Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    at what age do you think it should be legal to have sex?

ReputationRep:

No younger. To be honest there are probably enough 16 year olds who still lack the maturity, but an age any older would be dificult to enforce, i mean you can't Id someone whose about to have sex, nor can you make them pass a test and get a licence...

ReputationRep:
    personally, 17. But it doesnt really matter because they cannot enforce it. And different people develop mentally and physically at different ages.

ReputationRep:
    That seems like a very vague question to me, cos there are all sorts of factors to do with age and sex. For example what age do young people learn about contraception and hold old are those who are sensible enough to use it. Different people feel ready to have sex at different ages and an legal age limit does not not stop them doing it undersage so some may say there should be no age limit, and some may disagree. Baiscally People do it whatever age they feel is right and most people who do it know about contraception but not all think about using it, so a higher or lower age limit is not gonna stop underage pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    I think 18.
    16; It's just too much of a young age to even be considered seriously.
    Early 20's myself, i've learnt a lot in the last few years. How you feel at 16 is nothing how you feel a few years down the line.

I sometimes feel ashamed at how you can take a girls virginity at such a tender age and never see her again. That is not nice, and that's something I certainly won't be doing again. It should be a special moment, not a 'get it out the way' moment.

ReputationRep:
    Well whatever you set the legal age at... you cant even dream of enforcing it. There may as well not be one, makes no difference.

The only reason it is useful is for cases of non-concented... but we dont really wanna go down that road.

(Original post by walshie)
    I think 18.
    Early 20's myself, i've learnt a lot in the last few years. How you feel at 16 is nothing how you feel a few years down the line.

I sometimes feel ashamed at how you can take a girls virginity at such a tender age and never see her again. That is not nice, and that's something I certainly won't be doing again. It should be a special moment, not a 'get it out the way' moment.
    Contrary to your belief, not all under 18s are like that...

ReputationRep:
    I guess the age limit (well its supposed to be legal but is never enforced) could more be seen as a moral standard. Yet seeing as todays youth has has a mjor slip in morals, theres not a great deal of point. Peoples attitudes would need to change, nowadays if a 13 year old gets pregnant, its just another kid. But years back it would have been scandelous. It doesn't have to be as harsh, but there shuld still be a stigma attached to underage sex if anyone ants to enforce the legal age of consent.

The current law can be abused by girls who want to jail the guy they just had sex with, because "under 16s are incapable of consent".

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an opinion on it, because it's both useful (in terms of courts, etc.) and useless (it's not really enforced), but when I was fifteen, I was in a situation where I was about to sleep with my then-boyfriend. I didn't really feel ready, so I didn't. Said no. I'm just wondering whether I really wasn't ready or whether the legal age thing was at the back of my mind. What would have happened if there was no legal age?

*shrugs*

If its going to be equal, why not apply the limit to males also?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should be any younger than 16 at all.
    Personally, i've only felt 'ready' to have sex at the age of 17/18, although i know it will differ between people. In fact, if i think about how much i've learnt/grown up/matured etc over the last year, i don't think i would have been old enough to have sex at 17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    I think 18.

Thats not strictly true, ok it should be a special moment but not all 16 year olds feel they have their virginity stolen, i was 16 when i lost my virginity and it was my choice, i wouldn't change what i did. I did it cos i felt ready and i really loved the guy i lost it too, ok that relationship didn't work out but i don't regret losing it to him.

ReputationRep:
    if there was no legal age than everyone would be having sex. would there be paedophilia?

(Original post by Becca L)
    if there was no legal age than everyone would be having sex. would there be paedophilia?
    I dont think the age of consent would change what already exists.

ReputationRep:
    Given that we're biologically designed to start sexually reproducing as young as 12 (on average, I think it's 9 in extreme cases), I don't think sex really has much to do with being mature enough to make a decision. Adults still make bad decisions, after all.
    Whilst I'm not advocating allowing pre teens to have sex, the argument that 16 is "too young because you're not mature enough" just doesn't hold any weight with me.

ReputationRep:
    Legally I think that 16 is fine and the legal age is only there to make the guys who get underage girls pregnant punished, because its the girls that ave to live with the consequences!

Hey it doesnt bother me everyone's their own person, who you have sex with and when is your choice its just the consequences of your actions that you have to bear in mind

ReputationRep:
    I think 18 is far too old.
    If you tell teenagers, who like to think they are grown up, that they can't have sex until they are 18 they are just going to rebel and do it anyway.
    It's bad enough at the age of 16. I mean we have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe I believe. But maybe that's not to do with the age limit but with attitudes towards sex... different matter entirely!

(Original post by veryrandom)
    I think 18 is far too old.
    If you tell teenagers, who like to think they are grown up, that they can't have sex until they are 18 they are just going to rebel and do it anyway.
    It's bad enough at the age of 16. I mean we have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe I believe. But maybe that's not to do with the age limit but with attitudes towards sex... different matter entirely!
    Its actually higher in Sweden. And worldwide we're not even in the top 10. Canada and the US top the list at over 20% each.

ReputationRep:
    I think the current age, 16 is fine. I reckon that this is about the age where people are mature enough to have sex, although noone is exactly going to enforce the age people have sex at anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.