Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there are many potential and current law students out there, how hard and competitive is it in reality to get onto a LPC, considering the absolute of deluge of people that do law and want to be solicitors?

One of my unis that have offered me a place guarantee a place on a LPC if you get a 2:1 or above, is this a really good offer that would be really useful despite the uni not be as renowned for law?

Or if you go to a top 20 uni Uni (Oxb, notts, Dur, warwick, birm, Ucl, bris, etc etc) is it likely you will get a place over those at lower law unis (not wishing to disrespect anyone) like ones that need lower grades such as staffordshire, derby, nott trent, etc?

I know training contracts are notoriously hard to come by, even the law society openly state that, but is competition for LPC over hyped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    I know there are many potential and current law students out there, how hard and competitive is it in reality to get onto a LPC, considering the absolute of deluge of people that do law and want to be solicitors?

One of my unis that have offered me a place guarantee a place on a LPC if you get a 2:1 or above, is this a really good offer that would be really useful despite the uni not be as renowned for law?

Or if you go to a top 20 uni Uni (Oxb, notts, Dur, warwick, birm, Ucl, bris, etc etc) is it likely you will get a place over those at lower law unis (not wishing to disrespect anyone) like ones that need lower grades such as staffordshire, derby, nott trent, etc?

I know training contracts are notoriously hard to come by, even the law society openly state that, but is competition for LPC over hyped?

Its not hard to get on an LPC you are pretty much guaranteed if you get a 2.1 or above. However the cost varies greatly depending on the uni. It is very hard to get a training contract but for Sheffield for instance the stats are that over 90% complete the course with a training contract lined up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Sheffield for instance the stats are that over 90% complete the course with a training contract lined up.
    How do you manage that ?!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I read it wrong
    12. How successful are Sheffield LPC diplomates in eventually getting training contracts?

Records show that, as a rule, over 90% of our diplomates are eventually successful, with an additional small percentage who take other law- related or paralegal jobs. Persistence usually pays off.

But over 2/3 leave with a training contract which is still pretty high

9. How many graduates start the course without training contracts?

Usually, between 1/4 and 1/3 of graduates starting the LPC at Sheffield have obtained training contracts before they start the course. By the end of the course, about 2/3 of the students normally have a training contract.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/law/lpc/faq-ans.htm#ans9

ReputationRep:
    I did my cpe and am now doing my lpc. It is not hard to get onto an lpc course at all (* see caveat below) because you have to pay around 7 to 9k to do it. But as you pointed out, getting a TC is the tough part. I would really advise that you get a TC before you apply to do the LPC, because if you cant get a good TC before you do the LPC, the chances are slim of you getting a good TC afterwards.

However, if you are happy with a TC at a smaller firm, then having completed an LPC does help.

* the 8 biggest British law firms require you to do an LPC at one of three designated law schools, so it’s very tough to get into those 3 law schools unless you already have a TC lined up.

ReputationRep:
    oops I meant I didn’t have do a cpe..

Plus I didn’t mean to imply getting aTC at a smaller firm is somehow inferior. It just depends on your preference and expectations.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.