The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Really? Why does the media constantly go on about our teenage pregnancy rate then (not trying to sound rude I actually would like the answer lol)?
Reply 21
veryrandom
Really? Why does the media constantly go on about our teenage pregnancy rate then (not trying to sound rude I actually would like the answer lol)?

Its over 10%? The media loves to whip up a frenzy because things related to sex always cause an uproar. More viewers = more advertising bucks.
sr4470
Its over 10%? The media loves to whip up a frenzy because things related to sex always cause an uproar. More viewers = more advertising bucks.

And how would that apply to the BBC? They don't use advertising.
Reply 23
pratikv
And how would that apply to the BBC? They don't use advertising.

Something has to justify the license fee...:rofl:
I've just read on the BBC now and they put 'highest in Western Europe' so Sweden would be like.. Northern Europe lol?
I think the real concern is not the age of consent, but sex education and attitudes concerning sex in the UK. As I said before.
Reply 25
veryrandom
I've just read on the BBC now and they put 'highest in Western Europe' so Sweden would be like.. Northern Europe lol?

Probably.

veryrandom
I think the real concern is not the age of consent, but sex education and attitudes concerning sex in the UK. As I said before.

I know it was poor when I went through it, but its improving.
Reply 26
sr4470
Contrary to your belief, not all under 18s are like that...

Elaborate please . . . . . . . . .
Reply 27
I think it should be 17 - you change a lot even between 16 and 17.
Reply 28
walshie
Elaborate please

People under 18 are perfectly capable of having serious relationships. So why prevent them from expressing their love in the form of sex. As has been said, different individuals mature at different rates.

Your remarks could be viewed as discriminatory against young people.
Reply 29
Age of consent has no effect on the rate of teen pregnancies - if anything there is an argument that (all other factors ignored) a higher age of consent increases the teen pregnancy rate. Clearly this is something of a fallacy, so attitudes towards sex and contraception, or some other factor, must be responsible. The only use of an age of consent law is to protect the young from the old.
Reply 30
Apagg
Age of consent has no effect on the rate of teen pregnancies - if anything there is an argument that (all other factors ignored) a higher age of consent increases the teen pregnancy rate. Clearly this is something of a fallacy, so attitudes towards sex and contraception, or some other factor, must be responsible.

Japan has a low age of consent (12, if I remember correctly). I dont recall it being anywhere near the UK's teen pregnancy rate, let alone the US\Canada.

Apagg
The only use of an age of consent law is to protect the young from the old.

So why does it only apply to females?
Reply 31
sr4470
Japan has a low age of consent (12, if I remember correctly). I dont recall it being anywhere near the UK's teen pregnancy rate, let alone the US\Canada.

So you'd agree with my point then
Some more statistics, the US has an age of consent of 18, and also has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialised world.

So why does it only apply to females?

Because they're typically viewed as the weaker sex and the more likely victims. It's also difficult for a woman to rape a boy I suppose. Without getting crude, the methods she would have to use would constitute sexual assault, I think.
I agree though that this is something of an inconsistency, but bear in mind I didn't write the laws.
Reply 32
Apagg
So you'd agree with my point then

Yes.

Apagg
Because they're typically viewed as the weaker sex and the more likely victims. It's also difficult for a woman to rape a boy I suppose. Without getting crude, the methods she would have to use would constitute sexual assault, I think.

I agree though that this is something of an inconsistency, but bear in mind I didn't write the laws.

Theyre outdated and need review.
Reply 33
sr4470
People under 18 are perfectly capable of having serious relationships. So why prevent them from expressing their love in the form of sex. As has been said, different individuals mature at different rates.

Your remarks could be viewed as discriminatory against young people.

I don't believe what I said was discriminatory, but rather opinionated in an old fashioned way.
Try having a 16 year old daughter, then state it's perfectly acceptable. You need to look at it in both lights.

I just personally feel very upset about everything at that age. I still look back very conciously, and feel deep regret. I have gained principle values in regards to this, and feel it's something that should not be taken lightly.

The question is whether a 16 year old girl can really understand the true value of what she is doing. I guess that depends on the individual, but looking at it from a nationwide perspective, I don't think so.

Whatever the outcome, nothing will ever change anyhow. 12-13 year old girls will still be getting pregnant, and council houses will be awaiting.
Reply 34
walshie
I don't believe what I said was discriminatory, but rather opinionated in an old fashioned way.
Try having a 16 year old daughter, then state it's perfectly acceptable. You need to look at it in both lights.

I just personally feel very upset about everything at that age. I still look back very conciously, and feel deep regret. I have gained principle values in regards to this, and feel it's something that should not be taken lightly.

The question is whether a 16 year old girl can really understand the true value of what she is doing. I guess that depends on the individual, but looking at it from a nationwide perspective, I don't think so.

Whatever the outcome, nothing will ever change anyhow. 12-13 year old girls will still be getting pregnant, and council houses will be awaiting.
stereotypical perhaps but potentially accurate
Reply 35
walshie

That is also true.

walshie

Unfortunately I do not have a daughter, but nonetheless, I would be giving her guidance, not making sex a taboo.

walshie

I try to avoid personal bias in such discussions. Your own experiences (and mine) will not necessarily reflect the majority.

walshie

Better education and upbringing will improve the situation, I'm not 100% sure we have progress in both of those areas.

walshie
Whatever the outcome, nothing will ever change anyhow. 12-13 year old girls will still be getting pregnant,

It is not inevitable.

walshie
and council houses will be awaiting.

Dont start that here.
Reply 36
phantom
at what age do you think it should be legal to have sex?

Your question is void.

--------------

Becca L
if there was no legal age than everyone would be having sex. would there be paedophilia?

No to the former and yes to the latter.
Reply 37
Dekota
Your question is void.

Or, in other words, its simply not possible to give a definitive answer.
Reply 38
sr4470
People under 18 are perfectly capable of having serious relationships.

How?! How younger than 18 does one have to be to have a restriction to making a serious relationship?
Reply 39
Dekota
How?! How younger than 18 does one have to be to have a restriction to making a serious relationship?

That was a response to walshie's post.

How much younger? I've known some 14 year olds who wanted serious relationships. Why should those who are capable of having one be restricted?

Latest

Trending

Trending