The Student Room Group

I'm in a difficult situation with my A Levels, and I need some help...

Hey everyone,

I'll start by explaining my current situation. So this year, I achieved BCC in maths, chemistry and biology A levels; and now I'm studying Economics BSc at Brunel university.

There's a few problems with that ~ I've now been at uni for roughly 2 months, and I really dislike it here. The social and intellectual atmosphere isn't as rigorous as what I'd have hoped for. By this I'm implying I want to go to a better university because I really value my undergrad degree.
I didn't understand this during my A levels, but everything just makes sense now. I can't imagine myself spending my second year here, let alone becoming an alumni of Brunel. A levels were a tough period for me - I didn't study whatsoever, and I consider myself lucky that I have my grades for the effort I put in.

What I want your help with:
It's mid-November now. I haven't really considered this until now, but should I re-take some modules for my A levels and drop out of uni completely? As in, line up all of my exams for June and start asap. I know I didn't have any motivation or mental strength to study then - I was naive and stupid because I couldn't foresee the consequences. However I'm really willing to give it a go now and put my head down.
Do you think it's slightly blasphemous to retake some A level modules while still enrolled at uni?

If I did end up retaking, my intention would be to apply for top institutions of Economics e.g. LSE, UCL...

Alternatively, I am really strongly considering applying to unis overseas. I would really value the opportunity to "expand my horizons", and I don't really mind where, just as long as it's a uni with credible reputation. In this case, I will obviously try to achieve a first class result for my first year and transfer/enter from year 1.

What are your thoughts on this? If you have similar experiences of what I'm going through, or know of anyone that has been, please describe! Thank you! As you can tell this really means a lot to me.
I've heard of people before doing really well in their first year and then transferring to a better university, sounds an easier route than dropping out to do re take a levels.
Reply 2
Yo,

yeah I'd have loved to do that too. the thing is though, I have contacted departments of unis I am interested in and I need the minimum A level requirements (in the region of AAB) on top of a good 2:1 result at least.
:frown:
Check how your target universities view resit candidates first, or you could be wasting your time.
Reply 4
thanks everyone for the replies, i'm glad there were a few lol...

the situation has changed slightly. i'm not really planning on resitting my A levels any more.
I would however like finish my degree/ start a new one elsewhere. Does anyone have suggestions?
For universities I mean.

The UK has a very clear distinction between good and bad uni's, and imo there doesn't lie a middle ground
for people that messed up like me (unless I go to a bad uni...). Somewhere internationally preferrably would suit me,
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending