Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonSteve181)
    Ooh, which open day did you go to? I went to the overnight one in January. Stayed overnight and went to this nice little bar called 'Jimmy Allen's', they were all so hyped about it even though it was like 15 m square. I was like 'hmm, I come from London, I'm in a culture shock here'.
    Mine wasn't overnight - guessing yours was one for people holding offers? Mine was one of the pre-application ones. Glad to see they're being consistent and sticking with their Newcastle line

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is at uni in Durham and he's going out to Newcastle once every two weeks because he misses decent nightlife so much. Jimmy Allens is an ok venue, they get excited about it because of the deal on triples.

For what i want out of an English degree i would have Nottingham in the top ten, but that's why i chose to apply. xx

ReputationRep:
    My open day was the post-applicant offer one yea. Did you apply for Castle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonSteve181)
    My open day was the post-applicant offer one yea. Did you apply for Castle?
    No, St Mary's - I'm still on the department stage at the moment! Am probably withdrawing my application from Durham and York later though, meaning I'm just waiting for Edinburgh. I never visited Castle :eek: From what people have said, I'm guessing I would've ended up applying there if I had though...

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, King's, Bristol, Warwick, York, Edinburgh, Durham, Nottingham - I'd say..

ReputationRep:
    What are the best unis for English Lang and Lit combo if you're predicted AAB-ABB?

I'm looking at York, Liverpool, Edingburgh and Leeds atm, but has anyone got any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I should warn you that York, Edinburgh and possibly Leeds are extremely competitive and lots of people predicted AAA+ get rejected from the first two. Edinburgh especially should be handled with care as you're not Scottish or International and so aren't in an advantageous position to begin with. They say they have low entry grades but in reality look for top applicants. Don't let that put you off applying to them, but do keep it in mind.
    I'd recommend a couple of the London ones like QMUL, Royal Holloway and Goldsmiths which are good unis with the UoL umbrella. Possibly Exeter (they sometimes offer AAB), Leicester and Glasgow as they're good unis with good courses and lower entry requirements. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Accepted to Warwick and York among a couple of other graduate English programs. From the US, attended Yale for undergraduate degree. Tough decision to make. Courses offered at Warwick not very attractive, interested in Modern/Contemporary Lit, focus on poetry. Any information/suggestions? Particularly from those from the UK.

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by undecidedus08)
    Accepted to Warwick and York among a couple of other graduate English programs. From the US, attended Yale for undergraduate degree. Tough decision to make. Courses offered at Warwick not very attractive, interested in Modern/Contemporary Lit, focus on poetry. Any information/suggestions? Particularly from those from the UK.

Thanks
    You'd be better off posting in the postgrad forum. The majority of people who read this forum are undergraduates and undergraduate applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Come on folks. If we're honest, there is absolutely no way that any of us are in a position to decide upon a 'Top 10'. It's like making a 'Top 10' film list without watching the majority of the films. And likewise, nobody can judge a three-year course by an open afternoon. Most universities hold poor open days -- weird English lecturers, for example, aren't always the best people to give bullet-point induction talks. Get them going on a literary text, though, and they'll turn into a new person. No worthy critic judges a film by its trailer, do they?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Nicholas Urfe)
    Come on folks. If we're honest, there is absolutely no way that any of us are in a position to decide upon a 'Top 10'. It's like making a 'Top 10' film list without watching the majority of the films. And likewise, nobody can judge a three-year course by an open afternoon. Most universities hold poor open days -- weird English lecturers, for example, aren't always the best people to give bullet-point induction talks. Get them going on a literary text, though, and they'll turn into a new person. No worthy critic judges a film by its trailer, do they?
    Actually, if you want to stay within that comparison, even if he had seen all the films, our imaginary film critic's top 10 lists wouldn't be absolute, because the criteria by which he'd decide whether a film was a "top 10" film wouldn't necessarily be identical to the next person's.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people's top 20 unis for English would be fairly similar... Nobody would say Oxford is on the same level as former polys...
    No comparison is absolute but as most people look for a similar thing in unis people's opinions tend to fall in a similar way.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Reblet)
    I think most people's top 20 unis for English would be fairly similar... Nobody would say Oxford is on the same level as former polys...
    No comparison is absolute but as most people look for a similar thing in unis people's opinions tend to fall in a similar way.
    Do they, though? I wouldn't be so sure about that.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at where most of us have applied... yes...

Ignoring the modern/older uni debate if you ask people to name the "top ten unis for English" you'll get 20-25 names constantly cropping up so I'd say there's more similarity than we'd like to admit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Reblet)
    Ignoring the modern/older uni debate if you ask people to name the "top ten unis for English" you'll get 20-25 names constantly cropping up so I'd say there's more similarity than we'd like to admit.
    Hmm, I suppose we can ignore the old vs modern debate here, but I don't think we can really ignore the "reputation" debate, which is a bit self-perpetuating, really. Don't you think the similarities are at least partly due to the fact that those lists aren't really people's personal lists but lists which are heavily influenced by league tables and perceptions of the "prestige"/"quality" they reflect?
    How many people seriously spend a reasonable amount of time reflecting on what they personally want from a course (as opposed to what they believe they should want from it) and then research courses at two or three dozen universities in depth to see whether they fulfil those criteria? Maybe I'm being a little unjust here, but I find it a little hard to believe that for a subject like English, which is offered by nearly every university in the country, people actually base their opinions of universities and courses purely on their own personal research as to what would suit them best.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    People unfortunately don't do that. But the issue is "top ten unis". If everyone did the course at the uni best for them then there would be no need for rankings. BUT working within the framework set "top ten unis" going by the factors people think they want, then you are stuck with the same haul really. The very idea of having a top ten is a nonsense concept but hey-ho!

Although part of me thinks I'd have liked almost any English course... But I do like Durham's even though I got a bit confused when I first looked at it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i would say Leeds would be up there, its rated pretty high in the league tables. Personally i was not impressed with Birmingham's English department at all, despite falling in love with the campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Jen~)
    Yes.

It doesn't seem very clever of them - I mean, Exeter is great for English but not that great. I mean, how many people would choose an AAA offer from Exeter over an AAA from York/ Durham, or an AAB from Warwick?? I know they're probably fed up of everyone using them as an insurance choice but this way they're just losing out on loads of really good applicants :confused:
    I did I chose Exeter over York for a number of reasons...

ReputationRep:
    I preferred Exeter's campus but York's course. But I liked Durham for both so chose that haha.

ReputationRep:
    For me it was both the campus and the course. I love the thematic style of modules offered at Exeter and the campus and town look lovely

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2010

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.