The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey 2012 Applicants Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloelouise_1
Imstill waiting to hear from them :frown: dont worry, you one of the lucky ones, when did you send off your UCAS xx

2-3 weeks ago I think. How about yourself? Good luck with your application! :wink:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by KingGoonIan
2-3 weeks ago I think. How about yourself? Good luck with your application! :wink:

The universities received it on the 10th of november so hopefully hear from them soon haha thankyouu :smile: x
Original post by chloelouise_1
The universities received it on the 10th of november so hopefully hear from them soon haha thankyouu :smile: x

Good Luck!

Also thought I'd let you know that they've told me they'll decide whether to make me an offer (or not) within 1 week after the interview via the post.
Offered ABB for Politics and invited to the UCAS day on the 7th Dec. If I am unable to attend does the offer still stand or is going completely necessary?
Original post by doggynelson
Offered ABB for Politics and invited to the UCAS day on the 7th Dec. If I am unable to attend does the offer still stand or is going completely necessary?

was your offer updated on track?
Reply 25
Original post by iona.carys
Applying for Dietetics :biggrin: Only just sent off my application, so just waiting right now. Really nervous! :s-smilie: Good luck to all of you :smile:

I did too, got my interview on 7th Dec :smile: Hope you get some news soon :smile:
Original post by alittlehelp
was your offer updated on track?

yes it was. Is it safe to assume they can't retract this at this stage?
Reply 27
Original post by ohhaiikim
I did too, got my interview on 7th Dec :smile: Hope you get some news soon :smile:

Thank you! I got my first acknowledgement and embarrassingly went all crazy :frown: Especially as its no big deal, I think I was just relieved they'd got my app. :colondollar:
Good luck for your interview :biggrin: Are you nervous?
Original post by doggynelson
yes it was. Is it safe to assume they can't retract this at this stage?

I think i read somewhere in the general applications that when it's on track it's final but not 100% maybe ask there?

Also, offer for Economics updated today! AAB woo! Even though they told me via letter i had a place.
Reply 29
Original post by MathsGirl
good luck everyone. surrey is beautiful and if any perspective maths students want to know anything about the course then PM me,

I applied to Surrey for Maths Bsc like 3 weeks ago but i haven't heard anything from them appart from the acknowledgment.. How u finding the degree so far ? And did u do Further Maths in A-Level because I'm only doing A-Level Maths ?
Reply 30
Original post by clau.dia
applied for international hospitality management!
Hey im thinking of applying for international hospitality managment course it looks the best hospitality course in the UK! :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by colly92
Hey im thinking of applying for international hospitality managment course it looks the best hospitality course in the UK! :biggrin:

im not 100% sure but yea, its one of the best along with oxford brookes
Original post by banu
I applied to Surrey for Maths Bsc like 3 weeks ago but i haven't heard anything from them appart from the acknowledgment.. How u finding the degree so far ? And did u do Further Maths in A-Level because I'm only doing A-Level Maths ?

I am in my final year and ive truly enjoyed every moment of it.

I did do Further Maths but all this did was give me a very slight head start in the first part of the first term as very little material was covered. If you want to do a little work over the summer i would advise having a look at first and second order differential equations particularly the integrating factor method ( i was taught this in FM i think but it definitely comes up every year here) but there are many methods for solving ODEs do have a look at some of the stuff in the FP modules. Binomial expansion is pretty simple and comes up a lot and polar co ordinates, vectors from FM (i think) the stuff that involves the foot of the perpendicular and that sort of stuff.

If you have an acknowledgement then you will shortly be asked in for an interview. This is nothing to worry about as all out lecturers are friendly. It will involve a tour of campus, lunch, a short lecture and an informal interview where they will ask you why you want to do maths, whether you want to do a placement year and a maths question which i doesnt matter if you get wrong. Then you will receive an offer within a few days. This will be exactly what it says on the website AAB (i think!) where one A must be in maths.

If you get offered a place and you accept then there will be a "calculus test" but dont be fooled this involves very little calculus and is more just very basic algebra- this is usually during the first week of term and it doesnt really matter if you dont do well in it.

Overview of what to expect form the course: 4 modules a term (we call them semesters) 3 hours per week per module so 12 timetabled hours a week plus one hour with your tutor. If you are doing straight maths you will not have any choices in your modules until second year. Usually you have 1 or 2 class tests worth a total of 25% of that module and a 75% exam at the end of the semester wither in january or june. Some modules have coursework instead but only a couple. You have to get 40% in every module to pass the year 70% gives you a first class mark (you probably already know this). You will get unassessed complusory assignments throughout the year and these are usually a couple of weeks before your class tests and usually cover the material from the test in a similar style to the test! Lecturers try their hardest to give you marks so dont complain unless you have good reason to.

If you want to know anything specific then just ask. Everyone wants to know different things . Most people tend to ask about the campus or textbook and the answers are always the same, beautiful and dont really need any. Goodluck and keep me posted
Reply 33
im not 100% sure but yea, its one of the best along with oxford brookes
Yeah i was at oxford brookes open day the university it self doesn't look that good in my opinion so im not sure will i apply to brookes but the course looks good there! Where have you appiled too? :biggrin:
Just been offerred AAB from Surrey to study English :biggrin:
I've been invited to a UCAS day on the 14th December, so I'm assuming the date is different because its a different department or something? And doggynelson I know they offer other date options if you're unable to go on the 7th!
Reply 35
Original post by colly92
Yeah i was at oxford brookes open day the university it self doesn't look that good in my opinion so im not sure will i apply to brookes but the course looks good there! Where have you appiled too? :biggrin:

just got an offer from surrey! ABB
i've applied to
oxford brookes, central lancashire, sheffield hallam and brighton

got an offer for central lancashire also.. think it was 280 points:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by CharlotteH92
Just been offerred AAB from Surrey to study English :biggrin:
I've been invited to a UCAS day on the 14th December, so I'm assuming the date is different because its a different department or something? And doggynelson I know they offer other date options if you're unable to go on the 7th!

where does it say that they invited you to the UCAS day? do you have to go if you're invited?

where does it say that they invited you to the UCAS day? do you have to go if you're invited?

I got an email through from the University with a programme of events for the day. And I'm not sure, they've listed a few different dates to choose from that go on until March 2012, so I'm assuming it's probably a good idea to go if thats where you plan to put as your first choice!
I've applied for Computer Science and I got an email from Surrey about an Interview/UCAS day yesterday! =D It's on the 14th Wednesday, I hope they won't give me any awkward questions that I can't answer very well lol
Well, hope to see some of you there :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by XtremeKinKee
I've applied for Computer Science and I got an email from Surrey about an Interview/UCAS day yesterday! =D It's on the 14th Wednesday, I hope they won't give me any awkward questions that I can't answer very well lol
Well, hope to see some of you there :smile:

hey there! I went to the UCAS day a couple of weeks ago so i'll tell you a little about it! You get put in a room at the start for an hour or so and given a talk about the courses and placement year. Then you go and have a free lunch and the restraunt which was pretty good food and then a tour of the campus and accommodation. It's really lovely if you haven't visited before. Are you international? Then you get given an interview which could be anything really. My guy asked me stuff like 'what do you think of the eurozone crisis? because i did A level economics and he asked me about how we avoid danger - through experience or evolution. He also gave me a logic question. Sounds nasty but it was alright and the department and university are great and it's nothing to be worried about! Best of luck and hope to see you next september. any more questions about the day just ask :biggrin:

Quick Reply