Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerriT)
    It's seems harsh if your lower grades are in subjects totally unrelated to the degree, e.g. Maths and Science.
    Yep I love my C in maths

ReputationRep:
    I shouldn't imagine you are completely disqualified if you don't have a fantastic set of results at GCSE. I got an offer from Warwick with A*AAABBBCcDd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Someone once said to me that Exeter gave out offers that matched your predicted grades, hence the high conditions, but I reckon that was a groundless rumour. Still, it shows that people wonder why Exeter gives out such high offers. It's got an extremely well respected English course though hasn't it?
    Actually, that was true a couple of years ago when i applied... I knew two other people who had English offers from Exeter and all of our offers matched our predicted grades.

Now they just seem to give everyone AAA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Yep I love my C in maths
    I raise you a D in PE

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to disagree about Cardiff. Ok, I'm applying for History but I looked at English courses and Cardiff isn't that amazing. I sat in on talks at Leeds and St. Andrews for English and they were both excellent. For more approachable lecturers, St. Andrews wins over Edinburgh (went to an open day for English there too).
    Well it was given a 5* research rating for English. I know you can't base everything on that, but it's a good start!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, it's just that it seems that the others are better known for being really good, that's not to say Cardiff isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to disagree about Cardiff. Ok, I'm applying for History but I looked at English courses and Cardiff isn't that amazing. I sat in on talks at Leeds and St. Andrews for English and they were both excellent. For more approachable lecturers, St. Andrews wins over Edinburgh (went to an open day for English there too).
    I never looked at St Andrews, but I went to see Leeds and was completely unimpressed. Decided not to apply there even though I was struggling to pick a 6th choice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Jen~)
    Actually, that was true a couple of years ago when i applied... I knew two other people who had English offers from Exeter and all of our offers matched our predicted grades.

Now they just seem to give everyone AAA.
    When I went on an open day there they said they used to give out offers to match predicted grades, but then they had situations where loads of people accepted their offers and they were legally bound to take people with AAB or even ABB offers who made their grades, and ended up rejecting people with AAA offers who got AAB, so they decided it was fairer to make the offer AAA generally.

PS - I accepted an AAA offer from Exeter (originally AAAB) over an ABB offer from Nottingham two years ago (although that was the year I withdrew from UCAS) so I guess they're not really missing out on anything by making such high offers.

People who accept AAA offers from, say, York, over an AAA offer from Exeter would probably also accept their AAA York offer over an AAB offer from Exeter, and might then use Exeter as insurance, so I can see why Exeter are doing it. It's a gorgeous university, so a lot of people do choose it over "better" universities, despite the high offers. I chose it over Nottingham and Birmingham. A friend of mine chose Exeter over Warwick. I know someone else who chose Exeter over Durham. It's a popular uni, so I guess they can do what they like. Plus the course is very good. The reputation of the university as a whole is suffering, but just because they close down chemistry doesn't mean their English course suffers.

ReputationRep:
    If anything, it means the English course gets more funding...

ReputationRep:
    i disagree about Cardiff, too

ReputationRep:
    Cam better than Ox imo.

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting. Why?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm my personal top ten would be...

Birmingham, Cambridge, Newcastle, York, Oxford, UCL, Leicester.

Well, seven then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewing_phat)
    Hmm my personal top ten would be...

Birmingham, Cambridge, Newcastle, York, Oxford, UCL, Leicester.

Well, seven then.
    That's even more interesting. What's your reasoning?

At the moment I'm guessing the six you applied to plus t'other Oxbridge. But I could be way off the mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    That's even more interesting. What's your reasoning?

At the moment I'm guessing the six you applied to plus t'other Oxbridge. But I could be way off the mark.
    The courses are interesting (esp. Birmingham, Leicester and Newcastle) and each has something a little unique about them

I applied to Cambridge, York, Birmingham, Newcastle and Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewing_phat)
    The courses are interesting (esp. Birmingham, Leicester and Newcastle) and each has something a little unique about them

I applied to Cambridge, York, Birmingham, Newcastle and Leicester.
    So I was kind of right then...

Based on your reasoning, I'm going to change my top ten to Oxbridge, UCL, Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter, Warwick, York, Edinburgh and Birmingham.

Oxbridge just because, although I didn't want to go there. UCL because it's great, although I didn't want to live in London. Edinburgh because it looks amazing, although I didn't want to be that far away. And the others are my favourites out of the universities I applied to (over two years).

I had the grades to apply to any university, so I applied to the ones I liked the best. Originally I just listed unis for general reputation for English, but seeing as it's completely subjective, this list and your list are really no less valid.

PS - go to Birmingham, it's awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Although one of my best friends is doing English at Leicester and she loves it. I haven't seen it though.

ReputationRep:
    Decisions indeed

ReputationRep:
    birmingham is very cool.

ReputationRep:
    The places i applied to plus Warwick, Sheffield, Cambridge, Edinburgh (the others on my shortlist ). That's just my completely subjective view lol.

When i went to a personal statement talk at Exeter open day, the guy there said that they made the offer AAA because they were getting more and more good applicants. However, he also said that if you're predicted 3 A's, unless you're PS is dreadful, they'll make you an offer. If you're predicted AAB, they'll look at your PS more carefully :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2010

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.