Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just say hi I need to ask a Q.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I know pretentious out of me but you asked! Its quite a low IQ target neway.

ReputationRep:
    I've done one of the tests before but then I noticed the £10 entry fee! Sod that for a game of soldiers.

ReputationRep:
    its a very weird system IMO. It is the top 2% of entrants to the IQ test, so it can vary wildy. I have had test results from 132-173 (?? don't know how anyone can get that) so I settle for a mean of around 148-150

ReputationRep:
    I've done one of the tests before but then I noticed the £10 entry fee! Sod that for a game of soldiers.
    thats the real IQ test right there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esquire)
    thats the real IQ test right there...
    Hehe :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm a member; qualified by taking the 'visuo-spatial' test of theirs, having narrowly missed out when I took their standard test (which contained a ridiculously overly-proportionate amount of verbally-based questions (obviously with the aim of getting more women into Mensa) and no numerically-based questions; such great an imbalance in the questioning types is shocking, for a society such as Mensa; Professor H.J. Eyesenck and Lancelot Ware would be turning in their graves). I've received umpteen monthly magazines from them, since, but have yet to actually really make use of my membership in any other way (although, casually letting slip in my UCAS personal statement, that I was a member, may have explained partly why I got accepted onto every course I applied for).

ReputationRep:
    Any online IQ tests that they accept which are free?

ReputationRep:
    I quit Mensa.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, why?

ReputationRep:
    Subscription was too much.

I kept my plaque though, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    You have to subscribe? What the feck! So basically, I could start up a "Genius Society" and rake in the money.

Anyone wanna join - £50.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well maybe it was just for their magazine and being invited to their various meetings (which I never went to).

I'm sure you have to pay a small amount to do the test, at least.

(oh someone already mentioned something about ten pounds...)

ReputationRep:
    I took the test and got invited to join but I never actually got round to it. I might be clever, but I have no organisational skills whatsoever! ^-^*

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need organisational skills?

ReputationRep:
    Also, is there a disadvantage or advantage for things such as university applications etc?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    Also, is there a disadvantage or advantage for things such as university applications etc?

Thanks.
    In theory, no; in practice, yes. Being a member of Mensa would hint strongly at academic potential, and, being as performance at university doesn't correlate perfectly with performance at A-level, Admissions Tutors at universities will realise that other factors may determine any potential candidate's future success at university; intelligence being one of these. No university would admit that a Mensa member would be at an advantage as regards gaining entry, but I'm certain that, by however much, they would be. I made sure that I 'casually' mentioned that I was a member (of course, this revelation was surrounded by my claim to like to challenge and assess myself mentally; casually, as I say).

ReputationRep:
    take 10 online IQ tests, get the mean figure, and report back wilson.

ReputationRep:
    To MENSA? Okay. Are you sure there aren't any free online tests that they recognise?

ReputationRep:
    No there are not!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.