The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

shower upside down. Problem solved. And yes, after a while, I imagine she would stink.
Reply 21
I've never heard of Hindu's doing that tbh and I'm from a family of Hindu's :|
Reply 22
That's actually disgusting. D;
Also, do people actually wear tampons when they wash? Surely that's defying the point? I don't know.
But, I know I wouldn't leave the house without washing on an average day let alone when I'm on my period. Blergh.
I just NC'd.
:lolwut: !!

I'm muslim..and I actually shower twice a day without fail..I think its disgusting that she doesnt shower for 4 days :erm: :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
So some blood is going to run down your leg whilst in the shower- ****ing get over yourself.
Reply 26
Muslim women are considered to be dirty when they're on their periods, to the extent that God won't even accept their 5 a day prayers so I guess it doesn't really make a difference to them as they consider themsleves to be dirty at that time anyway
Reply 27
ok thanks for the opinions :redface: :smile:

I have close liberal friends who are Muslim but not that practising, they wash properly. One of them is v. Western and she is hygienic. I knew a lot of people in high school who smelled of period blood though who were Muslim, the girl who I'm talking about was brought up the same way of thinking said none of her friends shower when on their periods.

We aren't supposed to go near kitchen/ god when on period, in Hinduism. I think it is to give the women a rest, when on their period? A lot of Hindus I know, have to sit far away when their pussy bleeds. I don't ever follow that but know many who carry that out, someone else has to cook instead when they're on period. Also when I was a kid, mum told me not to wash hair on Wednesday as it is bad luck, didn't follow it after primary school though. :redface: If I ever found out this was the same with Hindus/ Indians I know, sure as heck would think they're freaks too for not washing on period.

I can understand maybe there is an issue with being on period, in different culture/ religions. Didn't think it would be this drastic, unreasonable and I can't get my head around that :s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous
He said though that in our religion/ culture, the woman are seen as inferior though when on period etc. He said our religious isn't AS silly as Islam but some parts are as with most religions, if you really read into religious books but they're old fashioned.

Without being bothered to look it up, from what I know, the Bible and possibly the Qur'an dictate that a woman is unclean and everything she touches is unclean whilst on her period. Perhaps the reasoning here, with this girl, is that there's no point showering when on your period because you are unclean anyway, and then you can properly purify/cleanse yourself only when you've ended the period? I mean, it's BS anyway, but just trying to think of reasons behind it. It certainly isn't dirty TO shower! Does sound like common sense has been unceremoniously chucked out of the window here. How disgusting, and unpleasant for people around her. :frown:

ps: unless it's unclear, i mentioned the bible and qu'ran and not other holy texts/ religions because they're the only ones i have even a tiny grasp on, and am using them as a general basis for the main religions. no offence intended.
(edited 12 years ago)
The beauty of showers is that water washes other substances away :lolwut:
Reply 30
:lolwut: That is disgusting.

Has she never heard of tampons? :confused:

Two showers at day when I'm on my period.. Sometimes 3.. (I sometimes shower when I get in as well as in the morning and before bed..)
Reply 31
Original post by Mel20
Muslim women are considered to be dirty when they're on their periods, to the extent that God won't even accept their 5 a day prayers so I guess it doesn't really make a difference to them as they consider themsleves to be dirty at that time anyway

that is ridiculous, if that is what they believe! having your period is such a natural thing. In Hinduism, I know you are not meant to pray or go into temple but how can a religion consider you to be dirty? If you didn't have periods you wouldn't be able to have kids. and that is the most natural thing about life. why do they think that that is dirty? :rolleyes:
Reply 32
It's actually shocking how many people don't wash when they're on, and how many people do wash but with a tampon in. I don't know about everyone else but I think that being hygienic beats being squeamish hands down.
Original post by Anonymous
Yea, I try to ignore most people from my poor chavvy area/ people from my ****ty high school who aren't educated and are full of stupid crap. She's falls in both criterion unfortunately, my girl's highschool that I went to and area...

I'm not a practising Hindu at all nor that cultural. The way am brought up at home is v. liberal, Western approach. She's Muslim Pakistani, 22 and most people in my high school/ crap area are like that. So it is like being on a different planet. I felt woozy, sick thinking about how this is even possible, to not wash for that long, let along when not on period. I wash once a day in the morning, wash hair every 3/4 days. When on period, make sure to thoroughly wash myself longer, each time using toilet paper/ changing pad use tissues and wet wons properly.

I looked at her fingers and she had chewed them, even the skin on all her fingers including nails was gone, I told her wtf that's gross?! Your skin is hanging, she said she likes chewing on her finger skin. :s-smilie: I put two and two together, from her not washing when on period and thought, well I can't imagine the amount of germs on you. She's always claiming to be sick practically everyday, takes sickies loads and is always late. I'm going to stop sharing food with her, freaks me out how many more people do this though too. Ew!

Dad said that's ****ing gross. He said though that in our religion/ culture, the woman are seen as inferior though when on period etc. He said our religious isn't AS silly as Islam but some parts are as with most religions, if you really read into religious books but they're old fashioned. Even Mum was like, don't listen to stupid people who come out with crap, that's gross but just leave it be and don't pay attention to that sort of dumbness.

I don't think this is really about her being a Muslim - it's about her being a bit of an idiot, which is different. I think you do go on about her being a Muslim far too much when it's clearly not that relevant to her general hygiene issues. Also, you sound kind of aggressive and angry about it? Sure, it's not very nice, but it really isn't THAT big a deal if someone is a bit gross. Some people just are, and the best thing to do is to just avoid them!
Reply 34
".....religious isn't AS silly as Islam " I lost respect for you. All my muslim friends are 10x more clean that my white friends, there should be no need for me to state that because you dont go around saying things like this, obviously because you can't generalise .. I live in a really nice area, but I can imagine areas of lower class being worse (for all cultures and religions) SOOOO SICK of reading about religion on tsr, it making me sick. THIS ISSUE IS NOT RELIGIOUS YOU IDIOT !!!! go educate yourself, travel outside your zone
Reply 35
Original post by jellyfish123
I don't think this is really about her being a Muslim - it's about her being a bit of an idiot, which is different. I think you do go on about her being a Muslim far too much when it's clearly not that relevant to her general hygiene issues. Also, you sound kind of aggressive and angry about it? Sure, it's not very nice, but it really isn't THAT big a deal if someone is a bit gross. Some people just are, and the best thing to do is to just avoid them!

^agreed. So sick idiotic statements like this
OP stop implying Islam orders women not to shower, whilst on T.O.M!

Not to be gross, but I don't ever bleed in the shower when I'm on, so theres no mess or anything like that.
Original post by hali0112
that is ridiculous, if that is what they believe! having your period is such a natural thing. In Hinduism, I know you are not meant to pray or go into temple but how can a religion consider you to be dirty? If you didn't have periods you wouldn't be able to have kids. and that is the most natural thing about life. why do they think that that is dirty? :rolleyes:

Please try not to listen to ignorant Muslims. Islam says that women are exempt from praying whilst on their period because during that time of the month they are weak(er) than usual. It's gonna hurt if you have to bow down and get up etc to pray, so we are excused altogether :smile:
Reply 38
I think it's disgustingly vile if people don't even shower daily, let alone on their period.

She needs to knock some sense into her head... these unhygienic issues can lead to something else? :/
I shower everyday, regardless of whether I'm on or not...

(I'm a Hindu, and there's nothing in the religion about that... Just not to pray whilst menstruating...)

Latest