Turn on thread page Beta

Top 10 Universities for English watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs Rickman)
    The places i applied to plus Warwick, Sheffield, Cambridge, Edinburgh (the others on my shortlist ). That's just my completely subjective view lol.

When i went to a personal statement talk at Exeter open day, the guy there said that they made the offer AAA because they were getting more and more good applicants. However, he also said that if you're predicted 3 A's, unless you're PS is dreadful, they'll make you an offer. If you're predicted AAB, they'll look at your PS more carefully :eek:
    Really? That's shocking....

Loads of people are predicted AAA because the person writing their reference lied, whilst other people are predicted lower when they'll probably get AAA because the person writing their reference was mean. They may be getting a lot of good quality applicants, but if they're making offers to all applicants with AAA predictions, they can't be nearly as oversubscribed as other places.

That said, I still think it's a lovely uni and a great course. But I'm surprised they would say something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know who it was that said that? Could just be someone incompetent, or ill-phrasing...

ReputationRep:
    The places i applied to plus Warwick, Sheffield, Cambridge, Edinburgh (the others on my shortlist ). That's just my completely subjective view lol.

When i went to a personal statement talk at Exeter open day, the guy there said that they made the offer AAA because they were getting more and more good applicants. However, he also said that if you're predicted 3 A's, unless you're PS is dreadful, they'll make you an offer. If you're predicted AAB, they'll look at your PS more carefully :eek:

my PS was really good, and i also got 3 A's at AS, so was obviously predicted 3 A's for A2. so they must have just hated my crazy foreign last name, or something ^o), because they rejected me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know - it was just one guy. I can't remember which subject he was admissions tutor for. He said that they had one applicant last year who was really boastful and stuff in his PS and very nearly missed being made an offer, but he had an AAA prediction so he got one. He might not have been an admissions tutor this year, or may not have been one for English (i really can't remember...it might've been history).

ReputationRep:
    I don't know - it was just one guy. I can't remember which subject he was admissions tutor for. He said that they had one applicant last year who was really boastful and stuff in his PS and very nearly missed being made an offer, but he had an AAA prediction so he got one. He might not have been an admissions tutor this year, or may not have been one for English (i really can't remember...it might've been history).
    sounds like even if my PS wasn't as good as i think it was, i should have got in, because i had the AAA predication, and the AAA at AS to back it up! (i'm just bitter about getting rejected from two and probably soon to be three unis...)

ReputationRep:
    That GCSE stuff seems rather unfair, it's got a lot to do with your school too. I obly got 4A*s but I actually got the second highest results in the whole year so you know. Grrr!

And don't knock St Andrews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    That's interesting. Why?
    Probly just my college, but the teaching I've had for one or two papers had been substandard. In a class of 6-7 at the moment for Paper 1!

ReputationRep:
    Top 10 for English, hmm, in no particular order:

Oxford, Cambridge, York, Durham, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Edinburgh, Bristol, St. Andrews

ReputationRep:
    Looking at individual prospectuses and course syllabuses- I feel that Birmingham offers the best English course as well as some fantastic resources- including access to the Shakespeare institute!
    Oxbridge are overrated- having been there at open days and for interview I felt that it didn't offer much extra than other courses. Except maybe for older English lit.
    It's just my opinion....
    Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that I've got a B'ham offer and Oxford rejection (lol!)

ReputationRep:
    birmingham has the best collection of victorian periodicals in the country. i couldn't rate it as a university because i'm here now, and my enthusiasm for the subject and course, and general happiness here, would undoubtably be a subjective bias. so all i can say really is that i'm not disappointed here and enjoy it very much.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many good unis for English. I think we can place the Russell Group (i.e Red Bricks), London and Oxbridge at the top. I thinkthere is far too much focus on the hierarchy of individual universities than on the student themselves. For example, a friend of mine declined his Oxford offer to go to York. Although York may lack the international reputation of oxford (is it still deserved today?) he felt the course was much better and that he would be happier there. Likewise, if I get an offer for KCL I plan to decline my offer from University College Durham, which some people seem to think is madness. I don't think an employer would turn around to me and go 'well Durham has a better reputation....' etc.

One more thing, if you look at the league tables the universities which everyone assumes to be so great at English, like Durham and Oxbridge, are actually not that far ahead (and sometimes even below) other universities. There's a great dichotomy in what people assume to be a good uni for English based on reputation, tradition etc and what educational authorities have found to be the best. I know that in the Times league tables KCL tops Oxford and that in The Guardian (I think) York comes above Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishDude)
    Looking at individual prospectuses and course syllabuses- I feel that Birmingham offers the best English course as well as some fantastic resources- including access to the Shakespeare institute!
    Oxbridge are overrated- having been there at open days and for interview I felt that it didn't offer much extra than other courses. Except maybe for older English lit.
    It's just my opinion....
    Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that I've got a B'ham offer and Oxford rejection (lol!)
    I have to agree here.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is high up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airport Fairy)
    I never looked at St Andrews, but I went to see Leeds and was completely unimpressed. Decided not to apply there even though I was struggling to pick a 6th choice...
    Really? How come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Really? How come?
    I went on an open day which was quite badly organised. The different talks and presentations all seemed to clash in stupid ways and were at completely opposite ends of the university, in inadequate venues. The talk by the English department was dull and uninspiring. None of the student helpers seemed to know what they were doing, especially when it came to giving information about accommodation (they didn't know anything) and all they talked about was the night life.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God...that makes me feel fantastic about the prospect of most likely being forced to go there (if I receive no more offers.)
    And yeah, they seem to thrive off the fact that they have a decent nightlife but I come from Manchester and at the risk of sounding too boastful, the nightlife here cannot really be matched in the North so it's no biggy for me.
    Meh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm always dubious of unis that sell their nightlife so much, makes you wonder what they're trying to cover up lol. Although, was quite funny at Durham open day them ardently trying to claim that Durhamites have a great nightlife, and their use of Newcastle was hilarious 'its only 20 minutes away, come come come to Durham'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonSteve181)
    I'm always dubious of unis that sell their nightlife so much, makes you wonder what they're trying to cover up lol. Although, was quite funny at Durham open day them ardently trying to claim that Durhamites have a great nightlife, and their use of Newcastle was hilarious 'its only 20 minutes away, come come come to Durham'.
    haha yeah I remember that when I went to the Open Day - the nice guy with the puffy hair went on about Newcastle's nightlife for so long I started wondering if I was in the right university :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, which open day did you go to? I went to the overnight one in January. Stayed overnight and went to this nice little bar called 'Jimmy Allen's', they were all so hyped about it even though it was like 15 m square. I was like 'hmm, I come from London, I'm in a culture shock here'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airport Fairy)
    Wow....

No offence, but I can think of a lot of universities better at English than Leeds. And St Andrews is nothing special.

I'd say Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Bristol, Warwick, York, Durham, Nottingham, Cardiff and Edinburgh....and you can all squabble about the order!
    I'd agree with you ..except Nottingham wouldn't feature in top ten

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2010

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.