Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a theory in my mind and i want u ppl to check it and discuss on it

---------------------------------------------------------
    An atom has infinite number of energy levels and an electron is only promoted to a certain energy level if it gets the sufficient amount of energy remaining under the attraction of proton(s) (Quantum theory).
    The electric potential of an atom is also upto infinity (i.e. The electron will always be under influence of nucleus at any distance in space)
    Therefore an atom cannot be ionized independently in space , until another positive charge or atom is close to it.
    Inorder to ionize an atom the must be at the maximum electric potential and zero net force on electron at any energy level.
    At that level, the electron is completely out of the influence of nucleus and any extra energy provided will lose the electron to another element with a greater electron negativity.
    therefore Ionization Energy is dependant on Electric Potential.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Sulaiman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driving_seat)
    I have a theory in my mind and i want u ppl to check it and discuss on it

---------------------------------------------------------
    An atom has infinite number of energy levels and an electron is only promoted to a certain energy level if it gets the sufficient amount of energy remaining under the attraction of proton(s) (Quantum theory).
    The electric potential of an atom is also upto infinity (i.e. The electron will always be under influence of nucleus at any distance in space)
    Therefore an atom cannot be ionized independently in space , until another positive charge or atom is close to it.
    Inorder to ionize an atom the must be at the maximum electric potential and zero net force on electron at any energy level.
    At that level, the electron is completely out of the influence of nucleus and any extra energy provided will lose the electron to another element with a greater electron negativity.
    therefore Ionization Energy is dependant on Electric Potential.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Sulaiman
    The ionization energy is dependant on the eigenstate that has the lowest energy state possible and the lowest unbound state (a simplification). Considering the only force acting upon an electron as being the electric force the potential in the Schrodinger equation is simply the Electric Potential.
    So yes the ionization energy is dependant on the Electric Potential (which is not only eminating from the nucleus, but other electrons). However the effect of another atom I do not believe would influence the electric potential to a high degree.
    BTW when an electron is ionized it is NOT beyond the influence of the electric field, it just means that the total energy, ie kinetic and potential of the electron is greater than the potential maxima holding the electron in. Hence one can ionize a hydrogen atom quite easily by using an electric field (not another atom).

ReputationRep:
    Can u specify some about "lowest energy state possible and the lowest unbound state "
    Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driving_seat)
    Can u specify some about "lowest energy state possible and the lowest unbound state "
    Thanx
    Your system has a potential. The units of a potential is energy, in fact it describes the energy that an object has just by being somewhere. We can then overlay this with horizontal lines, representing possible eigenvalue/eigenstates (possible, quantised energies) for an electron. The lowest state possible sits just above the bottom of the 'potential well'.
    One will notice that many of the line will intersect the potential line. This means that outside of the potential, these lines represent that if the particle were to move outside of the potential, its kinetic energy would simply be E - PE, with PE >E, hence kinetic energy is negative, clearly this is a violation of classical mechanics. Thus it is imposible to observe the particle in that energy eigenstate, outside of the 'potential well', thus it is bound.
    If one applies an electric field to the system, one can change the system such the potential lowers at certain points. Thus certain energy eigen states may exist that have higher energies than the potential well, and can in theory extend to infinity, hence are unbound.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2006

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.