entitled 'Cambridge Dairies' [sic] which struck me as funny. Now I'm concerned that Craig Barton will think I was undermining his literary efforts which I wasn't, but the thread is now closed so I can't clarify. Sorry Craig Barton - good on you for writing a book!

(Good on sassygirl for writing two! I may have asked this before, but what genre?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassygirl)
    Has anybody apart from me heard about the plagiarism case for Kaavya Viswanathan? She's a sophomore at Harvard who plagiarised other chick-lit authors (2 of which I've read--Sophie Kinsella 'Shopaholic' and Meg Cabot 'Princess Diaries'). Interestingly, the whole publishing and writing of this novel was wrapped up in her Harvard admissions process. I was discussing this on a forum, and somebody said that:

Incidentally, I put 'I wrote two novels' in my personal statement, so I saw some quite ironic similarities between myself and her. Of course, my parents didn't pay $40,000 a year to prep me for getting into Cambridge...
    Yeah I read about that. I can't remember where but it showed exactly which bits had been copied from other novels. They were practically the same with the odd word changed now and again - you'd think she'd have had more intelligence and changed a bit more!

ReputationRep:
    I also remember reading this http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/b...icle305546.ece story about a novelist accused of plagiarism - the compared extracts couldn't be much more similar if they tried, though she put it down to 'photographic memory' - which I guess is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who pays $40,000 for someone to pick their university course for them can't be THAT smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parsleythelion)
    I also remember reading this http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/b...icle305546.ece story about a novelist accused of plagiarism - the compared extracts couldn't be much more similar if they tried, though she put it down to 'photographic memory' - which I guess is possible.
    Its actually quite a common phenomenon - people read things that stay on in their subconscious even though they consciously forget them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want a sing song?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good, but I dunno how exactly it'd work on an internet forum, what with the lack of sound and all...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.