Turn on thread page Beta

Careers in Civil Aviation Piloting watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well I originally wanted to be a translator but I have recently changed my mind. I now really really want to go into civil aviation piloting. At the moment I'm studying A2 Maths, Physics, French and Spanish, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I heard from somebody that most civil aviation pilots are in fact older military trained pilots, and that this route is the best way of going around it. I don't really want to enter a military air force so if there is any other way then great! If I wanted to be a pilot, is there a degree which would be most suitable or is there any different training?

I have already looked on google for this but without much luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you arnt interested in military flying (any reason if you mind me asking?) then what you will need to do really is obtain your PPL/ATPL. You will be looking to have to pay for this yourself, as airline sponsorship is pretty much a thing of the past (Last time BA done this was early 2001)

Easyjet are doing sponsorship but they require you to arrange a £60,000 bank bond to act as a deposit (scary eh!)

It is worth reading that to see what easyjet offer in regard to starting out as an Airline pilot

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Jobs/Pilot...hipscheme.html

There are a number of ex military pilots flying comercial air liners but they do end up usually working with the larger liners such as BA or Virgin who require on or around 40,000 hours or so flying hours before they allow you to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    If you arnt interested in military flying (any reason if you mind me asking?) then what you will need to do really is obtain your PPL/ATPL. You will be looking to have to pay for this yourself, as airline sponsorship is pretty much a thing of the past (Last time BA done this was early 2001)

Easyjet are doing sponsorship but they require you to arrange a £60,000 bank bond to act as a deposit (scary eh!)

It is worth reading that to see what easyjet offer in regard to starting out as an Airline pilot

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Jobs/Pilot...hipscheme.html

There are a number of ex military pilots flying comercial air liners but they do end up usually working with the larger liners such as BA or Virgin who require on or around 40,000 hours or so flying hours before they allow you to apply.
    Thankyou for this reply. £60,000 is a hell of a lot of money, lol.

I would love the opportunity to fly military aircraft, but would hate to be in military combat, and I'm not sure I like the 6 week intense initial training required to join the RAF. But yeah as you say I believe most 747 captains for the larger airlines are old military pilots. I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i'd ditch the uni idea if you want to get into this career. Yes for the very few sponsorship options around, some want a degree etc, but think about it. Your going to pay god knows how much at uni, to follow it with 60 - 70 thousand pounds for this career. You don't need a degree to get into it. Plus if you don't go to uni, you are going to be 3 - 4 years younger, which to me would seem more employable - longer return of service etc.

As for most of the captains being ex military, remember they will have done god knows how much service flying. You could do the same in civi street and equally be a captain of something big. Infact i know a training captain for a major airline. Earns mega money. Never even contemplated joining up.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    I believe that being a pilot certainly must be one of the most rewarding jobs, since you get to do something important and fun (flying on autopilot for the most. I reckon that it would be good to focus on larger, long-haul airliners as the pilots (wild guess) earn more and get to visit far-away locations. Undoubtedly there must also be a greater demand for pilots licensed to fly large airplanes, taking into mind the new huge Airbus and Boeing. Flying over Africa at sunrise is indeed spectacular...

Have a look here www.sasflightacademy.com not in England, but in La Suède.
    And then you get to enjoy these fabulous temperatures in Stockholm.

Celsius Fahrenheit
    JAN -7° - +2°C +27° F
    APR +2° - +10°C +40° F
    JUL +16° - +26°C +63° F
    OCT +5° - -15° C +46° F

And then you've got pretty nice prospects on bonding with a delightful blonde...

ReputationRep:
    Gemma seeing as you have maths and physics as A2 subjects that are vavoured by the RAF you could apply for a university scolarship and spend 5 years in the RAF then move onto Civil Aviation Piloting which is what im planning to do.

ReputationRep:
    I too had this dream of being a pilot, but I recently ditched the idea for many reasons which I rather not say.

Anyhow I think many airlines will take pilots without prior flight experience in the air force, although that would be an added bonus.

I know some universities offer a degree in civil aviation.. just check up UCAS track on that. If you know that's what you really want to do, then go for it. Although personally I'd get a concrete degree in an area such as law (or whatever else deemed "traditional), and concurrently do a PPL. Accumulate flying hours while studying in university, and apply for a career as a pilot once you graduate.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chalder)
    Gemma seeing as you have maths and physics as A2 subjects that are vavoured by the RAF you could apply for a university scolarship and spend 5 years in the RAF then move onto Civil Aviation Piloting which is what im planning to do.
    5 years doing what sorry? if its flying, i thought the time was 12 years before they will let you out...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/pem/aviation/

You could take a normal degree. I think this made the news a few years as the first of it's kind.
    Don't forget that the RAF fly tankers and cargo planes around the world...

ReputationRep:
    Try Lufthansa in Germany...a friend of mine is in their pilot training program (he is currently in Arizona USA for practical training); he says their program kicks ass

ReputationRep:
    I spent a while looking into becoming a pilot and sorry to say it but you have a pretty big challenge ahead of you!! The industry is flooded at the moment with a lot more pilots with relatively little experience than jobs available. This means theres gonna be a lot of competition for each job. As well as RAF and sponsored schemes (Thomas Cook i think do the same scheme), you'll probably have to look at flying schools. Oxford Aviation Training claims to have pretty big links with major airlines such as BA and Easyjet. You have to pay out the £60,000 like with Easyjet but you wont get this back.

(Original post by painful wit)
    I reckon that it would be good to focus on larger, long-haul airliners as the pilots (wild guess) earn more and get to visit far-away locations. Undoubtedly there must also be a greater demand for pilots licensed to fly large airplanes, taking into mind the new huge Airbus and Boeing. Flying over Africa at sunrise is indeed spectacular...
    I really dont think this is right - you need to start off small, doing internal and european flights on the smaller planes like the 737 or A320,then work up experience before you train for a bigger plane.

For all the information youll ever need, try looking at PPRUNE (professional pilots rumour network) http://www.pprune.org/

Most of all, good luck with it!! It serious is a good career - my uncle flies jumbos and says hes the only person he knows who enjoys his job!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2006
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.