The Student Room Group

Any other cheerleaders?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HP15
I aim to improve my snatch, clean & jerk and Overhead push press to 100KG or more.

Currently sitting at 80ish Kgs =/ but I've just started them. I do worry my flyer notices my boner when I'm close to her. She is preeeety cute.

would sex her up :biggrin:

We had no straight guys at our cheer practice :frown: LOL

At least, I don't think we did aha....the amount of times I've fallen when I've been right at the top and nearly fallen bottom first on his face, sooooooooo embarrassing.
Reply 61
Original post by Superstar6318
We had no straight guys at our cheer practice :frown: LOL

At least, I don't think we did aha....the amount of times I've fallen when I've been right at the top and nearly fallen bottom first on his face, sooooooooo embarrassing.

If people call me gay I will laugh. I can do the splits. Did so in a gym once and a fair few guys watched in amazement. As well as some ladies. :biggrin:

I find it quite easy to catch the flyers if she is going to tip over and I did have her arse in my face...almost! Not that I'd complain really. :sexface:

Me and the 2nd guy in the team (he's done it for years) did a base move for all the girls, one after the other. No problems except 1 girl who decided to curl her legs whilst she was standing up and she almost fell.

A girl base+back would just collapse but I simply held her backside and kept her up with my other hand and got her up again.
Original post by HP15
If people call me gay I will laugh. I can do the splits. Did so in a gym once and a fair few guys watched in amazement. As well as some ladies. :biggrin:

I find it quite easy to catch the flyers if she is going to tip over and I did have her arse in my face...almost! Not that I'd complain really. :sexface:

Me and the 2nd guy in the team (he's done it for years) did a base move for all the girls, one after the other. No problems except 1 girl who decided to curl her legs whilst she was standing up and she almost fell.

A girl base+back would just collapse but I simply held her backside and kept her up with my other hand and got her up again.

someones a bit of a show-off :P

although I would too, if I could actually do the splits lol
Reply 63
'Ohhh cheerleaders :coma:'

For the 5th time, couldn't resist.
Reply 64
Original post by Superstar6318
someones a bit of a show-off :P

although I would too, if I could actually do the splits lol

I dont show off, not my style.I just do it.

Reply 65
I'll do it next year at Uni. Looking forward to it :biggrin:
Original post by HP15
I dont show off, not my style.I just do it.

fair enough
what's the hardest thing you've had to do?
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Why?

We compete

We train

We lift people...

Just because we do it in skirts doesn't mean it's not a sport!

Nothing wrong with wearing skirts for sports >_>

I wouldn't mess with him :colondollar:
I dont think Id call dance a 'sport' more so a form of exercise.
Reply 69
Original post by ѕαяαн_xo
I dont think Id call dance a 'sport' more so a form of exercise.

Out of interest, why? (I'm not actually a cheerleader, but I'm interested).

It involves:
1. A great deal of physical fitness
2. A great deal of skill
3. Competition

What is it that you think is missing for it to be a sport?
I think its because sport can be defined as a 'physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively' however the majority of cheer leading squads do not compete, but motivate / encourage the spectators of the teams competing, That's my take on it.
Reply 71
Original post by Cirsium
Out of interest, why? (I'm not actually a cheerleader, but I'm interested).

It involves:
1. A great deal of physical fitness
2. A great deal of skill
3. Competition

What is it that you think is missing for it to be a sport?

There is no intrinsic competition to cheerleading, neither is their an objective and definitive scoring system.

It's not a sport, its a display of encouragement, kinda like chanting or applause.
Reply 72
official definition of sport:

1) capable of achieving an objective result
2) requiring physical exertion and/or physical skill
3) which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive
Original post by py0alb
There is no intrinsic competition to cheerleading, neither is their an objective and definitive scoring system.

It's not a sport, its a display of encouragement, kinda like chanting or applause.

Maybe it depends on how you use the sport? If you're competing then I don't see why it shouldn't be considered as a sport.

It's the same way that maybe someone going for a jog in the park isn't taking part in a sport but someone running in the marathon or at the Olympics is. It's still the same basic thing... just with different aims.
Reply 74
Original post by ѕαяαн_xo
I think its because sport can be defined as a 'physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively' however the majority of cheer leading squads do not compete, but motivate / encourage the spectators of the teams competing, That's my take on it.

Actually lots do in the UK.

Original post by py0alb

a) How is there not competion when most UK squads train purely to compete?
b) The objective is to win the competition
c) We compete at a particular level which has a set of rules determining what is and isn't allowed.
d) How is it a display of encouragement?
Original post by kiss_me_now9

The old school style of cheerleading was tits out and short skirts, it's now more about the technical Wow! of the crowd with much more complicated stunts and less focus on looking sexy and cute :yy:

:frown:
Reply 76
Original post by Emily Jane
Actually lots do in the UK.

a) How is there not competion when most UK squads train purely to compete?
b) The objective is to win the competition
c) We compete at a particular level which has a set of rules determining what is and isn't allowed.
d) How is it a display of encouragement?

You must understand the difference: it's not an intrinsically competitive activity. It is an activity that can artificially made into a competition, just like playing "who can open a tin of beans the fastest?" or "who can masturbate the most time in the next 20 minutes?". Neither of those events are sports either.

That is to say, if you only have one cheerleading squad in a competition, you are still cheerleading. If you only have one football team on the pitch, then there is no game of football. That's the difference. There is a direct interaction between the competitors that separates a sport from a competitive physical activity.

Secondly, there is no objective result. The winner is chosen by someone's opinion. Thus the result is subjective and not objective, thus NOT a true sport.

Apologies for the blatant overuse of italics.
Original post by hasan4life
no one said ooh cheerleaders so i'll start the trend oooh cheerleaders :fan:

I was wondering why it was taking you so long to comment...
Original post by py0alb

That is to say, if you only have one cheerleading squad in a competition, you are still cheerleading. If you only have one football team on the pitch, then there is no game of football. That's the difference. There is a direct interaction between the competitors that separates a sport from a competitive physical activity.

So running isn't technically a sport? I did some running recently by myself, no competition. Does that mean that running races are no longer sports? I've said it earlier, cheerleading squads regularly compete. Just because they don't have to doesn't make it less of a sport.

Secondly, there is no objective result. The winner is chosen by someone's opinion. Thus the result is subjective and not objective, thus NOT a true sport.

So gymnastics isn't a sport? Someone call the Olympic committee...
Reply 79
Original post by py0alb
You must understand the difference: it's not an intrinsically competitive activity. It is an activity that can artificially made into a competition, just like playing "who can open a tin of beans the fastest?" or "who can masturbate the most time in the next 20 minutes?". Neither of those events are sports either.

Apologies for the blatant overuse of italics.

But competitive cheerleading is just that. Competitive.

Lots of sports (including some at the Olympics) could be argued as subjective e.g. diving or gymnastics. Does that make the International Olympic Committee consider them less of a sport? Subjectivity is in objective sports too. Fouls, etc. in football are subjective because it's based on the ref seeing it and flagging it (remember the England goal at the world cup which wasn't counted by the ref despite it being shown to have crossed the line on replays)

Quick Reply

Latest