Which of these Surrey towns do you find to be most posh? Watch

Timon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Surrey has an over abundance of posh snooty towns and villages to choose from, if that's what you're looking for. However, which of these towns I have listed do you find to be the poshest?

1. Godalming

2. Dorking

3. Guildford

4. Farnahm

5. Reigate

6. Haslemere

7. Leatherhead

8. Epsom

9. Esher

10. Weybridge

11. Thames Ditton

12. Virginia Water

13. Woking

14. Oxshott

15. Cobham
username858757
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is a ferrari dealer near Virginia Waters. So lets say that. Strange thread
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Timon)
Surrey has an over abundance of posh snooty towns and villages to choose from, if that's what you're looking for. However, which of these towns I have listed do you find to be the poshest?

1. Godalming

12. Virginia Water
Both are fairly posh.

Lol, Woking posh?
KingGoonIan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My GF lives in Woking! Went there last night and we had to keep changing pubs trying to find the most affordable place to eat. The cheapest we found (which wasn't wetherspoons) was burger and chips for £10! Still expensive but much better than other places, I couldn't believe it tbh. My local does great meals for about £6.

Anyway poshest place would have to be Oxshott for me, the houses are massive! Fav place on your list would be Guilford.
Xyls
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I live in Farnham \o/
Lady_Fantabulous
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cobham or Oxshott I think
HistoryGeek93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mum grew up in Epsom,
I think it used to be posh.

They've now knocked down the house were she grew up (Where my Granny and GrandDad where Still living) to make the enterance to a new estate -_- Urbanisation?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lady_Fantabulous)
Cobham or Oxshott I think
Cobham really?
scribble_girl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Having lived, worked or gone to school in about half those places, here's my ordering, from poshest to least...

Godalming
Farnham
Weybridge
Oxshott
Cobham
Guildford
Haslemere
Dorking
Epsom
Leatherhead
Esher
Virginia Water
Reigate
Thames Ditton
Woking

That said this is all totally arbitrary.. firstly the description 'posh' is so vague - do we mean old money or new money? Country estates and racketty old cars or huge modern mansions and brand new Jags? Secondly - everywhere's got it's posh parts. Even Woking
TheRealDarthVader
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haslemere because of it's proximity to the country's longest tunnel.
Ultraviolet.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I miss Surrey so bad xD. Probably Guildford, but all of those places have dodgy areas and lovely areas.
Peace'n'loveman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Timon)

1. Godalming

2. Dorking

3. Guildford

4. Farnahm

5. Reigate

6. Haslemere

7. Leatherhead

8. Epsom

9. Esher

10. Weybridge

11. Thames Ditton

12. Virginia Water

13. Woking

14. Oxshott

15. Cobham
Yes i have friends in surrey who live on an ex-council estate (nork) that is posher than the poshest parts of most other counties. 'The only way is Surrey' has got to be made soon. Actually surrey is a beautiful county ,with some of the poshest rambling routes i know.
Leighcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I live in Epsom and it's full of old people, charity shops and mental homes. Not very posh, really.

I'd say Oxshott is pretty damn posh - a lot of £million homes around the area. Loads of footballers live in the area. Private roads galore...
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Virginia Water followed by Haslemere.

Half the houses in VW back onto Wentworth. I remember doing some work down there, and going to the parade of shops. There was a bakery where everyone shopping was a nanny or housekeeper, and the Off Licence had Buy 6 get 1 free on Veuve Cliquot NV, instead of the usual offers on Stella.

Haslemere is nice too, although it does come across a bit Aga Lout. The Lythe Hill Hotel in Haslemere was Henry VIII's favourite love nest, and the Poacher's Pocket restaurant does a pretty amazing Sunday Lunch.
scribble_girl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
Virginia Water followed by Haslemere.

Half the houses in VW back onto Wentworth. I remember doing some work down there, and going to the parade of shops. There was a bakery where everyone shopping was a nanny or housekeeper, and the Off Licence had Buy 6 get 1 free on Veuve Cliquot NV, instead of the usual offers on Stella.

Haslemere is nice too, although it does come across a bit Aga Lout. The Lythe Hill Hotel in Haslemere was Henry VIII's favourite love nest, and the Poacher's Pocket restaurant does a pretty amazing Sunday Lunch.
I was going to say I always found Virginia Water a bit nouveau but didn't want to offend anyone - but then I saw your 'get one free on Veuve' comment and decided it was for certain :p:
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by scribble_girl)
I was going to say I always found Virginia Water a bit nouveau but didn't want to offend anyone - but then I saw your 'get one free on Veuve' comment and decided it was for certain :p:
Well, it was non-vintage.
Timon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Haslemere, to me, seems like one of those picture perfect and always prosperous Surrey country villages that you only read about in fantasy land. But, there's no denying the fact it is leafy, green and beautiful. Guildford, while very posh in many parts, seems more urban to me--almost like a miniature Kensington and Chelsea. Dorking has pretty surrounding country side, but there's a nouveau riche element about the place that can be distasteful. Not as new money crass as Esher, Weybridge or Virginia Water, but I'd say it is dominated more by corporate moguls and managers who comute to the City everyday, as opposed to high-brow, well-educated people employed in the loftier professions like medicine, law and academia.
MonkeyNews
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
By 'posh' do you mean well educated, wealthy, and not full of chavs/ethnics?

If so, I would move there in a flash.

Such snobbery towards those who are better off that you are, isnt a good trait.
longingfordeath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
6. Haslemere

Don't come to live here, if you wish to live among friendly people. I've lived here for over 30 years and hate it.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Virginia Water by far, isn't the average house price there something like £4m?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%