The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Second Year Accommodation

So my group of 5 have been looking at houses for next year, we're not too fussed about location (going to have to get a bus pass anyway so as long as there's a corner shop we don't mind being far from town). We've mainly looked at Yellow Door lets and are going to arrange some viewings but we're a bit concerned about the half-rent over summer...that would be £182 a month whilst we're not there....

Has anyone done this? Who else would you reccommend?

We've looked at a few smaller companies but none seem to be as well established. We were also considering Chancellors Wharf but it seems a bit of a gamble because they get back to you with an offer/waiting list in January, so by that time all the nice houses will be gone if we don't get a place on CW.

Any ideas?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by eve1293
So my group of 5 have been looking at houses for next year, we're not too fussed about location (going to have to get a bus pass anyway so as long as there's a corner shop we don't mind being far from town). We've mainly looked at Yellow Door lets and are going to arrange some viewings but we're a bit concerned about the half-rent over summer...that would be £182 a month whilst we're not there....

Has anyone done this? Who else would you reccommend?

We've looked at a few smaller companies but none seem to be as well established. We were also considering Chancellors Wharf but it seems a bit of a gamble because they get back to you with an offer/waiting list in January, so by that time all the nice houses will be gone if we don't get a place on CW.

Any ideas?

I went with Yellow Door and they're really not bad. I think summer rent last year was just over £400 or something like that. It's actually alright to have a house in Lancaster over summer. You can come back and work at the open days or get a job in the city. I know people (myself included) who moved in over summer so I could work, so it's definitely worth it.

As for areas, places past the train station and by Greaves are quite nice. There's been some trouble around the Dale Street area recently which has a heavy student population, but that's the only thing I've heard about. It doesn't really matter where in Lancaster you are, you're close to everything and you can always use your bus pass Monday-Sunday on any bus bar night buses (I think, I haven't tried other buses), so during winter you don't get too cold walking across town!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Keegan
I went with Yellow Door and they're really not bad. I think summer rent last year was just over £400 or something like that. It's actually alright to have a house in Lancaster over summer. You can come back and work at the open days or get a job in the city. I know people (myself included) who moved in over summer so I could work, so it's definitely worth it.

As for areas, places past the train station and by Greaves are quite nice. There's been some trouble around the Dale Street area recently which has a heavy student population, but that's the only thing I've heard about. It doesn't really matter where in Lancaster you are, you're close to everything and you can always use your bus pass Monday-Sunday on any bus bar night buses (I think, I haven't tried other buses), so during winter you don't get too cold walking across town!

We were looking at Bowerham?
Reply 3
Is it possible to have people from different colleges living together on campus? There are about 5 of us who want to live together, especially since we are on the same 4-year, study-abroad degrees. Is this possible? Or do we need to move off campus?

Reply 4
Original post by Oldham123
Is it possible to have people from different colleges living together on campus? There are about 5 of us who want to live together, especially since we are on the same 4-year, study-abroad degrees. Is this possible? Or do we need to move off campus?

You'd need to move off campus, unfortunately.
Reply 5
Original post by Oldham123

Move off campus. Alternatively move into the same college, but that's just more hassle.

And eve1293, haven't heard anything bad about Bowerham. Some of the LUSU houses I saw there were rank though, but I know a few people living there and they don't mind it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
http://www.studenthousinglancaster.co.uk/ are generally a bit cheaper than yellow doors, as it's more an advertising service for private landlords. I found my current house with them, and whilst it's half the world away from uni, it's cheap. :smile: We don't have anything to do with the agency at all too, it's all with our Landlady, which hasn't worked out too bad.

Edit: Bowerham's nice enough - that's where I'm sort of looking at for next year. Right side of Lancaster too! :tongue:
Hello,

I was just wondering whether it was possible for a Cartmel student to apply to live in the campus townhouses bearing in mind that they are part of Grizedale and County colleges.

I am a first year Cartmel student interested in living with four other girls next year, but I've been told that you can only apply to live with a maximum of three other people. Is this the case? And if so, are the townhouses a feasible option for me?

Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by pinkpoisonlemons
Hello,

I was just wondering whether it was possible for a Cartmel student to apply to live in the campus townhouses bearing in mind that they are part of Grizedale and County colleges.
No. Almost without exception, they don't let you change colleges easily.

I am a first year Cartmel student interested in living with four other girls next year, but I've been told that you can only apply to live with a maximum of three other people. Is this the case?
Not in Furness, but I dunno, maybe every college does it differently? (Actually, Cartmel are mixed years in flats right? So maybe that is right...)

And if so, are the townhouses a feasible option for me?

Thanks!

Answered up there but TSR wouldn't let me post without adding anything. :frown:
Original post by pinkpoisonlemons
Hello,

I am a first year Cartmel student interested in living with four other girls next year, but I've been told that you can only apply to live with a maximum of three other people. Is this the case? And if so, are the townhouses a feasible option for me?

Thanks!

I can't speak for Cartmel as I'm Fylde, but our accommodation office have included this in their email:
'In Fylde College Groups Superior En Suite rooms groups exceeding 4 will be split in two and placed in adjacent flats, you can chose at a later stage which students will be living in a flat together. '
I can only imagine its because some second years cheating the system and applying with 7 third years who were on-campus priority when you could have groups of up to 6 or the full 8 - they wouldn't put one unknown person with a group of 7 friends. I have a second year friend who got on campus this way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending