Turn on thread page Beta

2:1 - What does that mean? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody

As an international student I've never heard what is 2:1
    Moreover, the tsr search engine doesn't work if we put less than four words, that's why i post this thread.

Thank UUUUUUUU :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    2:1 is the second highest grade you get at Uni for a degree, and is regarded as good.

The grading system is roughly as follows:

1st (over 70%)
    2:1 (60-69%)
    2:2 (50-59%)
    3rd (40-49%)
    Pass(35-39%)

Hope that this clears it up.

ReputationRep:
    It is a grade of degree.

The highest classification is a First. (1:1)

The second highest classification is a 2:1

The third highest classification is a 2:2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimicracrate)
    Hello everybody

As an international student I've never heard what is 2:1
    Moreover, the tsr search engine doesn't work if we put less than four words, that's why i post this thread.

Thank UUUUUUUU :rolleyes:
    To my knowledge all UK university utilize this distinct grading system. Within this system marks are divided into bands or scales known as a 1st, 2.1 (upper second class), 2.2 (lower second class), Third or a pass. In effect a 2.1 is equivalent to a B grade in an alphabetical grading system or in terms of percentage between 60-69%.

ReputationRep:
    out of interest, why does it go 1, 2:1, 2:2, 3 ?

why not 1, 2, 3, 4?

Is it because 2:1 and 2:2 are quite small boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    do all the uni's have the same worth in degrees tho?

ReputationRep:
    Originally the classifications were split into 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then they realised that there's a big difference between a high 2nd and a low 2nd. So the introduction of the 2:1 and 2:2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellielli)
    The way I see it, the type of lecturer determines the class of your degree as opposed to where you go.

What I mean is, if you have Professors and Doctors from all over in terms of where they were educated then it doesn't matter where they teach, what matters is their own attitude to marking etc.

I think the differences in institutions is the workload. Not actually the quality of the teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellielli)
    Hell no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wrangler)
    Hell no.
    universities are ranked in leagues the value of a pass from Oxbridge is worth more than a first from the very lowest ranked unis

ReputationRep:
    There is no real way of telling how valuable a degree is, league tables are useless. What matters is how much employees respect them.

ReputationRep:
    So how does grading work in uni's around the world? Do they have an alphabetical grading system A-E or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh there are differences in quality of degrees from different places, as a 2.2 from oxbridge/lse would be better than a 2.1 from manchester met/coventry uni etc. There may also be differences in general between courses as some being harder than others. Also when i speak to people at other unis like Manc Met, they seem to find it easier to get a 2.1 w/o doing much work, whereas to get a 2.1 at notts business sch takes alot of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Yeh there are differences in quality of degrees from different places, as a 2.2 from oxbridge/lse would be better than a 2.1 from manchester met/coventry uni etc. There may also be differences in general between courses as some being harder than others. Also when i speak to people at other unis like Manc Met, they seem to find it easier to get a 2.1 w/o doing much work, whereas to get a 2.1 at notts business sch takes alot of work.
    I agree with this. It is far harder to get a 2.1 or above at a top 20 institution. You could get a 2.1/first at the ex-polys with your eyes shut.

ReputationRep:
    How does the workload differ between top 20 institutions and most ex-polytechnics? On an English degree, for example, how much work, in terms of number of essays/hours, would you need to put in at each kind of institution to get a 2.1?

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it exactly to get a 1st? If you really like the subject your doing, why can't you achieve 70% all the time?

Is it the average mark 70% = 1st or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    I agree with this. It is far harder to get a 2.1 or above at a top 20 institution. You could get a 2.1/first at the ex-polys with your eyes shut.
    I personally think you're talking out of your arse mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    I personally think you're talking out of your arse mate.
    why go to an ex-poly do we :rolleyes: But no its a fact, everyone says so.

ReputationRep:
    It is far harder to get a 2:1 or above at a top institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    How hard is it exactly to get a 1st?
    It depends how good you are at your subject...

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.