The Student Room Group

Are you a THEORY person or a PRACTICE person?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Judgey
Both. I like to evenly distribute theory and practice, because too much of either can be overbearing and stressful/dull. I'm constantly on theory for my course (*sigh* Film Studies) and it's boooooooooring.

What's the theory in film studies? Stuff like critical theory where you use continental philosophy, sociology and hermeneutics to analyse films? Stuff like that?
Reply 21
Practical OH WAIT I DO MATHS.
Reply 22
Original post by Bobifier
Practical OH WAIT I DO MATHS.

are you going into pure or applied :biggrin:
Reply 23
In my subject I'm mostly doing language learning and the only way to do that effectively is practise. Although I do really enjoy linguistics, which I guess is the theoretical side of language? In life, I've always been a theory person.
I'm doing Adult Nursing and the course is 50% Theory & 50% Practise and altough I like both I have to say I enjoy PRACTISE and being in placement the most
I do Psychology and I prefer theory to practice. I've got to do both, but theories have always interested me more than actually conducting experiments.
Original post by Summering
Regarding your subject, are you more of a theory person or more of a practice person? For instance...

If you do law, do you enjoy learning about theory and jurisprudence, or do you find application to cases and actual legal work more interesting?

Definitely the theoretical side. I had assumed I wasn't alone on that; talking about the law is so much more interesting than learning what it is. Unfortunately, the latter is a prerequisite for the former.
Theory, mainly because nearly everytime i put something into practice in my subjects (personal research, projects, experiments etc) it goes tits up - something always has to go wrong :rolleyes:. The upside is that when practicals do actually go well, it can be immensely enjoyable and satisying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending