The Student Room Group

KPMG - Management Consultancy

I have done some research and used the search function, but i am interested in knowing some more opinions on this.

Basically, how good are KPMG for Management Consulting in relation to the other Big 4?

Obviously they won't be as good as Deloitte and Ernst and Young; and probably nowhere near PwC; but are they a good place to go for Management Consultancy, and could you move from there to one of the other big 4 quite easily if you wanted?

I am just wondering how good they are really and whether they are very weak like I've heard and read.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very briefly, they just aren't up to the others in terms of consultancy within the big4.

I would probably steer a friend towards one of the other big4/accenture, or even capgem over kpmg to be honest.

Could you move from KPMG across to another member of the big 4, yes, with relative ease if they are hiring at your level/skillset
Original post by NW86
Very briefly, they just aren't up to the others in terms of consultancy within the big4.

I would probably steer a friend towards one of the other big4/accenture, or even capgem over kpmg to be honest.

Could you move from KPMG across to another member of the big 4, yes, with relative ease if they are hiring at your level/skillset

Aren't you still in sixth form...
Reply 3
Original post by Iloveinvesting

yawn.

No I'm a senior consultant at EY.

Edit:

Turn's out you made the same joke at me two weeks ago...

How did your GCSEs go?

It wasn't funny then either.
(edited 12 years ago)

Bullocks you are. Linkedin as proof please
Reply 5
Bullocks you are. Linkedin as proof please

Lol, as if I'd give out my linked in on a public forum.

If you're interested a 2,400 post count going back a few years where i actively dicuss going through recruitment process and the type of work i do, and frequently trying to help out people on this forum, would be hard to fake.

Go do the work.
Original post by NW86
Lol, as if I'd give out my linked in on a public forum.

If you're interested a 2,400 post count going back a few years where i actively dicuss going through recruitment process and the type of work i do, and frequently trying to help out people on this forum, would be hard to fake.

Go do the work.

do you work in FSA? lol if so as i probably know you
Reply 7

No... although I have quite a few colleagues in FS.

I'm UK&I advisory
Original post by NW86
yawn.

No I'm a senior consultant at EY.

Edit:

Turn's out you made the same joke at me two weeks ago...

It wasn't funny then either.

LOL, she did the same to me a week ago; thanks for the advice; would you still say joining KPMG as a Management Consultant is a decent thing to do? Obviously if i want to be a management consultant, then it would be better to be one for a not so good firm, than an auditor for say EY, but i want to make sure that KPMG actually is on the map for management consulting i guess.
(edited 12 years ago)

Crap; this makes my EY FSA offer look so much less attractive...
Reply 10
Original post by Industrious Orca
LOL, she did the same to me a week ago; thanks for the advice; would you still say joining KPMG as a Management Consultant is a decent thing to do? Obviously if i want to be a management consultant, then it would be better to be one for a not so good firm, than an auditor for say EY, but i want to make sure that KPMG actually is on the map for management consulting i guess.

It's all about context....

In terms of management consulting (change consulting as opposed to pure strategy consulting) KPMG are the weakest of the big 4.

You'll still be working for the big4.

The majority of people on TSR live in an alternate universe were anything that isn't a tier one strategy house, an FO IB role or going straight into PE with a 1st from oxbridge means you are a failure at life. Which is a ridiculous outlook frankly.

KPMG is still a great brand to have on your cv, is a great place to start a career with decent opportunities, and will have you earning more money than the vast majority of people that graduate at the same time as you. A few years with KPMG on your cv, while not the most solid of MC brands (again, in relative terms) will still stand you will in exit opportunities into both other MCs (very unlikely to be a strat howeverwithout getting an MBA) or into industry.
Original post by NW86
It's all about context....

In terms of management consulting (change consulting as opposed to pure strategy consulting) KPMG are the weakest of the big 4.

You'll still be working for the big4.

The majority of people on TSR live in an alternate universe were anything that isn't a tier one strategy house, an FO IB role or going straight into PE with a 1st from oxbridge means you are a failure at life. Which is a ridiculous outlook frankly.

KPMG is still a great brand to have on your cv, is a great place to start a career with decent opportunities, and will have you earning more money than the vast majority of people that graduate at the same time as you. A few years with KPMG on your cv, while not the most solid of MC brands (again, in relative terms) will still stand you will in exit opportunities into both other MCs (very unlikely to be a strat howeverwithout getting an MBA) or into industry.

Okay, thank you very much for the detailed answer.
Big4 generally seem to be a safer bet in terms of career at a grad level. Too much culling in IB FO, esp. in FICC and sexy areas of Equities.

The smart money is now on big4 as a starting careers rather than FO in IB.
Original post by Industrious Orca
Crap; this makes my EY FSA offer look so much less attractive...

As if anyone would give you an offer. Just give up now mate and get that UCAS form done
As if anyone would give you an offer. Just give up now mate and get that UCAS form done

Haha, you don't even know me; so you work in financial service audit at Ernst and Young at the London office at More London Place right? which division of AM, banking or insurance? Who knows, we might become best friends lol.

Also; i have several internship offers and a place at a top 10 university regularly targeted by investment banks; no need for any UCAS here love.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by uthinkilltellu
Big4 generally seem to be a safer bet in terms of career at a grad level. Too much culling in IB FO, esp. in FICC and sexy areas of Equities.

:eek::eek::eek:

I remember a couple of years back when i was researching Investment banking, you and Prince of Zamunda (along with a few others) were running tings on the IB forum. Extremely surprised to see you say that. I am applying for private wealth management, it that a bad area for graduate jobs atm too?

Yeah, I've been thinking this; i have offers in the big 4 with pretty much guaranteed 20 grand or so for the 3 years i train then jumping to under 30 grand; which isn't low at all; and it's relatively safe as a career prospect and gives me a professional qualification.

But then i'm trying to make it into IBD or more specifically ECM where things are so much less guaranteed. High salary; but worse job security, hours, and if i lost out in the internships for a permanent position, back to applying to graduate positions. Big 4 just seems more certain.

Too many decisions!
Reply 18
I wouldn't wanna steal the thread but sorry this will be a little off-topic. Do people from London go to work at American consultancies like BCG, McKinsey, Bain, etc? I never ever heard anyone mentioning them since I'm in London. They are considered better in consultancy than e.g. Ernst and Young, if I'm not mistaken...
Reply 19
Original post by erklam
I wouldn't wanna steal the thread but sorry this will be a little off-topic. Do people from London go to work at American consultancies like BCG, McKinsey, Bain, etc?

Not all people from London do. But some. Some people in London have jobs outside of the IB&C realm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending