The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Nights out in Durham

Hey everyone, I realise this has probably been asked before but I really must know.. If I get an offer from Durham I probably will make that my 1st choice given the university's reputation etc. I've been to see Durham and liked it a lot but I'm unsure about the nightlife. I realise there are only about 4 nightclubs in Durham and I wouldn't be too bothered about going to the same clubs as long as you get a good crowd and people have fun. My closest friend is at Bristol uni and they have a very established student club scene there- lots of people go out on mondays and wednesdays to clubs doing student nights. I think I'd like to be able to go out clubbing on average two nights a week. Does this sort of thing happen at Durham? I've heard clubbing isn't such a big thing there and people mainly go to the college bars without going on to somewhere else afterwards. Otherwise great uni, would love to get an offer!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
most people in trevs seem to go out at least 2/3 times a week

studio on tuesday
maybe walkabout thursday
planet friday

and you can throw in klute somewhere if you're that way inclined

because the uni is so big all of the clubs are completely filled with studentsfrom monday to thursday night then there is planet of sound at the DSU (big night) on fridays
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
The clubs aren't great, but if you go then there'll usually be a group of people that you know there. If you want a proper night out, then Newcastle isn't far away either.
Come up for an open day and you'll see what the place is like.
Havent actually been to Newcastle clubbing, but i have a couple of friends from Newcastle who say its brlliant (albeit expensive). Middlesbrough is GREAT for clubbing...there is a free bus that goes between the campuses, and it takes about 10 minutes extra on that bus to get to Boro from Queens Campus. Its quite embarassing actually how Teeside Uni seem to have gotten their nightlife sorted when Durham Uni can be a bit lacking at times...
Reply 4
The few clubs that durham possesses are very popular… you won't have any trouble finding people who want to go to them on a regular basis. I've only really been to studio and planet (weekly union event), which are both pretty fun in my experience. And cheap (well, student night in studio is only 50p).
Reply 5
vickyrkenya
Havent actually been to Newcastle clubbing, but i have a couple of friends from Newcastle who say its brlliant (albeit expensive). Middlesbrough is GREAT for clubbing...there is a free bus that goes between the campuses, and it takes about 10 minutes extra on that bus to get to Boro from Queens Campus. Its quite embarassing actually how Teeside Uni seem to have gotten their nightlife sorted when Durham Uni can be a bit lacking at times...
Newcastle isn't expensive if you go to the right places, in some cases it can even be cheaper than durham
Reply 6
vickyrkenya

Not really, Teeside has a large population to keep clubs going throughout the vacations, whilst Durham is largely an aged population. Though there are locals, there just aren't enough to keep up a big nightlife whilst all the students are away. Teeside has the majorly populated areas of Middlesbrough and Stockton to keep them going.

Also, you need to realise that Durham is a historic city and building new clubs is VERY hard - firstly you need to get permission to build which is HARD to get since most areas need to be conserved. Secondly Durham is a very small place on hills and cobbles, where the hell do you build a new club? On the outskirts - who's going to go to that club then??! Teeside isn't exactly a historic area. It's an area in decline so land is cheap and people are willing to let people build anything. Also the land is FLAT unlike Durham, and Teeside is a BIG area.

Therefore, Teeside will have better nightlife. Duh :rolleyes: :wink:
Reply 7
dobbs
Not really, Teeside has a large population to keep clubs going throughout the vacations, whilst Durham is largely an aged population. Though there are locals, there just aren't enough to keep up a big nightlife whilst all the students are away.

Really? There are locals? :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 8
Locals are rowdy, dirty people. Saw some form of bitchfight going on last night. Doubt my two bessies got a good impression tut Durham! I really dont get a good impression of the locals, so awful!!
Reply 9
RobbieC
Locals are rowdy, dirty people. Saw some form of bitchfight going on last night. Doubt my two bessies got a good impression tut Durham! I really dont get a good impression of the locals, so awful!!

Sorry they haven't had the same opportunities that many of us have had, or the same upbringing that we have had. Damn, if only we could wipe them out :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Ridiculous. People who get rough and violent when they drink should not drink full stop. And just because we are at a great University and had an education doesn't automatically mean we had an easy upbringing relative to them. Infact, I'd bet my bottom dollar my family is significantly poorer and less together than many of theirs.

Basically it's not what life throws at people what's important, it's how they resolve to deal with it. Seemingly many of our lovely locals choose a rather unresourceful self to show people.
Reply 11
Robbie, do you spend much time out in Chelmsford? For goodness sake, it's hardly a problem that is endemic in Durham. Lumping people who fight outside clubs in with 100,000 other people who happen to live in the same place and clean your college, are your porters, look after college admin and generally do most of the work together as 'locals' does them and you an injustice.
To harp on about 'how they resolve to deal with it' smacks of snobbery of the extremely conservative kind and I expected much better of you.
Reply 12
Pff everywhere has "locals" if, by locals, you mean relatively low income, uneducated people who get drunk and have fights - god knows weston has enough of them, and I'm sure all of our home towns do. It's not fair to dismiss everyone who isn't a student in Durham as a "dirty, rowdy local" - you're talking about our cleaners, dinner ladies (who are bloody lovely) and god knows who else, without whom it would be impossible to study here...

Okay i'm essentially repeating Ali word for word but basically everywhere has thugs not just durham and for the most part the locals are absolutely top.
Reply 13
I can honestly say I have never been bored in Durham! I have been out in Newcastle once since I've been here. It's fun and not that expensive. The club I went to was the same price as Durham and it was full of students :rolleyes:
Got the train, had a meal, lots of drinks and went to a club all for £20-25. Not bad really.:smile:
Reply 14
wooage for becca!
Reply 15
Maybe it was a generalisation, admittedly. But I do believe my experiences in nights out here have been markedly worse. It's as if the locals just hate us because we are students. And when I say locals im referring to guys like those who beat up Richards friend in an assault one week ago near prebends bridge. 3 of them just beat the hell out of him, for what I understand was no reason.

I've rarely heard of similar instances back home, at least far less frequently.
Reply 16
RobbieC
Maybe it was a generalisation, admittedly. But I do believe my experiences in nights out here have been markedly worse. It's as if the locals just hate us because we are students. And when I say locals im referring to guys like those who beat up Richards friend in an assault one week ago near prebends bridge. 3 of them just beat the hell out of him, for what I understand was no reason.

I've rarely heard of similar instances back home, at least far less frequently.

Have you read the latest edition of Palatinate?
That girl must be a complete mental ******. "Locals" don't have a problem with people just out to have a good time, they have a problem with those who try to either blend in by having "caked on foundation" and talking in fake accents (and hence stand out like a pork pie at a bar-mitzvah), or those who go out dressed in ridiculous rah clothes waving around wadges of £50 notes. I've never been out on North Road at the weekend, but mainly because I have no desire to, since I'd rather hang around with my student friends than a load of tanked-up strangers.
Ok, why has the filter blocked out the word R3t4rd?
Mattmoy_2000
That girl must be a complete mental ******. "Locals" don't have a problem with people just out to have a good time, they have a problem with those who try to either blend in by having "caked on foundation" and talking in fake accents (and hence stand out like a pork pie at a bar-mitzvah), or those who go out dressed in ridiculous rah clothes waving around wadges of £50 notes.

Hahah they actually put on fake accents, I've never known anyone who's done that before in Durham!

Latest

Trending

Trending