The Student Room Group

Uni Language Combinations

Today was the first day I properly looked through all the possible university options I have. Whatever happens I need to be doing German and a new language. I would prefer to keep French because I don't see why anyone would want to drop a language...what would be the point?

However I wanted to do a more unusual language such as Swedish and also Germanic would be preferable. Definately not Spanish :p: (no offence)

But to do 3 languages, the only new languages I could take would be Italian, Portuguese or Russian...what could you people tell me about these? As in, how hard are they, how do they fit with French and German, how popular are they...

Do you think it's better to do all 3 or to just do German and a language that I might be more interested in such as a Scandinavian one?

All help greatly appreciated, you're stars xxx
Reply 1
ange de la nuit
Today was the first day I properly looked through all the possible university options I have. Whatever happens I need to be doing German and a new language. I would prefer to keep French because I don't see why anyone would want to drop a language...what would be the point?

However I wanted to do a more unusual language such as Swedish and also Germanic would be preferable. Definately not Spanish :p: (no offence)

But to do 3 languages, the only new languages I could take would be Italian, Portuguese or Russian...what could you people tell me about these? As in, how hard are they, how do they fit with French and German, how popular are they...

Do you think it's better to do all 3 or to just do German and a language that I might be more interested in such as a Scandinavian one?

All help greatly appreciated, you're stars xxx

I don't know much about Portuguese, but I am going to study Russian at uni this year and have studied German a little. I think that Italian could "fit" well with French insofar as it is also a Romance language and therefore words and probably grammatical structures will be similar. However, when I tried to learn Italian I actually found the similarities confusing more than helpful. Could just be me though. :redface:

In terms of pragmatism (something you might want to consider), Russian and Portuguese are widely-spoken. Russian is quite useful these days or so I hear (seems to be gaining in popularity too.) Russian however is a little more difficult to learn bc it uses a totally different alphabet than any other language you have mentioned, but I don't see as that would be too much of a problem really.

Three languages might be tough though, but you could possibly start all three and then drop one if it doesn't seem to be working out?
I think you should just stick with German and a more unusual language that you'd be more interested in. University is probably the only chance you'll get to learn one of those languages for free, so you might as well make the most of it. It would be far easier to keep up your French in your spare time by using the materials in the language centre and possibly taking some sort of evening class than it would be to teach yourself a Scandinavian language!

If you do decide to go for 3, Italian would probably be the easiest because it's quite similar to French, but it might not be that useful since it's not that widely spoken. Portuguese and Russian would both be very useful and would make you stand out more because less people do them. I imagine Russian would be harder, but if you're up for a challenge it could be good fun :biggrin:
Definately not Spanish (no offence)

If you're so against learning spanish , surely you would be put off learning portugese. They sound only slightly different and when you know one, you can pretty much work out the other.

Italian is easy to pick up when you speak French (and/or spanish :wink:).

If you're aiming for a UN type job in the future, I would certainly think about Russian as it's one of the official languages.

Also you said you wanted something unusual, have you thought about more unusual Eastern European languages such as Croation, Czech, Slovak, Serbian (UCL have plenty of languages on offer) although when I worked at the EU Offices in Belfast, the head told me that if you get a chance go for Polish becasue there are going to be plenty of opportunities in the future.

Failing that I think job prospects for those with Mandarin etc. would be pretty good lol.
Reply 4
Personally, I'd say do whatever you're going to enjoy most. It will keep you interested therefore you will do better.
A little about Italian though: I started it ab initio at uni last year and it's SUCH an easy (and beautiful) language to learn if you already know French. The basics are fairly similar to French, the only difficulty you'll have is remembering little grammatical points, but they are easy to overcome.
Also, if you do Italian, you'll probably get some crazy Italian people teaching you, which is always fun!:biggrin:
Reply 5
Have you thought about Modern Languages at Sheffield? That would allow you to carry on French and German but start Swedish as well.
Thanks peoplle.umm...

Seren - I've just been looking there - trying to work out how far your languages actually go, or if the third one is just to pick up credits or whatever?

viciouscircle - yeah my problem is, i don't know whether i should compromise on the third language (like portuguese) when i don't really want to be doing another romance language.

You all say about Italian is easy if you do French, what if you're not overly keen on French? I really don't know what I think about the language anymore, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it, most of the time I'm not particularly keen on it :frown:

Yeah languages like Croation, Czech, Slovak, Serbian - I don't really know anything about them but they seem so appealing just because of that - they're not popular. YUM YUM :biggrin: lol Yeah, I'd heard Polish is gunna b important - how difficult are the Slavonic languages??? Compared to French and German say? I don't know anything about them.

Thanks so much everyone :biggrin: I will bear what you have said in mind :biggrin:
Reply 7
Becca
it's SUCH an easy (and beautiful) language to learn if you already know French. The basics are fairly similar to French, the only difficulty you'll have is remembering little grammatical points, but they are easy to overcome.

Not sure why I had such trouble with Italian then. :redface:

ange_de_la_nuit
yeah my problem is, i don't know whether i should compromise on the third language (like portuguese) when i don't really want to be doing another romance language.

I wouldn't suggest compromising. You say that you're not too keen on French, so if you start another language you're also not too keen on then you simply aren't going to enjoy your degree. It will be difficult to find a degree that will suit you 100% perfectly but you should try and compromise as little as possible really or else you're not going to be too happy.

I'd say doing 2 langs you would really enjoy (e.g. perhaps German and Swedish/ another Germanic lang, as you suggested) is far better than 3 you're not quite so keen on. Good luck choosing. :smile:
id also say do 2 langs - i think 3 might be a bit too much at degree level, altho i havent tried it myself so then again u mite love it!!
also u said u dont c the point in dropping a language - i did french and german to a level then dropped german and took up spanish. i absolutely love german and still keep it up, but i thought it would be worthwhile to take the opportunity of going to uni to learn a whole new language, so maybe u should consider dropping one of your languages..!!
hmm yeah i guess it's better to at least have 2 languages to degree level for sure rather than 3 almost there but not quite as good as everyone elses when you're going for a job :s-smilie: hmm dunno...thanks for all the help :biggrin: you rule x
Becca
Also, if you do Italian, you'll probably get some crazy Italian people teaching you, which is always fun!:biggrin:

Haha, my Modern Greek teacher is crazy! Gotta love Mediterraneans :biggrin:
Reply 11
Dont do Portugese if u dont like spanish ... its almoost the same
italian, spanish and portugese are in the same family really. I'd do Russian if i were you. really popular and the culture is really amazing. moscow is a fantastic place for clubbing! and also, i can just imagine studying at my dacha and eating caviar and vodka. hehe:d
Reply 12
Ludivine
Not sure why I had such trouble with Italian then. :redface:

Sometimes a language just doesn't 'click' with you. I was the same with German.
Reply 13
exactly the same with me Becca. i just didnt click with German
Reply 14
mrteacher
exactly the same with me Becca. i just didnt click with German

Cases used to confuse me, although German is a very cool language to speak, I think it's hard to speak it well.

Latest

Trending

Trending