Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it not double standards that when a whole bunch of people hit the roof over a dozen people in Utah having to go an extra mile, the forum over here has to have a massive debate on it, but when 1.3billion people can't see it anywhere in the country no-one even makes a peep? It should be just as big and issue, people should complain just as much. Why victimise and find faults in the better countries and give a free-pass to the worst BECAUSE they're the worst?

ReputationRep:
    My outrage about countries that are more extreme is a given.

Also, no-one seems to disagree about it in this case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lone Fox)
    Why victimise and find faults in the better countries and give a free-pass to the worst BECAUSE they're the worst?
    Exhibiting a lack of surprise and giving a free pass are not the same thing.

As has already been stated, it's hardly quelle surprise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowkin)
    I think this post sums it up.

While lone fox gets up on his high horse and starts blaming anti-american sentiment, it's obvious why people are more shocked/annoyed/surprised about america banning a film.
    i) America hasnt banned a film. Since this has been made clear a hundred times already, I can only assume that repeating such a claim is either a) idiocy b) laziness c) or anti-americanism.

ii) Would you complain less if America was less free?

freedom of speech and all of those other empty phrases
    Freedom of speech = empty phrase? This doesnt have any meaning to you?

that the US seem to think they hold authority over.
    Ah, the classic "they claim to be..." remark. Do tell me who has claimed such authority?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lone Fox)
    Is it not double standards that when a whole bunch of people hit the roof over a dozen people in Utah having to go an extra mile, the forum over here has to have a massive debate on it, but when 1.3billion people can't see it anywhere in the country no-one even makes a peep? It should be just as big and issue, people should complain just as much. Why victimise and find faults in the better countries and give a free-pass to the worst BECAUSE they're the worst?
    Not to sidetrack things, but look at the BBC's coverage of the death penalty. The BBC is completely obsessed with the DP in the US. The BBC did almost 30 stories on the DP in America last year, but only 2 articles on the DP in China. The Chinese executed over fifty times more people but we get 15 times the coverage.

(Original post by shadowkin)
    I think this post sums it up.

While lone fox gets up on his high horse and starts blaming anti-american sentiment, it's obvious why people are more shocked/annoyed/surprised about america banning a film.

freedom of speech and all of those other empty phrases that the US seem to think they hold authority over.
    It's not "America banning a film". It was one theater owner who has the freedom to show whatever film he chooses. Miller's theater is .00003% of the number of screens in the USA showing movies at any given moment. This may be the biggest non story of the year. What next, the BBC doing a story on what I had for breakfast this morning?

ReputationRep:
    haha. owned.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.