Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm intending to give blood for the first time on thursday and I just wanted to check out a few things (blood service website wasn't very helpful).

1. How much do I have to weigh to give blood?

2. I went to China almost exactly six months ago but it may have been a day or two off six months ago. Does this tiny fraction of time matter or does it not need to be exactly six months since I was in an area of risk?

3. If I had sex recently with someone who's sexual health status I am not sure about (he could be HIV positive or have had hepatitus for all I know) but used a condom would it be ok to give blood? (I assumed it would be but knowing that condoms aren't 100% effective Iwasn't sure if the risk would be sufficiently negligible)

4. Do I need to register prior to attending the session or can I register and donate in the same session?

5. Also just wondered what it actually feels like to give blood (not that I'd be put off if it is painful but I like to be prepared for the worst!)

Any information greatly appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

ReputationRep:
    A woman has to be 8 stones or more before she can give blood so I never have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXeleanoraXx)
    I'm intending to give blood for the first time on thursday and I just wanted to check out a few things (blood service website wasn't very helpful).

1. How much do I have to weigh to give blood?

2. I went to China almost exactly six months ago but it may have been a day or two off six months ago. Does this tiny fraction of time matter or does it not need to be exactly six months since I was in an area of risk?

3. If I had sex recently with someone who's sexual health status I am not sure about (he could be HIV positive or have had hepatitus for all I know) but used a condom would it be ok to give blood? (I assumed it would be but knowing that condoms aren't 100% effective Iwasn't sure if the risk would be sufficiently negligible)

4. Do I need to register prior to attending the session or can I register and donate in the same session?

5. Also just wondered what it actually feels like to give blood (not that I'd be put off if it is painful but I like to be prepared for the worst!)

Any information greatly appreciated, thanks

1. 8 stone..or is it 7 1/2?..not sure either way they cant weigh you so if your DEAD set on giving blood you can blag it by wearing a big jumper

.day or two?...if its really so few i VERYmuch doubt it

3.i think it should be fine..they ask you these questions there when you sign up so dont worry..if its not suitable they will let you know...

4.you register there.(or at least i did).if its one of those donation sessions that come around every few months and set up in a town /church hall these are the worst..they usually are understaffed and there is a long wait to register/give blood..so be prepared..if its a centre thats open all year round for donations its not so bad..anyway....and doctors asks you questions..give you a pin prick test and let you know if your not suitable to give blood

5.its not painful...its a pin prick in the arm..the strange part is 'pumping' it out..you have to squeeze your hand open and closed to sort of aid the blood leaving your body...it doesnt hurt but i wouldnt recommend looking at your arm with the needle in becuase the skin stretches where the needle is inserted and looks a bit ick (that my opinion) your arm sometimes feels a bit tingly afterwards...a bit like your leg might when your on your period ( i dont know if you get that sensation)

any more questions pm me
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I went through the arduous process of filling in the extensive form about my health - considering the sexual health of all of my sexual partners (ooh I wonder if he had unprotected sex with another man etc...) I had an unidentified tropical illness when I was three - should I mention that? When I finally decided that the form was completed to the best of my ability, I turned it over and quickly read over the bit that says, you should not give blood if... Well, I didn't have a cough, wan't pregnant but then at the bottom it said, have received a blood transfusion in the UK since January 1980 (had 8 hip operations when I was 18months old) bah! that ruled me out so I didn't give blood. Now they keep sending me reminders that I said I would give blood and demanding when am I going to 'save a life'. As if I don't feel guilty enough! :p:

ReputationRep:
    How old do you have to be to give blood?

ReputationRep:
    17. A few months after your 17th birthday they send you a letter saying 'We Want Your Blood' (it's quite scary actually) and you send off the slip at the bottom saying you do. They then send you a video and a leaflet telling you when and where your next session is and a medical questionnaire.

ReputationRep:
    cool, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt get a letter .

ReputationRep:
    i donated yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    i didnt get a letter .
    how old are you? I turned 17 in the october and got my letter in march.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    i didnt get a letter .

i didn't get one either...i just turned up at a session :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sydney)
    how old are you? I turned 17 in the october and got my letter in march.
    i turned 17 last may.

ReputationRep:
    I am giving blood on thursday too for the first time! I am excited and aprehensive at the same time, i am most worried about the pumping bit but oh well! Blood transfusions have saved the life of my dad and mum several times, and if i can do the same for someone else then so be it!

Lou
    xxx
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's not scary, it's really cool! Your blood is collected under your bed so you can't see it, but if you look at someone else's there's a machine thing that wobbles the bag!

And you get tea and biscuits afterwards! There were even a few kit kats when I went!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone I'm actually quite looking forward to it in a kind of morbid way, will be most disappointed if I'm not heavy enough! mmm...tea and biscuits in return for a couple of pints of blood, good deal!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't yet given blood. I may do so in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXeleanoraXx)
    Thanks for the replies everyone I'm actually quite looking forward to it in a kind of morbid way, will be most disappointed if I'm not heavy enough! mmm...tea and biscuits in return for a couple of pints of blood, good deal!
    you could weigh yourself at home before you go.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I decided to give blood last year after donating white blood cells to my uncle who was suffering from cancer for the second time...even the thought of having the blood test to see if i was a match scared me, i thought it was a long shot that i would be a match, thinking that my uncle's to children would match...but they didnt!!

I was really nervous the first time i give white blood cells, i had a needle coming out of my left arm with the blood going through a machine to seperate the white blood cells, then having the rest of the blood pumped back in to me through my right wrist!! it took two hours and i needed to do it again twice more over the next two weeks!

With all the medical tests (weight, height, ECG of my heart etc...) i had to go through before i gave blood and the actually giving of the blood it was really draining...but it was all worth it my uncle is better and fingers crossed it will stay that way!

Because of this experience i decided to give blood, i thought i'd be fine but consider all the needles i'd had in me and the amount of blood taken from me, but i didnt even manage to fill a bag!! as i felt faint!!! unfortunatly if this happens again i wont be able to give blood again.

Good luck to everyone who is giving blood soon, i am so pleased i managed to get over my fears and help my uncle, lets hope we can save some more people.

ReputationRep:
    I did it today! It was absolutely fine, everyone was really friendly and there isnt anything to be scared of at all really! I feel good about myself too now... and they had custard cream biscuits! What more could you ask for!

Lou
    xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.