The Student Room Group

Is it normal for armpit hair to grow back so quickly?

I'm a girl, and, well, the clue is in the title really :tongue: I literally shave my armpits, and less than 24 hours later, I am already getting little stubbly bits grow back. I always have a slight shadowy patch under there too which is really unattractive :frown:

Anyone else get this? Is it normal for it to grow back so quickly? My friends tell me they can go a whole week without needing to shave their armpits. I feel abnormal :frown: what can I do about this?
Reply 1
Best thing I've found is not to shave but to wax. It kills at first but you get used to it and it's so much better then shaving. I still shave once in a while but more often then not I wax it off.
Original post by ^^^HHH^^^
Best thing I've found is not to shave but to wax. It kills at first but you get used to it and it's so much better then shaving. I still shave once in a while but more often then not I wax it off.

See waxing is amazing, BUT its the growing that sucks. Surely you must have to leave your armpits quite some time to get them the length required to wax.

OP, I think thats pretty standard. Every female I know (including myself :tongue:) moan about the shortness of shaving. I am lucky as my leg hair doesn't grow back that fast...but arm's does :angry:
Reply 3
Original post by ^^^HHH^^^

OUCH how painful is it for the first time, on a scale of 1 to 10? I've always wanted to wax but i'm terrified...
Reply 4
I tried waxing once, it didnt go very well and ended up with a very soar arm pit. :frown:

Some tips on alternatives to waxing and shaving anyone?
Reply 5
I think armpit hair grows back faster than leg hair. In my experience anyway. I do mine a couple times a week compared to my legs about once.
Original post by Stanza
I tried waxing once, it didnt go very well and ended up with a very soar arm pit. :frown:

Some tips on alternatives to waxing and shaving anyone?

Have you tried epilating? The device is like a shaver except it's 40 tweezers plucking your hairs out. Sounds terrifying but it works! Smooth armpits for weeks.
mine the same:frown: the next day its not even long but it looks shadowy and dark so it looks longer than it is. then its not long enough to shave it again. I got it waxed when i went on holiday and it was much better, i didnt have to bother even thinking about it all week so try waxing:smile: its less painful than i thought it would be too:smile:
the more u shave the faster it grows back
Reply 9
Original post by diving_queen
See waxing is amazing, BUT its the growing that sucks. Surely you must have to leave your armpits quite some time to get them the length required to wax.

OP, I think thats pretty standard. Every female I know (including myself :tongue:) moan about the shortness of shaving. I am lucky as my leg hair doesn't grow back that fast...but arm's does :angry:

You don't have to wait for epilating :wink: Not as long anyway. If you notice any coming through you can zap them straight away rather than waiting to wax...

OP, that seems normal. I epilate now and it is much better than it was. Painful at first but you get used to it :p:
Reply 10
Original post by Ayshizzle
OUCH how painful is it for the first time, on a scale of 1 to 10? I've always wanted to wax but i'm terrified...

The first time it's VERY painful I’m not going to lie. I started waxing when I was 14 and it's no longer painful and my hair is very fine and barely grows now. So the pain is worth it.
Reply 11
There's never an easy solution. Shaving is painless but you gotta do it often.
Waxing hurts, but hey, hair grows back slowly.
Epilating FF(*(*&*&!!! hurts! But hair grows back really really slowly.
Laser? Too expensive. Just continue with shaving, and give your two fellas a swipe every time you pop in the shower, it isn't really going to take that long. Laser might be worth it in the long run, but as always, look up reviews on certain products/treatments you decide to go for.

Edit: Yes! As all posters above, you do eventually get used to pain and your body adjusts by making your (armpit) hair grow much more slowly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
I don't mind shaving every day, I just do it every morning in the shower and it takes about two seconds.

Sometimes I forget, but I've never let it grow for more than two days since the hair's been there. I hate regrowth, that's why I could never wax.

My sister uses an epilator for hers, and I also just bought one but I don't think I will use it on my underarms because she once caught her skin in it, and it was very sore and healing for weeks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Yes, it's normal. I shave under my arms every morning in the shower, it's definitely the fastest growing hair :mad: The reason I do every day is mainly cos I think when I sweat, the sweat dries on the hair and starts to smell. Plus as the person up there said, it takes what, 10 seconds?

I think you probably would get better results from waxing or epilating, but it's up to you really.
Yeh armpit hair grows back quickly. I do mine every day in summer when I'm wearing strappy tops, or every second day in winter.
Reply 15
I'm the same, within 24hrs I have stubbly hair coming through.. So I have to shave under my arms every other day..
it's quite normal, and the dark underarms too, don't worry !

Quick Reply

Latest