Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to post this in here, but I need quick help...

Does anyone have a book called Toothie and the Cat or something or other by Gene Kemp? I need a description of a cave from children's fiction and have been told this has a good one.

Or any other ideas for cave descriptions from children's books?

ReputationRep:
    Aw, 9 views and no answers - I guess no one has heard of it then. Oh well, it was worth a try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynseyweth)
    Sorry to post this in here, but I need quick help...

Does anyone have a book called Toothie and the Cat or something or other by Gene Kemp? I need a description of a cave from children's fiction and have been told this has a good one.

Or any other ideas for cave descriptions from children's books?
    Try the Famous Five books - they're obsessed with caves in those books.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried google?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the Famous Five would be good.

There's also a Secret Seven book where they find a cave as their new meeting place. I've just googled it and it's called "Secret Seven Win Through" (no.7, 1955). They gush over it quite a bit. The description of the cave should be relatively near the front (although they find a secret bit to the cave - and I can't remember if they find it straight away. Part of me thinks that later on in the book they discover an secret passage of some kind, and this leads them to a mystery - so you might want to flick through the whole book).

Also there's a book called Bag of Bones by Helen Creswell (sp?) that has a cave in it (it's a magic cave; im pretty sure they follow a bit golden cat into it and find a magic world).

One of the Narnia books has a cave in it too - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. When Eustace wanders off by himself on the island it starts to rain and he takes shelter in a cave (which has a dragon in it).

That's all I can think of for the moment. Hope some of those were helpful. I seemed to read a lot of books involving caves when I was a child, so I'll post back if I remember any more.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the new Harry Potter book have a cave description? When Dumbledore and HP go in and cross that cave-lake. Its a bit main stream I know!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, also (another Enid Blyton book!) "The Secret Island." (Hope this is actually the one I'm thinking of). Some children hate their life (they think their parents have died) and run away to live on an island. They build a house out of living trees for the summer, but in the winter they live in a cave.

--------------

And the Hobbit has LOADS of yammering on about caves (there's a bit with a dragon in a cave in that one too I think).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your help! I went round to my local library and found a few of the books people mentioned and so they should help me with my lesson on Monday.

Thanks again!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.