The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

A few questions to people who live/study in Kent, preferably Canterbury

Well I have applied to study radiography at Canterbury Christ Church university. And i have a few questions that I would like to ask about Canterbury.

What is there to do in canterbury? Alot or is there absolutely F all

What is the ethnicity like? I am a black african and I wouldn't want to feel like a super minority. I dont have a problem, I just have fears that I would get racially attacked.

What is the nightlife like?

Im asking this from a point of view. Living right now in leicester, which is quite big. Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by yeebz93
Well I have applied to study radiography at Canterbury Christ Church university. And i have a few questions that I would like to ask about Canterbury.

What is there to do in canterbury? Alot or is there absolutely F all

What is the ethnicity like? I am a black african and I wouldn't want to feel like a super minority. I dont have a problem, I just have fears that I would get racially attacked.

What is the nightlife like?

Im asking this from a point of view. Living right now in leicester, which is quite big. Thanks :biggrin:

Funny coincidence since I live in Leicestershire when I'm not studying in Kent. :biggrin: Anyway Canterbury is obviously not as good as Leicester mainly due to size. However there are lots of pubs and places to eat and is overall a very nice place to live. There are a few clubs (Club Chemistry being one of the favourites here) which are fine but not much compared to larger cities. In terms of ethnic diversity there is plenty of it, I've met people from loads of countries/backgrounds.

Hope that helps! :biggrin:
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by sicarius1992
Funny coincidence since I live in Leicestershire when I'm not studying in Kent. :biggrin: Anyway Canterbury is obviously not as good as Leicester mainly due to size. However there are lots of pubs and places to eat and is overall a very nice place to live. There are a few clubs (Club Chemistry being one of the favourites here) which are fine but not much compared to larger cities. In terms of ethnic diversity there is plenty of it, I've met people from loads of countries/backgrounds.

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

Thanks, I just saw a video of the place Canterbury and the place just looked dry. Im not that type of person thats into pubs but mainly clubs tho lol
You're not going to find a lot clubwise, there's Chemistry and Chill and at UoK there's the Venue. Other than that, bars and pubs are the best bet. Also, definitely have no fear in feeling a minority, loads of people from every type of background..
Reply 4
Original post by Champagne Supernova
You're not going to find a lot clubwise, there's Chemistry and Chill and at UoK there's the Venue. Other than that, bars and pubs are the best bet. Also, definitely have no fear in feeling a minority, loads of people from every type of background..

Im sure glad to hear that :biggrin: I wonder what sort of music they play in theirr clubs. Ill be putting this as my insurance tho
Reply 5
depends on the night, although there's not the craziest nightlife, there's generally a good friendly atmosphere. theres a bit of everything- dubstep nights at alberrys, random acoustic nights at bars, venues with live bands (rock, metal), at the clubs there's cheesy, top 40 stuff, indie. so yeah, not up to london's standards but still cool.
Was chatting about this at work today (ironically one of the club's) and was saying how Canterbury had such a large student population with 3, pretty large unis within it but didn't have a good nightlife! We're down to 3 clubs, one is limited to UKC students on weekdays and tbh none of them have any amazing atomsphere. There's a few nice pubs and things, and the Attic on the UKC campus, if you can get signed in, do have some live acts, and there's loads of different themed nights in the clubs and things but nothing special.

Moving to Canterbury will be much, much different. The "city" is smaller than my hometown and there's a diffferent feel between the high street and the cobbled streets of the city centre than it usually would in a city, with more countryside the further towards Whitstable and Rough Common you go. It's a nice city to live in, nothing overly expensive but nothing overly exciting either. I do enjoy it here, however.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Loz17
Was chatting about this at work today (ironically one of the club's) and was saying how Canterbury had such a large student population with 3, pretty large unis within it but didn't have a good nightlife! We're down to 3 clubs, one is limited to UKC students on weekdays and tbh none of them have any amazing atomsphere. There's a few nice pubs and things, and the Attic on the UKC campus, if you can get signed in, do have some live acts, and there's loads of different themed nights in the clubs and things but nothing special.

Moving to Canterbury will be much, much different. The "city" is smaller than my hometown and there's a diffferent feel between the high street and the cobbled streets of the city centre than it usually would in a city, with more countryside the further towards Whitstable and Rough Common you go. It's a nice city to live in, nothing overly expensive but nothing overly exciting either. I do enjoy it here, however.

Apparently Chill is closing down as well!! It's crazy how few clubs there are here.. I miss Studio!
Original post by iceskaty
Apparently Chill is closing down as well!! It's crazy how few clubs there are here.. I miss Studio!

I didn't hear that. I heard the company who own it are in administration but apart from that I haven't heard anything else
Canterbury is very ethnically diverse- you certainly wouldn't be a small minority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending