The Student Room Group

5 Muslim countries have had a woman president, but the USA still hasn't, why is US...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dirac Delta Function
The Iraqi parliament is also 25% female. In fact, it's a constitutionally-mandated quota.

The cabinet, on the other hand, is a different story.

But credit to Pakistan for accepting a female leader, even if she was corrupt. The Islamofascists would never allow that were it down to them.

True true.

Yes, she was corrupt. It is understandable as to why people hated her- her corruption, dodgy dealings, dodgy husband,really impacted the ground reality.

She also did a lot of reforms for the country as well- suppose every corrupt dealer does one good thing they are know for.

25%- a start... Nice to see an Arab country making progress.
Original post by crazycake93
Exactly, the same arguement can be used for Bush sr and Bush jr.

The fact is people voted for her. She didn't win on fraudulent basis. Pakistan elected her fairly despite her dodgy past.

Fraudulent elections is prevalent in a third world, backward country, not so democratic oh wait, we're talking about the USA which allowed both Bushes to be leader on a questionable fraudulent basis.

Same argument can't be used.
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I don't understand this logic.
Muslims aren't in some shape or form tied together as if they form some union or a federal state.
If we are using that logic- could you follow the lines of USA being a Christian country....

I find your logic- complex, complicated, illogical, and ill-thought.

The USA- is a chief liberator of the Muslim world. It should follow by example. Should have elected a female leader by now.

It took to the late noughties- for a woman (Hillary) to be a serious contender for a presidential role.

For Pakistan- a country that is barely born, had a female leader contender in the late 50's/early 60's.
Bangladesh- had many female contenders up until electing a female leader.
Even Iraq has a 25% female quota nowadays...

THAT is illogical and ill-thought. To suggest you need a female leader to fit some sort of quota is silly IMO. The only people they should be electing into the role of president are those who are the best for the job. Male or female. And you could argue they have done that.
The fact is people voted for her. She didn't win on fraudulent basis. Pakistan elected her fairly despite her dodgy past.

Fraudulent elections is prevalent in a third world, backward country, not so democratic oh wait, we're talking about the USA which allowed both Bushes to be leader on a questionable fraudulent basis.

Same argument can't be used.

Wouldn't be suprised if wikileak cables provide information into fraudulent voting in the USA.
Reply 84
The OP has a point.

Imagine, if the US had an elected Female President and the Muslim World had never elected a Female leader.

People on tsr (typical) would be using this as a point and bang on about it constantly.

The fact remains, that 5 Muslim countries have elected female leaders yet the the US has never even once elected a female leader.
Some of these Muslim countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh are far younger, in fact barely in their infancy as countries. The US being far far older as a country. Perhaps a stark difference can be drawn from here.

When someone highlights this, to show the hypocrisy and ignorance- people cry "foul" on here.

This
I'd rather be told what to do by a woman than an Arab.
Yeah but here's the funny this there's no where in the constitutions that states women can't become president and given that America is a democracy + women to men ratio is pretty similar, the reason why women in America haven't been voted in is because they haven't been deemed fit by the general public. Not because of their gender rather policies.

Anyway, you do realize according to Sunni Islam (90% of Muslims believe in btw) women CAN NOT be rulers, right? How about that for progressiveness? Every Muslim in the whole world knows that there is currently NO Islamic state and that all supposed Muslim countries don't adhere to the Qu'ran thus we shouldn't even be attributing the success of Muslim women rulers to Islam rather external non-Islamic influences which isn't something a Muslim should be proud of lol.
Original post by x_muneeb_x
Benazir Bhutto and Sheikh Hasina were both daughters of the most popular politicians so it was quite easy for them really.

Any ways muslim countries are not considered anti-women for this reason. A women in the US can wear whatever she wants , whenever she wants and **** who ever she wants. Now imagine a drunk girl in a mini skirt walking the streets of a muslim country . Chances are she's going to jail isn't she ?

So wt ur saying is the pinnacle of female power is the ability to be able to get completely smashed n have intercourse with strangers... wow u have such low morales
Original post by Killuminati1989

Original post by Killuminati1989
So wt ur saying is the pinnacle of female power is the ability to be able to get completely smashed n have intercourse with strangers... wow u have such low morales

Did he say that? No, he didn't. Did he imply that? No, he didn't. What did he imply? Females in the west have the ablity to freely decide their own morals if that includes what you described then so be it.
face it u want to **** muslim women

thats what white man thinks about

no offence
just say it

this what it is all about
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Benazir Bhutto and Sheikh Hasina were both daughters of the most popular politicians so it was quite easy for them really.

Any ways muslim countries are not considered anti-women for this reason. A women in the US can wear whatever she wants , whenever she wants and **** who ever she wants. Now imagine a drunk girl in a mini skirt walking the streets of a muslim country . Chances are she's going to jail isn't she ?

Yes, and look what they did to Bhutto
Reply 91
Why hasn't Britain had a black?

no offence
just say it

Reply 93

LOL no
Benazir Bhutto actually won an election in election against male candidates. And in Bangladesh both the parties are led by women, so cant just say they come from popular families. Because no one stays popular in politics for long.

So according to you Freedom is wearing miniskirts and getting Drunk ?
Many Feminists would argue that women who wear miniskirts actually damage the legacy of the suffragette.
Asian Countries are conservative culturally,so not really a religious issue

In Traditional societies women are actually happier and see less off perverts
if a women in america walked down the street showing no flesh but had a bottle of Alcohol in a see through bag she would be arrested
The point is muslim countries do vote for women

no offence
just say it

still waiting for reply

no body as replyed yet so yes you do

this what is all about
simple
i think i shut mr white man so
end of debate
Original post by Kenocide
I am loth to join in this debate in earnest because it's just stupid and as usual people are debating at cross purposes. But you I just could not ignore.

Oh, you make me feel so special... my darling :colondollar:

Promiscuity and alcoholism are bad for any society, if they feel they want to stamp them out before they even take root, good for them I guess. - it is not being debated whether or not being promiscuous or drinking is 'bad' for society or even whether it should be legislated against - it's the fact that, in certain countries, men are legally allowed to do such things and women are not. This is what is being argued. Hence the whole thread is pretty much about sex discrimination.

Actually, no that isn't what I was talking about. Care to spell out how you came to this conclusion?

The subject of this debate was the now infamous country of Pakistan... do you have any evidence of this happening in Pakistan? As far as I am aware, anybody is allowed to drink alcohol in Pakistan as long as it is in private. I don't know if that is set out in law or whether its just a convention that has come about. But that is beside the point. I doubt you even have any evidence that there is a bias in applying any alcohol related law in Pakistan.

Whether or not you do is completely irrelevant anyway, because you totally missed the point of what I was saying. Can you not glean the gist of my post? I didn't say anything that was sexist. I'm just not too bothered about what goes on in other countries and you got the subject matter of my post totally wrong.

Really, I don't have a problem with how any foreign state governs itself unless they are 'oppressing' their people and even then I set a high threshold for counts as 'oppression', otherwise I'm not really bothered. - So denying women equal rights to men doesn't constitute oppression? Brilliant.

In light of what I said above, this is irrelevant nonsense again, because I didn't say what you think I said.

Even then I don't think the right to consume alcohol or do other 'morally' incorrect things is a basic human right. I under morals are a totally subjective thing, so our morals (western society) are usually very different from those in other countries around the world...
Reply 97
Now imagine a drunk girl in a mini skirt walking the streets of a muslim country . Chances are she's going to jail isn't she ?

Well no, she would be sentenced to prison, but there would be an arrest and some kind of prosecution, but so would there be if a topless drunken man did the same thing.
Reply 98
Dude i am from Pakistan. Do you know which females mp's or ministers are in power? The ones who suck up to the president or party leader. Besides most female mp's in Pakistan do not even get ELECTED ! They have reserved seats. Oh and so i guess you do agree to the fact now that the only reason Benazir was elected was because Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was her father who was actually a great leader . On the other hand Benazir Bhutto was a **** who was a corrupt bitch.

Apparently, a lot more than the US.
The US congress- 13% are women
Pakistani Parliament- nearly 25% are women

How do they manage to get seats? Aren't elections are regular thing when Pakistan is under a democracy?

She was elected nonetheless. Doesn't matter if her father was elected 2/3 decades before she was. She still got elected.

In all parties across the world you have to suck up the party leader

they do get elected, the constitution which was passed with majority support gives women and minorities some seats
Call it positive discrimination .

In the UK there is have appointed Lords no democracy, and in India there used to be a upper chamber made up of royal families . So dont dismiss the reserve system

In any case most of the women dont come via the reserve system.
Benazir won because she promoted the popular ideas of her father, but her victory was not guaranteed and if the people of pakistan where intolerant they wouldve voted for a male alternative ( Her brother)

In Pakistan the Speaker of Parliament and Foreign Minister are women

Corruption allegations is irrelevant when talking about women rights . You can accuse George Bush of being in the hands of the Lobbyists etc

Exactly Benazir was elected, would you vote for Churchill's Daughter just because her father was a great PM unless you had confidence in her ?

Hilary Clinton and Bill Clinton ?
George Bush and his grandfather Prescott Bush
Rand Paul and Ron Paul
The Kennedy Family

why double standards for east vs west
Original post by sarah124
..so anti-woman?

The five Muslim majority countries that had female presidents are:

Indonesia, the most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Megawati Sukarnoputri as president.

Pakistan, the second most populous Muslim-majority country, twice (non-consecutively) elected Benazir Bhutto as prime minister.

Bangladesh, the third most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Khaleda Zia and Sheikh Hasina as prime ministers.

Turkey, the fifth most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Tansu Çiller as prime minister.

In the Muslim majority region of Kosovo, President Atifete Jahjaga was unanimously elected by the Assembly of Kosovo on April 7, 2011

Furthermore, nearly one-third of the Parliament of Egypt- the fifth most populous Muslim majority nation- also consists of women

And not only that, women still hold leadership positions in the Muslim world. They can range from companies, corporations, government, town management, village leaders, etc.

I think its pretty hypocrtical for some Americans to simply diss our religion and people for "oppressing" women, considering that they never actually had a woman leader and discrimination against women is well hidden in US politics.

BTW, if a woman gets elected as president in America that's great. But NOT for the reason of her being a woman but for her achievements and competence.But I'm just pointing it out....

No, because if you truly cared about somebody being elected on the basis of their achievements and competence you wouldn't have even made this thread since you wouldn't even care what sex the presidents were.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending