The Student Room Group

P1 Maths (trig equations)

I've got this practice question from www.mathsnet.net from a P1 practice paper:

Solve, for 0 < x < 180, the equation

sin(2&#952;+30) = 0.5

Now, this is what I tried to do. I tried not to get throw by the fact that the range has x and the equation has &#952;, so I assumed that x = &#952; (correctly?)

I changed my range by doubling all three sides and adding 30, to get:

30 < 2x + 30 < 390

then I wrote:

sin (2&#952;+30) = 0.5
&#945; (acute angle) = 30
draw a quadrant diagram and find that S+ means the answer is in the first and second quadrants, so

(2&#952;+30) = 30, 150
therefore 2&#952; = 0, 120
&#952; = 0, 60

but the exam answer is completely different. It uses arcsin?! I've never heard of this before. I got the wrong answer as well. :frown:

Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mik1a
I've got this practice question from www.mathsnet.net from a P1 practice paper:

Solve, for 0 < x < 180, the equation

sin(2&#952;+30) = 0.5

Now, this is what I tried to do. I tried not to get throw by the fact that the range has x and the equation has &#952;, so I assumed that x = &#952; (correctly?)

I changed my range by doubling all three sides and adding 30, to get:

30 < 2x + 30 < 390

then I wrote:

sin (2&#952;+30) = 0.5
&#945; (acute angle) = 30
draw a quadrant diagram and find that S+ means the answer is in the first and second quadrants, so

(2&#952;+30) = 30, 150
therefore 2&#952; = 0, 120
&#952; = 0, 60

but the exam answer is completely different. It uses arcsin?! I've never heard of this before. I got the wrong answer as well. :frown:

Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Arcsin is also known as sin^(-1), or inverse sin, I'm sure you've seen that before...
Reply 2
ah right

i didn't know you could divide by sine on its own... i thought it was part of a number, like sin30 ..

thanks. i'll try to solve it that way..
Reply 3
mik1a
ah right

i didn't know you could divide by sine on its own... i thought it was part of a number, like sin30 ..

You can't divide by sin on its own. It's a function which needs a number applied to it.
Reply 4
mik1a
ah right

What? noooooooo no no no no.

Sin^(-1) is like the opposite of sin

ie.

sin 30 = 0.5
sin^(-1) 0.5 = 30

etc.
Reply 5
mik1a
ah right

i think you're getting arcsin confused with cosec. inverse sin and one over sin are different things
Reply 6
What does the answer say anyway?
Reply 7
boygenious
i think you're getting arcsin confused with cosec. inverse sin and one over sin are different things

how?

inverse sin = sin^-1
one over sin = sin ^-1

isn't this right?
Reply 8
mik1a
how?

inverse sin = sin^-1
one over sin = sin ^-1

isn't this right?

For some reason they're different and not to be confused.

Oh yeah, take f(x) = sin x, then arcsin x = f^-1(x) and cosec x = 1/f(x)...
Reply 9
mik1a
how?

inverse sin = sin^-1
one over sin = sin ^-1

isn't this right?

inverse sin (arcsin) is the inverse function of y=sinx, i.e. it is the curve y = sinx reflected in the line y = x (in the region -pi/2 < x < pi/2). whereas cosec is just y = 1/ sinx
Reply 10
:confused:

ok i'll take your word for it... i haven't done cosec yet but some friends from further maths said they have ...i guess its p2 or p3

it confused me when you took sin to the other side on its own. :confused: i think i'll do it my way for now.

I just found out the questions on mathsnet change when you refresh which is probably why i got different answers to the ones they got.
Reply 11
mik1a
:confused:

ok i'll take your word for it... i haven't done cosec yet but some friends from further maths said they have ...i guess its p2 or p3

it confused me when you took sin to the other side on its own. :confused: i think i'll do it my way for now.

I just found out the questions on mathsnet change when you refresh which is probably why i got different answers to the ones they got.

Your answers seem just fine to me.

Cosecant, secant and cotangent are P2 but not too hard to understand.

cosecX or cscX = 1/sinX
secX = 1/cosX
cotX = 1/tanX
Reply 12
ahh seem very simple

would that make cosec x and sec x tend to infinity when sin x and cos x touch the x axis

and inversely cot x touches the x axis at 90, 270 etc. when tan x would tend to infinity?
Reply 13
mik1a
ahh seem very simple

would that make cosec x and sec x tend to infinity when sin x and cos x touch the x axis

and inversely cot x touches the x axis at 90, 270 etc. when tan x would tend to infinity?

Wouldn't know, no textbook nearby.

Look it up on mathsnet.com...
ZJuwelH
Wouldn't know, no textbook nearby.

Look it up on mathsnet.com...

Irony is, I do none of this in P2 Trig.

All I do in P2 Trig is the same sort of equations etc, but using radians.

No new identities whatsoever, same 2 as in P1.

AQA Syllabus B Rules!!!!
Reply 15
mik1a
ahh seem very simple

Yes.
Reply 16
nice easy

lol you dont do radians in P1... silly AQA !!
Reply 17
mik1a
nice easy

lol you dont do radians in P1... silly AQA !!

I did, I'm on syllabus A.
ZJuwelH

Juwel, can I ask you a question?

Would it be possible for me to do my A-Level Maths on AQA B, and do an A-Level Further Maths on OCR??

Appreciate your advice
ZJuwelH

Yes, but I know that on AQA B we do functions in P1, whereas it's on P2 on OCR.

However, AQA B is still a v.good syllabus, it doesn't teach harder trig concepts till later modules, hence it's easier for me to get my Grade A at AS!!! :biggrin:

Latest